Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less

what temperature for turkey breast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meathead
    replied
    Agree: Cook at 325 for crispy skin, less for skinless. Cook to 160 for safety. I will be doing a breast this year Turketta style: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/chick...ey_breast.html

Leave a comment:

• HC in SC
    commented on 's reply
    I have found to plan for about 3-3.5 hours just to be safe; granted I cook mine on a PBC which runs hot occasionally. I'd guess avg temp is about 250 with highs of 300 and lows of 225. I actually had one done in about 2.5 hours (using Cowboy lump coal, which for some reason seems to burn hotter that others I have used) with an avg cooker temp of about 275.

I would concur with all that said to pull the bird at 160. I waited until 165 on one cook and the bird was good, but a little less moist. Remember - the meat will continue to cook (albeit slowly) after it is pulled from the cooker for a bit.

• CeramicChef
    replied
    Andy, that's a hard question to answer. I'd just stick a probe in it if you have a thermometer that allows for that. If not, I begging checking after 75-90 minutes just to make certain. I just pulled 2 22 lb. turkeys after 3 hours. I think 2 hours might be a bit much.

Leave a comment:

• AndyB
    replied
    thank you one and all, this is very helpful. How long would you say an average breast would take to get to 160' with a 350' smoker, 2 hours?

Leave a comment:

• CeramicChef
    replied
    +1^ on the 350°! That temp yields a great color on the cook. I also make sure my turkey cooks are COMPLETELY dry, then coated with grapeseed oil, and only then do I put them on to cook.

Also, the 160°-165° is spot on for a juicy breast that isn't overcooked!

I'm not much for dry rubs on turkey as I don't think they penetrate the skin very much. However, I do make a compound butter, lift the skin from the entire breast, and I'll rub that compound butter liberaly under the skin directly onto the breast meat.

Some folks also inject the breast and legs/thighs with a melted compound butter. If you inject, make certain you us finely powdered herbs/spice so as not to clog your injector needle.

Here's to a great cook and even better memories with family and friends!

Leave a comment:

• richinlbrg
    replied
    I think that is too low to get the good crispy skin. I think I'd run in the 325-350 range. No lower.

Leave a comment:

• AndyB
    replied
    what temperature do I set my smoker? I was thinking 275, is that too low?

Leave a comment:

• richinlbrg
    replied
    My temp chart from AR says 160.

Leave a comment:

• Danjohnston949
    replied
    AndyB, Consult the Temp Guide and Info in the Recipe Section of this Site! Memory Serve you want Turkey Breast to reach 165* F. I have tried wet brining fresh uninjected turkey, dry rubs, salt and pepper, and ...., and To Be Honest I Am Still Looking For A GoTo Recipe? 👍🦃🍀🦃👍.
    Eat Well and Prosper, Dan

Leave a comment:

• AndyB
    started a topic what temperature for turkey breast?

what temperature for turkey breast?

I have a Camp Chef smoker and would like to try a turkey breast. I have never smoked one before, what cooking temperature would you recommend? Should I use a dry rub? I would love to hear any other tips and tricks from you experts out there.......
    Many thanks

Andy

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Meat-Up in Memphis