Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Charcoal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Charcoal

I'm new to smoking. Bought a Weber Smokey Mountain 18 1/2". What's the best charcoal to use?

General consensus... Kingsford blue bag. tried and true. YMMV

Comment

• wildwood bbq
      wildwood bbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Kingsford blue. Started using some stubbs briquettes recently for the pure hardwood. Happy so far. Not sure if I can recommend stubbs yet

I generally agree with Kingsford blue bag (KBB). But when it is cold outside, I use Cowboy natural and/or Stubbs lump. They burn hotter which can be important to me when the ambient temp is pretty cold, robbing the smoker of needed heat.

I THINK Kingsford championship also burns hotter than KBB, but not entirely sure of that.

Comment

Kingsford for general grilling and rib or one hunk of meat cooking in the Pit Barrel.

B & B Hardwoods briquettes when you need a much longer burn time.

About to try some B & B lump for turkey and chicken.

Comment

The good thing about Kingsford blue bag is that it is probably what the guy who wrote the recipe used, too. It is a standard that everyone can refer to.

Regarding lump, I got pulled into this discussion a couple times over at the BGE forums and now I stay away. My opinion is you should find something that is easy to get, and then use it all the time so that you are used to the way it performs in your grill/oven.

Comment

Kingsford white and blue

Comment

Thanks all for the info. Going to smoke a 16# turkey for Thanksgiving. Outside temp will be in the 20's in Bismarck so I'll take the suggestion of going with the hotter Stubbs or Cowboy.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
              Danjohnston949 commented
              Editing a comment
              KPC,Here in Fargo! I am going to Smoke a Turkey on Thursday as well! I will be using a Weber Kettle and a S 'n S with Kingsford Blue Bag, Applewood Chunks for Smoke! 👍👍🦃👍👍. Happy Thanksgiving, Eat Well and Prosper! Dan
              Last edited by Danjohnston949; November 24, 2015, 06:28 PM.

The colder the temperature the more I have to control the heat on my Royal Oak Special Edition grill. I have cindered some good cuts on the coldest days. Now i use less KBB to start and keep a very close eye on what is going on. All grills have their quirks but I have had this for several years and use it year round.

Comment

For the average backyard chef with a kettle, I tend to tell them that KINGSFORD Blue Bag is the best way to go. It's terribly consistent. However, to my mind, it also produces a lot of ash. That's the only downside of KINGSFORD.

Now if I'm using lump in my Komodo Kamado, I'm using FOGO lump and nothing else. It's hallmarks are that it's dense, burns hot, is overwhelmingly XL and L sized pieces, has a really nice almost neutral odor, and every bag is nothing but lump. There are no rocks, etc. as you can find in other lumps.

So, in my world, it's either FOGO or KINGSFORD. Either way, you will never go wrong.

Comment

• richinlbrg
                richinlbrg commented
                Editing a comment
                CeramicChef , I've not seen FOGO, is it a regional product, or do you have it delivered?

• CeramicChef
                CeramicChef commented
                Editing a comment
                richinlbrg - I was originally introduced and ordered all my FOGO through Amazon. You can order direct via the FOGO website at TheRealBBQ.com. Note that on the website delivery is an additional charge.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            Rubs Promo
            Meat-Up in Memphis