Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less

Got some paid work coming, need to confirm a smoker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PaulstheRibList
    commented on 's reply
    I want an FEC240!

• PaulstheRibList
    commented on 's reply
    Lol, yes, #WhoDat1 is a bit of a beast!

The learning curve I'm going through is bark formation with the lower airflow in a cabinet. I'm guessing that the great factory built ones may be tuned up a little better on the airflow issue. I'm turning mine up now!

• Powersmoke_80
    commented on 's reply
    John, charcoal and pellets put out about the same BTU / Lb so I would assume charcoal consumption would be higher as well in the winter if you are comparing apples to apples. A good insulated pellet cooker I don't think would consume that much.

• Letmebefrank
    commented on 's reply
    You definitely should taste it, because it may well be below your standards. My crew does love it but then again my son puts ketchup on everything and my daughter thinks black pepper it too spicy.

Living where you live, I would be surprised if there weren't some restaurants in the area using one. With the right rub, and right sauce, you may well find that the pork is...picking my words carefully...sufficiently yummy.

• bep35
    commented on 's reply
    Hard to explain. Meathead provides an excellent analysis as to how electric is different from gas, charcoal, and wood.

http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_gu...c_smokers.html

• _John_
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the info Candy, I hear a lot of good about that particular model. I wouldn't say i'm married to charcoal, really couldn't say without trying good electric.

• CandySueQ
    replied
    I have a 2004 FEC100 that has done 16 butts at one cook. Also did a run of 26 smoked turkeys one year, it'll do 12 at a time. 12 pounders, rotate shelves at mid cook. Keep an eye out for older ones, the new ones cost plenty. I've sold 4 in and around Arkansas. It is truly a pro cooker. In the worst weather it used 20 pounds for a full cook. If you are a charcoal guy, you won't be pleased with an electric. IMO, whatever cooker you choose, go insulated. Good luck and happy cooker hunting!

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    commented on 's reply
    Powersmoke_80 the pellets aren't, but my research says up to 3 pounds an hour in the winter.

• Powersmoke_80
    commented on 's reply
    I don't think pellets are any more expensive in the winter as these are food grade and not heating pellets.

• KevinJ
    replied
    Originally posted by John View Post
    KevinJ I am in KC a lot and I can get a Humphrey there, never heard of them.

Yeah I think that Battle Box might have taken the lead!
    The Battle Box was their 1st model and is built with a tubular frame, a little more Smoker than what I need. You can google reviews on Humphrey's and the Battle Box, they do quality work and have a great reputation.

Don't know about the KC dealer but if you ever travel over to St Louis, the St Louis BBQ Store keeps a pretty good inventory of Humphrey's.
    Last edited by KevinJ; August 20, 2015, 04:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    replied
    KevinJ I am in KC a lot and I can get a Humphrey there, never heard of them.

Yeah I think that Battle Box might have taken the lead!
    Last edited by _John_; August 20, 2015, 03:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• KevinJ
    replied
    Originally posted by John View Post
    KevinJ Yeah, and now that I look at the Stumpster I think I like it best of all so far.
    That's the size of the Cabinet Smokers I've been looking at and I know Stumps makes great Smokers, I'd check to see if it comes with casters, an option or something you can add yourself.

I like the 2 cabinet door design instead of 1, I'm sure you've probably already looked at the Backwoods (G2 Chubby) and if you haven't already checkout Humphrey's Smokers (Weeble) and 270 Smokers (Sumo) you may have a dealer somewhere within driving distance. On the 270 Sumo I was quoted a great freight rate from a Maryland dealer down to FL under $200. I like the Humphrey's and 270, shipped they would both be just over $1700.
    Last edited by KevinJ; August 20, 2015, 03:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    commented on 's reply
    How many butts can it hold, was it 6? I already have charcoal running out of my ears, a pallet or two of pellets takes up a lot of space. That and pellets are way more expensive, especially in winter.

• DWCowles
    replied
    John if you want a "set it and forget it" smoker a RecTec will be hard to beat. Plus it has a 6 year warranty.

Leave a comment:

• _John_
    replied
    KevinJ Yeah, and now that I look at the Stumpster I think I like it best of all so far.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}