Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just lucked out BIG time on the Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just lucked out BIG time on the Turkey

20 pound fresh turkey spatchcock.
    Brined for 45 minutes in the Marinade express with diluted apple juice/water/spices.
    Into the Memphis Pro at 375. (Temp on Memphis reading 375-IGtill probe reading 385)
    Got to messing around in the yard and walked away from the Grill.
    Came back 2 hours 45 minutes later and the Thigh is at 190 breast at 180 skin black and crackly I mean BURNT looking.
    Figured it was a loss, and planned on an emergency trip to the grocery store to sort through what was left over and start again in the morning.
    Pulled the bird and set it on the counter where the whole family gathered around and generally derided my screw up.
    Let the bird set for 20 minutes and figured what the hell.
    Peeled the black crusty skin away and it revealed one of the most moist flavorful turkeys I've ever done.
    Went ahead and carved it out and into the fridge for tomorrow.
    I wish I was better with the camera because that thing looked GONE!! and turned out delicious.
    All I can figure is that at the higher temp the apple juice burned a little and sealed everything underneath it. Might have been helped by the Marinade express.
    It did strike me strange that a thigh cooked faster than the breast.

Just an observation.
    The 2 hour 45 minute cook time still baffles me.
    Seems WAY to fast to hit those temps.
    Especially on the thighs.

Comment

Sounds like a great recovery. Congrats on the good cook.

Comment

Way to go! Did everyone deriding your cook apologize to you? Like that's ever going to happen, right?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        Rubs Promo
        Meat-Up in Memphis