Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less

Car accident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ribeyeguy
    Charter Member
    • Jun 2015
    • S. E. Wisconsin
    • Weber Platinum Performer, 18"WSM, Smokenator, Slow 'n Sear.

Car accident

So today my wife drove her leased 2015 Honda Accord through an airports chain link fence, bounced off a metal pillar and more than likely totaled her car. She's fine but the car is a mess, I don't see any way that our insurance company (Erie) is not going to total it. She put a boatload of money down up front to keep her payments low but now after 10 months of ownership the car is toast.

We've never been in this situation before so what happens next? Assume the car has a value of 12k but she owes 8k on it, does she get the 4k difference? Somehow that doesn't seem right to me, smack up a car and get paid for it? Anyone have any idea?
  • David Parrish
    Founding Member - Pit Boss Emeritus
    • May 2014
    • Charlotte, NC

This is why it's a bad idea to pay any money down on a leased car. Normal insurance won't make you whole on the down payment. If you have gap insurance you'll be OK, though.

Comment

• jgg85234
      Charter Member
      • Nov 2014
      • Gilbert, AZ (Suburb of Phoenix)
      • *Cooking Equipment
        Kamado Joe Classic in Eucalyptus Table (2016)
        Kamado Joe Joetisserie (2017)
        Weber 22.5" Kettle (K Date Code - 1988) Wooden handles/wood side table
        Adrenaline BBQ Company Slow n Sear #61
        Adrenaline BBQ Company Drip n Griddle
        Weber Smokey Mountain 14.5" (2014)
        *Controllers
        Flame Boss 200
        *Thermometers
        Thermapen MK4 (Red)
        Thermopop (Red)
        Thermoworks TW8060 with grill and meat probes
        *Favorite Whisky - Knockando Speyside Single Malt
        *Favorite Red Wine - Clos du Bois Marlstone
        *Favorite White Wine - Sonoma Cutrer Chardonnay
        *Favorite Beer - Budweiser Budvar (Czechvar in the US) frisch vom fass
        *Favorites to grill - New York Strips or Top Sirloins, pizzas are fun too
        *Favorites to smoke - Baby Back or St. Louis Ribs, Pork Butts, Standing Rib Roast, Strip Loin Roast, Tri-Tip, Chicken, Turkey, Pork Loin, Cornish Hens

The leasing company was still expecting to get a vehicle back at the end of the lease. One that could either be sold or leased again. Depending on the number of years in the lease, they will be planning to recoup that value in addition to the remaining payments. So, she's not getting paid for it, you will have an additional bill once all the facts are out.

Best regards,
      Jim

Comment

• _John_
        Former Member
        • Jul 2014

I'll check around, but I think you will come out ok depending on your insurance and the car. Basically they depreciate the car as you are using it, not all the way to zero as they expect the car back. When a lease is over you typically have an option to buy it for whatever that depreciated value is. Same sort of scenario here, call the leasing company and tell them what happened and ask what the current payoff is for the car, just like if it was a normal purchase whatever insurance doesn't pay, you are responsible for.
        Check your contract for GAP coverage (some leasing companies are smart enough to add this in automatically) as it will cover anything the insurance company doesn't. Until the leaseholder receives payment from your insurance you are still bound by the lease, which means you must continue to make payments, that part is important.
        The insurance company should pay them directly, any extra would be paid to you by the leasing company. I just asked my mom who deals with this some, she says check for GAP, which is often called a waiver of responsibility in case of loss, she says she doesn't know of any leasing companies who don't automatically include it.

Let us know, and just in case, ALWAYS buy GAP coverage if you are buying or leasing a new car.

Comment

• Karon Adams
          Karon Adams commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm going to disagree on calling the leasing company, at this point. I'd talk to my insurer first. THEN, if THEY want you to call the Leasing company, they'll tell you. the first thing the leasing company is going to ask is, were you at fault? if you say yes, game over. never, ever say yes. even if you were, you know it and intentionally did it. it can cause losses in your insurance (as in they won't cover your accident or not for as much as they would have.) lawyer up. or rather, Insurance guy up and follow their lead. that why we have insurance.

