Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
See more
See less

Cutting chunks of hardwood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bbqoaf
    Former Member
    • Jul 2014
    • Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Cutting chunks of hardwood?

How do you usually cut chunks of hardwood for smoking (I use a One Touch, so I only need small chunks at a time)? Cutting hard logs like the cherry and apple I have with a hand saw is a serious pain. Will these wreck power tools?

• Juddlight
    Former Member
    • Jul 2015
    • Mid michigan

I use my ryobi miter saw after I split the wood to size I want...it didn't seem to dmg anything and still cut trim straight

Comment

• Henrik
      Founding Member - Moderator Emeritus
      • Jul 2014
      • Stockholm, Sweden

Even though it is hardwood, you're good to go with your powertools. Don't worry. Last time I used a chainsaw to cut "coins" or discs of alderwood, roughly 4-5 inches in diameter (as opposed to logs). Turned out great, I break them like you break a biscuit (so I get 3-4 "pies"). Works great as chunks.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
        Charter Member
        • Sep 2014
        • Central Iowa

If you have access to one, a table saw works great for logs" up to 6" or so.

Comment

• Munch
          Former Member
          • Jun 2015

Since the OP said "chunks" why couldn't a chisel be used to spilt the chunks into more useful sizes?

Comment

• gcdmd
            Charter Member
            • Sep 2014
            • The Republic of Texas

I've used a Skil Saw and a reciprocating saw on oak, mesquite, and pecan. I didn't try to cut anything over 6 to 8 inches in diameter. On Aaron Franklin's PBS show there is a clip of him using a chop saw. I have one, but I won't use it for fear of messing it up. It cuts miters well, and I don't want to wreck it.

Comment

• aarontbell
              Charter Member
              • Feb 2015
              • Akron Ohio
              • Weber genesis
                Napoleon Apollo 20''
                Maverick ET-732
                BBQ GURU digi q
                Thermopen mk4
                Thirsty Dog beer

Cut discs with chainsaw from tree. then use hatchet or ax. It's not surgery. chop saw? Wrong tool for job.

Comment

• Stevehtn
                Former Member
                • Sep 2014
                • East TN

If you're talking about actually chopping up hardwood chunks into smaller pieces, then nothing like a stump and an axe. You can also use a wedge and sledge if you want more precision. That said, why not simply buy chips?

Comment

• bbqoaf
                  bbqoaf commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I find they just burn up when you put them on burning charcoal, chunks produce better, longer lasting, nice blue smoke in my experience.
              • bbqoaf
                Former Member
                • Jul 2014
                • Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Thanks friends, I know someone who blew a mitre saw on cherry wood that was about 3" thick. The caveat there is that the saw was the $80 home depot mega sale special and had been struggling through basic pine 2x4's, so I don't want to compare that to what nice, high quality tools could do.

Splitting with an axe or hatchet is ok, but I want nice rectangular or square pieces with some thickness to them so that they do not quickly burn up when put onto a hot bed of coals.

I might just stick to grinding through them with a hand saw. I don't have a chain saw, I do not want to risk the very few nice tools I do have, and I guess if I am going to be going to such effort to make an unnecessarily large, fatty, salty, roasted clod of meat (while hammering back beers) I could use the exercise!

Comment

• Stevehtn
                  Stevehtn commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If you need precision splits, use a wedge and a handheld sledge. You can about split it as well as you could cut it. Be a lot faster than using a hand saw
              • Huskee
                Administrator
                • May 2014
                • central MI, USA
                • Follow me on Instagram, huskeesbarbecue

Smokers / Grills
                  • Yoder loaded Wichita offset smoker
                  • PBC
                  • Grilla Silverbac pellet grill
                  • Slow 'N Sear Deluxe Kamado (SnSK)
                  • Masterbuilt Gravity 560
                  • Weber 22" Original Kettle Premium (copper)
                  • Weber 26" Original Kettle Premium (black)
                  • Weber 26" Original Kettle Premium (light blue)
                  • Weber Jumbo Joe Gold (18.5")
                  • Weber Smokey Joe Silver (14.5")
                  • Brinkmann cabinet charcoal smoker (repurposed)

