Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less

Alternate beef cut article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richinlbrg
    Founding Member
    • Jul 2014
    • Leesburg, VA. (Northern, VA)
    • We have two weber kettle grills (one LARGE and one small/average), the SnS and the Weber Smokey Mountain 18" smoker. We use both natural lump charcoal and KNB for smoking and measure our temps with a Maverick 733, thermopen and MK4. Favorite beer depends on what is cooking (alt answer is yes).

Alternate beef cut article

I happened across this article this morning and thought I'd share. Perhaps it'll be of interest or save some $$

http://www.tastingtable.com/cook/nat...9&kwp_1=203105
  • _John_
    Former Member
    • Jul 2014

Good article, but unfortunately doesn't apply much here. Tri-tip is the most expensive cut I can buy, tenderloin is $2 a pound cheaper, in line with skirt steak somehow, and $4 more that porterhouse. Prime ribeye costs a little less that choice tri-tip.

Comment

• Willy
      Charter Member
      • Apr 2015
      • High Desert of the Great Southwest

A bit more info on beef cuts: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/29/di...beef.html?_r=0

Comment

• richinlbrg
        richinlbrg commented
        Editing a comment
        GREAT article, Willy !!

Thank you for posting it!

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        Love flatirons! I like to call them a poor man's fillet, but this summer we saw the price creep up to $7.99/lbs and that is if you can ever find on sale. They have become so popular I can only remember the store having a sale on them once this summer. We have been fortunate to have whole ribeye loins on sale for $6.99/lb cut and wrapped, so we have opted for those along with the 8-10 oz. fillets for $6.19 each. I am hoping they will have a sale on the flatirons this winter since their popularity should wane in the colder months.
    • Craigar
      Founding Member
      • Jul 2014
      • Papillion, NE
      • * - Weber 26.75" OTG
        * - Weber 22.5" Premium cloaked in Crimson
        * - Slow 'N Sear
        * - Smoke E-Z - 26.75" (The Grain Silo)
        * - Lodge Sportsman Grill
        * - Weber Rapid Fire Chimney Starter
        * - Thermoworks ThermoPop
        * - Thermoworks Dot
        * - iGrill2 - 4 probes
        * - Favorite Beer - the cold one in my hand (craft beers of all flavors; haven't had a blue yummy in over 6 years) my tastes change with the season so it is difficult to name just a couple. However, I will occasionally have a vanilla porter float in the summer (Empyrean Vanilla Porter w/a scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream) as I usually drink stouts & porters in the colder months, pale ales & IPAs in the warmer months. I have to add Not Your Father's Root Beer to beers I use for floats.
        * - Booze - I don't really have a favorite, but lean towards single malt Scotch & Irish whiskey
        * - Wines - Reds: mainly the heavy stuff mixed in with the occasional pinot noir ( I have yet to meet a malbec I didn't like); Whites: German & Nebraska (hey, I have to support the home team)
        * - Favorite Spice outlets - Frisco Spices in LaVista, NE (the local butcher supply shop); Volcanic Peppers in Bellevue, NE
        * - Current butchers: Just Good Meats & Fareway Foods

Sorry, but I quit reading at "grass fed, organic"...with that being said, my favorite butcher shop has been running a "special" since February on 8-10 oz bacon wrapped fillets for $6.19 each. I am not fond of wrapping bacon around a premium cut of beef, so we remove the bacon and use it to flavor green beans or wrap it around asparagus spears. We have had so many of those little suckers this year my wife has been requesting a brisket for this Sunday.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
      See more
      See less
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}