My youngest was involved in a less than 5MPH fender bender Halloween a few years back. we KNOW it was less than 5 MPH cause her airbags didn't deploy. also, our next door neighbor who is a Swat officer with the Sherriff's office, was right above her on the entrance ramp in his patrol car. thank goodness. I cooked them a NICE meal shortly thereafter. the most important thing HE did, really and truly, was calm her down because she knew him.

for all of that, (and Daniel was terrific, not allowing her to mingle with the folks in the other car), they woman cried "NECK!! NECK!! AMBULANCE!! AMBULANCE!!" it took 3 1/2 years to put that away. turns out, old lady was a swoop and squat artist. it was Brietta's fault, but it was also stop and go traffic, bumper to bumper. 3 MPH.

Brietta was so guilt ridden (cause a slow speed accident actually caused me some lifelong damage when she was 8) she would have confessed to killing Hoffa (if she knew who he was). it took some time and the lawyer backing me up, but in the end, she learned, this is why we HAVE insurance, take their lead.

I'm glad the family is OK. that is always the most important thing.
      • Huskee
        Administrator
        • May 2014
        • central MI, USA
        • Follow me on Instagram, huskeesbarbecue

Smokers / Grills
          • Yoder loaded Wichita offset smoker
          • PBC
          • Grilla Silverbac pellet grill
          • Slow 'N Sear Deluxe Kamado (SnSK)
          • Masterbuilt Gravity 560
          • Weber 22" Original Kettle Premium (copper)
          • Weber 26" Original Kettle Premium (black)
          • Weber 26" Original Kettle Premium (light blue)
          • Weber Jumbo Joe Gold (18.5")
          • Weber Smokey Joe Silver (14.5")
          • Brinkmann cabinet charcoal smoker (repurposed)

Thermometers
          • (3) Maverick XR-50: 4-probe Wireless Thermometers
          • (7) Maverick ET-732s
          • (1) Maverick ET-735 Bluetooth (in box)
          • (1) Smoke X4 by ThermoWorks
          • Thermapen MkII, orange
          • ThermoPop, yellow
          • ThermoWorks ChefAlarm
          • Morpilot 6-probe wireless
          • ThermoWorks Infrared IRK2
          • ThermoWorks fridge & freezer therms as well

Accessories
          • Instant Pot 6qt
          • Anova Bluetooth SV
          • Kitchen Aide mixer & meat grinder attachment
          • Kindling Cracker King (XL)
          • BBQ Dragon
          • Weber full & half chimneys, Char-Broil Half Time chimney
          • Weber grill topper
          • Slow 'N Sear Original, XL, and SnS Charcoal Basket (for Jumbo Joe)
          • Drip 'N Griddle Pan, 22' Easy Spin Grate, and Elevated Cooking grate, by ABCbarbecue
          • Pittsburgh Digital Moisture Meter

Beverages
          • Favorite summer beer: Leinenkugels Summer & Grapefruit Shandy, Hamm's, Michelob Ultra Pure Gold
          • Fav other beer: DAB, Sam Adams regular, Third Shift amber or Coors Batch 19, Stella Artois
          • Fav cheap beers: Pabst, High Life, Hamm's & Stroh's
          • Most favorite beer: The one in your fridge
          • Wine: Red- big, bold, tannic & peppery- Petite Sirah, Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauv, Sangiovese, Syrah, etc
          • Whiskey: Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, E.H. Taylor, Blanton's, Old Forester 1870, Elijah Craig, Basil Hayden's. Neat please.
          • Scotch: Current favorite- The Arran (anything by them), Glenmorangie 12yr Lasanta, sherry cask finished. The Balvenie Double Wood, also like Oban 18yr, and The Glenlivet Nadurra (Oloroso sherry cask finished) among others. Neat please.

About me
          Location: Farwell, Michigan- near Clare. (dead center of lower peninsula)

• Healthcare- Licensed & Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) for MidMichigan Health, a University of Michigan Health System.

Glad your wife is ok! My condolences on your frustrations with this scenario.