Thermometers
                  • (3) Maverick XR-50: 4-probe Wireless Thermometers
                  • (7) Maverick ET-732s
                  • (1) Maverick ET-735 Bluetooth (in box)
                  • (1) Smoke X4 by ThermoWorks
                  • Thermapen MkII, orange
                  • ThermoPop, yellow
                  • ThermoWorks ChefAlarm
                  • Morpilot 6-probe wireless
                  • ThermoWorks Infrared IRK2
                  • ThermoWorks fridge & freezer therms as well

Accessories
                  • Instant Pot 6qt
                  • Anova Bluetooth SV
                  • Kitchen Aide mixer & meat grinder attachment
                  • Kindling Cracker King (XL)
                  • BBQ Dragon
                  • Weber full & half chimneys, Char-Broil Half Time chimney
                  • Weber grill topper
                  • Slow 'N Sear Original, XL, and SnS Charcoal Basket (for Jumbo Joe)
                  • Drip 'N Griddle Pan, 22' Easy Spin Grate, and Elevated Cooking grate, by ABCbarbecue
                  • Pittsburgh Digital Moisture Meter

Beverages
                  • Favorite summer beer: Leinenkugels Summer & Grapefruit Shandy, Hamm's, Michelob Ultra Pure Gold
                  • Fav other beer: DAB, Sam Adams regular, Third Shift amber or Coors Batch 19, Stella Artois
                  • Fav cheap beers: Pabst, High Life, Hamm's & Stroh's
                  • Most favorite beer: The one in your fridge
                  • Wine: Red- big, bold, tannic & peppery- Petite Sirah, Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauv, Sangiovese, Syrah, etc
                  • Whiskey: Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, E.H. Taylor, Blanton's, Old Forester 1870, Elijah Craig, Basil Hayden's. Neat please.
                  • Scotch: Current favorite- The Arran (anything by them), Glenmorangie 12yr Lasanta, sherry cask finished. The Balvenie Double Wood, also like Oban 18yr, and The Glenlivet Nadurra (Oloroso sherry cask finished) among others. Neat please.

About me
                  Location: Farwell, Michigan- near Clare. (dead center of lower peninsula)

• Healthcare- Licensed & Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) for MidMichigan Health, a University of Michigan Health System.

I have zero reservations about using a miter saw. Use one blade for buzzing your firewood, and keep another for other job-related duties if you use your saw for work or home projects.

In 5 minutes you can zing up a year's worth of chunks for on your grill, it goes fast, VERY little wear on your saw if you think about it.

I use a hammer, the claw end, to bust those discs into halves or so for use on the kettle. A hatchet would surely work too, but if you don't have one a fairly straight hammer claw works fine. Place the wood chinks/discs on a hard surface like concrete.

Been doing this for years, no saws blown up yet. FWIW.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                  Founding Member
                  • Jul 2014
                  • My toys:
                    Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center (WSCGC) aka Mr. Fancypants
                    Pit Barrel Cooker (which rocks), named Pretty Baby
                    Weber Summit S650 Gas Grill, named Hot 'n Fast (used mostly for searing and griddling)
                    Weber Kettle Premium 22" named Kettle Kid, eager to horn in with more cooks in the future
                    Camp Chef Somerset IV 4-burner outdoor gas range named AfterBurner due to its 30kBTU burners

Adrenaline BBQ Company Gear:
                    SnS, DnG, andLarge Charcoal Basket, for WSCGC
                    SnS for 22" Kettle
                    Elevated SS Rack for WSCGC
                    SS Rack for DnG
                    Cast Iron Griddle
                    Grill Grate for SnS
                    Grill Grates: five 17.375 sections (retired to storage)
                    Grill Grates: six 19.25 panels for exact fit for Summit S650 gasser
                    2 Grill Grate Griddles
                    Steelmade Griddle for Summit gas grill

