Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less

Turkey On The Slow 'N Sear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RAmorris
    Charter Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Winter Haven, Florida
    • Equipment:
      Thermoworks Chef Alarm Food and Smoker Thermometer
      2 Landmann 2 Drawer Vertical Water Smokers
      Backwoods G 2 Party Insulated Vertical Water Smoker
      Brinkmann Trailmaster Limited Edition Offser Smoker
      Weber Spirit E-310 t Three Burner Gas Grill
      Char-broil Classic 4 Burner Gas Grill

Turkey On The Slow 'N Sear

I'm using my Slow 'N Sear with my 22 inch Weber Kettle grill for the first time today to smoke a turkey. Its a practice cook in preparation for Thanksgiving. I will be monitoring the cooker temperature and the internal turkey temperature with 2 Chef Alarms, one for each task. Where is the best place to run the cable out of the cooker? If I go through the vent in the lid, It will be difficult to remove the lid without disturbing the probes. But if I go through the bottom vent, I can't close it to only a crack for temperature control.
  • richinlbrg
    Founding Member
    • Jul 2014
    • Leesburg, VA. (Northern, VA)
    • We have two weber kettle grills (one LARGE and one small/average), the SnS and the Weber Smokey Mountain 18" smoker. We use both natural lump charcoal and KNB for smoking and measure our temps with a Maverick 733, thermopen and MK4. Favorite beer depends on what is cooking (alt answer is yes).

I usually run mine through the bottom vent.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
      Charter Member
      • Nov 2014
      • Winchester TN
      • Hardware
        Blackstone 36” Griddle.
        Slow 'N Sear Deluxe Kamado & Kettle Grill.
        Slow 'N Sear (1.0, Deluxe, 2.0).
        DnG Pans/Racks, Easy Spin Grates, Elevated Cooking Grates.
        Weber Chimney Starters (regular and compact).
        Joule, Instant Accu Slim.
        GrillGrates.
        Maverick XR-50 [my favorite].
        ThermoWorks Smoke & Gateway, Thermapen, Thermapop, ChefAlarms, DOT, probes

Consumables / Favorites
        KBB (short cooks), Weber (long cooks), B&B Hardwood Briquettes when I'm out of Weber.
        Ribs (beef & pork), Pork Butts, Chuck Roasts, Pork Tenderloins, Shrimp, Fajitas.
        SnS Grills salt free rubs: Not Just for Beef & Rocky’s Rub.
        MeatChurch Holy Cow. MMD, BBBR, S&G, Herbs de Provence, SPG.

I drilled a hole - about 1/2" just above the grate and am glad I did. I've not had any temp control issues and if I did, I could stuff a little aluminum foil in it. The hole is on the side opposite of the Slow 'N Sear.

Comment

• Rfuilrez
        Rfuilrez commented
        Editing a comment
        Same. I also bought some high temp silicone grommets to put around the hole to make it nicer. I have extras if anyone wants one. They come in packs of 10 from McMaster Carr for like $3
    • Danjohnston949
      In Memoriam
      • Dec 2014
      • 1410 9th. St. N, Fargo ND

RAmorris, RA, so far I have run the Probes for my Maverick between the Kettle and the Lid on the side opposite the S 'n S. I don't notice any great amount of heat or smoke loss! 👍🦃🍀🦃👍. Eat Well and Prosper, Dan

Comment

• Willy
        Charter Member
        • Apr 2015
        • High Desert of the Great Southwest

I drilled two small holes (3/16") just above grate level in the bottom kettle and I position them opposite the SnS. Works fine. Prior to that I ran them out the joint between the two kettles and that was OK too, but I didn't like crimping the cables.

Comment

• RAmorris
          Charter Member
          • Dec 2014
          • Winter Haven, Florida
          • Equipment:
            Thermoworks Chef Alarm Food and Smoker Thermometer
            2 Landmann 2 Drawer Vertical Water Smokers
            Backwoods G 2 Party Insulated Vertical Water Smoker
            Brinkmann Trailmaster Limited Edition Offser Smoker
            Weber Spirit E-310 t Three Burner Gas Grill
            Char-broil Classic 4 Burner Gas Grill

Here is what I did this morning to smoke the turkey. Last night we spatchcoked the 11 pound turkey and dry brined it. This morning, I smoked it on my Weber 22” with the Smoke ‘N Sear. I used two Chef Alarms, one with an air probe for the cooker temperature and one with a food probe for the turkey. I put aluminum foil on the indirect heat side so as to block airflow on this side and direct it to the charcoal in the SNS. Then I put a drip pan on top of the aluminum foil to go under the turkey. I opened the lid damper and the bottom damper all the way. I put 42 unlit charcoal briquettes in the charcoal part of the SNS and lit the other 42 in a charcoal chimney. I poured a quart of boiling water into the water reservoir on the SNS, and poured the lit charcoal on top of the unlit in the SNS. Then I added 2 large chunks of cherry wood on top of the lit coals. Next I put the food grate in the cooker and put the turkey on the food grate. Then I attached the air probe to the grate with the grate clip, and inserted the food probe in the turkey breast. I fed the probe cables through the damper holes in the lid, and put the two Chef Alarms on a cart next to the Weber. When the cooker temperature reached 285, I adjusted the bottom damper to half open and left the top damper open all the way. It settled at a cooker temperature of 322 degrees and held that for the entire cooking time. It received smoke for about 45 minutes of that time. At 90 minutes on the Weber, the food probe read 166 degrees, and I took the turkey up. It was the best smoked turkey that I and my wife, Kate, have ever had: juicy, moist, tender, with a great smoky flavor. Here are some pictures.

Comment

• CeramicChef
            CeramicChef commented
            Editing a comment
            I need another drool bib!

Beautiful cook. Kudos!

• fuzzydaddy
            fuzzydaddy commented
            Editing a comment
            Beautiful Turkey. Nice job!

• HC in SC
            HC in SC commented
            Editing a comment
            Well done! Thanks for sharing!
        • David Parrish
          Founding Member - Pit Boss Emeritus
          • May 2014
          • Charlotte, NC

That's beautiful! Can we have that picture of the bird? Please post it at abcbarbecue.com in our comments at bottom of page.

Comment

• Willy
            Charter Member
            • Apr 2015
            • High Desert of the Great Southwest

My next turkey may just need to be spatchcocked on dome on the Weber/SnS combo as opposed to my normal rotisserie cook, which also turns out a spectacular bird.

​Nice job, RAmorris !!! I be over real soon.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
            See more
            See less
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}