I've never leased but I've totaled a few vehicles. "Loan/lease payoff", if you have it, should leave you in the clear, owing nothing if your vehicle is worth less than what you owe at the time of the accident. Regardless though, you should get whatever the insurance company says the vehicle was worth at the time. If it happens to be more than what you owe you're good, if not you'll likely owe the difference if you don't have loan/lease payoff. It should be noted however, that each state has its own rules and this is what happens in MI. Your state may have its unique rules that could differ from advice you'll get here.

Comment

• ribeyeguy
          Charter Member
          • Jun 2015
          • S. E. Wisconsin
          • Weber Platinum Performer, 18"WSM, Smokenator, Slow 'n Sear.

Well, we'll find out come Monday. Until then she's fine and life goes on I guess. Any reason I shouldn't cook the ribs I had planned for the weekend? Might seem a bit insensitive but geez, here in Wisconsin we're heading into winter and I'm strictly a warm weather griller. Should a totaled car change the weekends plans?

Comment

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            Absolutely not... Cook on my friend.😎

• Karon Adams
            Karon Adams commented
            Editing a comment
            shoot, if anything, this is a reason TO cook. when you have a scare or even a worry, nothing makes it better than good food and good friends. through that pig on the smoke and wrap her in love.

• Danjohnston949
            Danjohnston949 commented
            Editing a comment
            ribeyeguy, Glad your Wife is Ok! Carry On, Carry On MY GOODMAN ERIC These Days Will Pass! I can't give you any good insurance advice I am a contrarian as soon as something sounds reasonable I come up with a dozen reasons why it's not! I hope it all works out for the Best! 💐🍀🍁🌻🌺 Dan
        • jgg85234
          Charter Member
          • Nov 2014
          • *Cooking Equipment
            *Controllers
            Flame Boss 200
            *Thermometers
            Thermapen MK4 (Red)
            Thermopop (Red)
            *Favorites to smoke - Baby Back or St. Louis Ribs, Pork Butts, Standing Rib Roast, Strip Loin Roast, Tri-Tip, Chicken, Turkey, Pork Loin, Cornish Hens

Of course you should make the ribs
          The important part is that your wife is OK.
          The car is a thing and things can always be replaced.
          Enjoy the dinner.
          Best regards,
          Jim

Comment

• Jon Solberg
            Former Member
            • Jul 2014

Oh MY!

Comment

• Huskee
              Administrator
              • May 2014
              • central MI, USA
              • Follow me on Instagram, huskeesbarbecue

Smokers / Grills
                • Yoder loaded Wichita offset smoker
                • PBC
                • Grilla Silverbac pellet grill
                • Slow 'N Sear Deluxe Kamado (SnSK)
                • Masterbuilt Gravity 560
                • Weber 22" Original Kettle Premium (copper)
                • Weber 26" Original Kettle Premium (black)
                • Weber 26" Original Kettle Premium (light blue)
                • Weber Jumbo Joe Gold (18.5")
                • Weber Smokey Joe Silver (14.5")
                • Brinkmann cabinet charcoal smoker (repurposed)

Thermometers
                • (3) Maverick XR-50: 4-probe Wireless Thermometers
                • (7) Maverick ET-732s
                • (1) Maverick ET-735 Bluetooth (in box)
                • (1) Smoke X4 by ThermoWorks
                • Thermapen MkII, orange
                • ThermoPop, yellow
                • ThermoWorks ChefAlarm
                • Morpilot 6-probe wireless
                • ThermoWorks Infrared IRK2
                • ThermoWorks fridge & freezer therms as well

Accessories
                • Instant Pot 6qt
                • Anova Bluetooth SV
                • Kitchen Aide mixer & meat grinder attachment
                • Kindling Cracker King (XL)
                • BBQ Dragon
                • Weber full & half chimneys, Char-Broil Half Time chimney
                • Weber grill topper
                • Slow 'N Sear Original, XL, and SnS Charcoal Basket (for Jumbo Joe)
                • Drip 'N Griddle Pan, 22' Easy Spin Grate, and Elevated Cooking grate, by ABCbarbecue
                • Pittsburgh Digital Moisture Meter