Fireboard Gear:
                    Extreme BBQ Thermometer Package
                    Additional control unit
                    Additional probes: Competition Probes 1" (3) and 4" (1), 3 additional Ambient Probes. 1 additional Food Probe
                    2 Driver Cables
                    Pit Viper Fan (to pair with Fireboard Fan Driver Cable)
                    Pit Viper Fan new design (to pair with Fireboard Fan Driver Cable)
                    Thermoworks Gear:
                    Thermapen MK5 (pink)
                    Thermapen MK4 (pink too)
                    Thermoworks MK5 orange
                    Temp Test 2 Smart Thermometer
                    Extra Big and Loud Timer
                    Timestick Trio
                    Maverick ET 73 a little workhorse with limited range
                    Maverick ET 733
                    Maverick (Ivation) ET 732

Grill Pinz
                    Vortex (two of them)

Two Joule Sous Vide devices
                    VacMaster Pro 350 Vacuum Sealer

Instant Pot 6 Quart Electric Pressure Cooker
                    Instant Pot 10 Quart Electric Pressure Cooker

Charcoal Companion TurboQue
                    A-Maze-N tube 12 inch tube smoker accessory for use with pellets

BBQ Dragon and Dragon Chimney

Shun Classic Series:
                    8" Chef Knife
                    6" Chef's Knife
                    Gokujo Boning and Fillet Knife
                    3 1/2 inch Paring Knife

On my PBC I like to start with 4oz wood for flavor, then add as needed depending on the length of the cook. I bought a box of pecan, cherry, and apple from www.fruitawood.com but some of the chunks are larger than what I want to use. I'm using a hatchet to get them cut down, but I don't enjoy it. I have a vision of the hatchet blade going through my foot as I whack at the chunk of wood. I'm going to try just hitting the hatchet head with my hammer as the blade points into the wood and see if that does the job better. I'd have to sell a whole lot of shoes if I whacked my foot off.

Tell me I need a power saw of some sort and I'll be off to Lowe's tomorrow like I'm shot out of a cannon!

Kathryn
                  Last edited by fzxdoc; August 20, 2015, 04:02 PM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Tried that, DWCowles. Sometimes it works well, sometimes not. Maybe I need a bigger chisel.

• HorseDoctor
                    HorseDoctor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If you are going to hit a hatchet with a hammer, be darned sure you are wearing safety glasses! I drove a metal shard into my wrist once doing that and still shudder at what might have happened if the same piece had hit my eye.

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wow, HorseDoctor , thank you for the cautionary tale. I'll be careful.

Kathryn
                • billg71
                  Charter Member
                  • May 2015
                  • Acworth, GA
                  • Komodo Kamado 22" Supreme
                    PK Grill
                    Weber Genesis S-330
                    Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center
                    Weber Go Anywhere charcoal portable(my oldest Weber)
                    Maverick 732
                    Tappecue
                    ThermaChef
                    ThermaWorks Smoke
                    Thermapens

Originally posted by bbqoaf View Post
                  Thanks friends, I know someone who blew a mitre saw on cherry wood that was about 3" thick. The caveat there is that the saw was the $80 home depot mega sale special and had been struggling through basic pine 2x4's, so I don't want to compare that to what nice, high quality tools could do.

Splitting with an axe or hatchet is ok, but I want nice rectangular or square pieces with some thickness to them so that they do not quickly burn up when put onto a hot bed of coals.

I might just stick to grinding through them with a hand saw. I don't have a chain saw, I do not want to risk the very few nice tools I do have, and I guess if I am going to be going to such effort to make an unnecessarily large, fatty, salty, roasted clod of meat (while hammering back beers) I could use the exercise!
                  Use the throwaway blade that came with the miter saw for the chunks. Hopefully you have a good blade to use for fine work, if not you need one. If you have a bandsaw that would be even better for cutting chunks. A handsaw works just as well, it's slower but you get more exercise. If you decide to go that route, pick up a pruning saw from the local big box store.

You're not gonna hurt any halfway decent power saw or blade cutting chunks off your hardwood splits.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

2021 Meat-Up In Memphis Canceled - Rescheduled for March 2022

We've unfortunately had to cancel the 2021 Meat-Up in Memphis. We are rescheduling for March 18-20, 2022. More details and re-booking info coming soon! For now click here for more info.
                  See more
                  See less
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}