Beverages
                • Favorite summer beer: Leinenkugels Summer & Grapefruit Shandy, Hamm's, Michelob Ultra Pure Gold
                • Fav other beer: DAB, Sam Adams regular, Third Shift amber or Coors Batch 19, Stella Artois
                • Fav cheap beers: Pabst, High Life, Hamm's & Stroh's
                • Most favorite beer: The one in your fridge
                • Wine: Red- big, bold, tannic & peppery- Petite Sirah, Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauv, Sangiovese, Syrah, etc
                • Whiskey: Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, E.H. Taylor, Blanton's, Old Forester 1870, Elijah Craig, Basil Hayden's. Neat please.
                • Scotch: Current favorite- The Arran (anything by them), Glenmorangie 12yr Lasanta, sherry cask finished. The Balvenie Double Wood, also like Oban 18yr, and The Glenlivet Nadurra (Oloroso sherry cask finished) among others. Neat please.

About me
                Location: Farwell, Michigan- near Clare. (dead center of lower peninsula)

• Healthcare- Licensed & Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) for MidMichigan Health, a University of Michigan Health System.

Agree with jgg85234 you still gotta eat! Eat good!

Comment

• Karon Adams
                Karon Adams commented
                Editing a comment
                life's too short and my waist is too sensitive to waste calories on crummy food.

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Karon Adams my waist isn't affected by food at all, nope, what happens is when I smoke meat my pants shrink from the smoke. I'm pretty sure that's what it is. Been happening for years now.

• Karon Adams
                Karon Adams commented
                Editing a comment
                You may very well be onto something there. you know, a high protein diet IS good for you. and, when you put BBQ on the bread, it becomes protein, too, doesn't it? yeah! I think you are RIGHT! so, maybe I won't wear pants to the smoker, anymore.

or maybe I don't want to be responsible for the sudden rash of blindness.....
            • David Parrish
              Founding Member - Pit Boss Emeritus
              • May 2014
              • Charlotte, NC

Originally posted by ribeyeguy View Post
              Well, we'll find out come Monday. Until then she's fine and life goes on I guess. Any reason I shouldn't cook the ribs I had planned for the weekend? Might seem a bit insensitive but geez, here in Wisconsin we're heading into winter and I'm strictly a warm weather griller. Should a totaled car change the weekends plans?

Of course you cook the ribs! Cars can be replaced. Great meals can not.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                Former Member
                • Jul 2014

OH MY!

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                  Jon Solberg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Did I say OH MY?
              • jgg85234
                Charter Member
                • Nov 2014
                • *Cooking Equipment
                  *Controllers
                  Flame Boss 200
                  *Thermometers
                  Thermapen MK4 (Red)
                  Thermopop (Red)

Twice, unless there's an echo in here👨‍👩‍👧‍👦

Comment

• Breadhead
                  Banned Former Member
                  • Jul 2014

I'm almost 64 years old.

I've always bought used cars with less than 40,000 miles on them.

I've never borrowed money to buy a car.

I've also never totaled a car, I banged a few up though.

I never caught the car bug. Cars to me are just transportation.

I now have a Lexus that had 35,000 miles on it when I bought it.

I'll run it until it quits and then I'll buy another used car...😎

My Dad told me interest was something you wanted to receive... Not to pay.👍
                  Last edited by Breadhead; October 17, 2015, 02:13 AM.

Comment

• DWCowles
                    Founding Member
                    • Jul 2014
                    • Smiths Grove, Ky
                    • Hi, my name is Darrell. I'm an OTR truck driver for over 25 years. During my off time I love doing backyard cooks. I have a 48" Lang Deluxe smoker, Rec-Tec pellet smoker,1 Weber Genesis 330, 1 Weber Performer (blue), 2 Weber kettles (1 black and 1 Copper), 1 26" Weber kettle, a WSM, 8 Maverick Redi Chek thermometers, a PartyQ, 2 SnS, Grill Grates, Cast Iron grates, 1 ThermoPop (orange) and 2 ThermoPens (pink and orange) and planning on adding more cooking accessories. Now I have an Anova sous vide, the Dragon blower and 2 Chef alarms from Thermoworks.

Give that man a metal

Comment

• Karon Adams
                      Karon Adams commented
                      Editing a comment
                      gold, silver or bronze? sorry, just couldn't help myself.......

• DWCowles
                      DWCowles commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I couldn't either

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
                  See more
                  See less
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}