Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
See more
See less

Auto-renewal / Storing credit card info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cayenneman
    Former Member
    • Jul 2014
    • Richmond, KY

Auto-renewal / Storing credit card info

Just logged on to my back account today and saw that I'm automatically being renewed for my Pitmaster membership. How do I opt out of this? Thanks.
  • Willy
    Charter Member
    • Apr 2015
    • High Desert of the Great Southwest

I don't want ANYONE holding my bank information--too many essentially unpreventable hacks--see Target, Home Depot, the Federal Gov't, et al. Even Consumer Reports engages in this. I understand the advantage to the business, but it is a practice that I dislike.

Comment

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      I explain below that we NEVER see your card number, and EVERY transaction you make on your credit card is stored by the card processor and bank, autorenew or not. Take a cab, the card number is in the card processor and bak records permanently, and it may also be in the cab company's system, and if it is a card swipe the copy is in the hands of the driver. The process we use is soooooo much safer than handing your card to a cab driver, waiter, or cashier.

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      yeah, autorenew are just the computer sending your bank a bill that the bank pays. there isn't any capture of the credit card numbers.
  • Mosca
    Charter Member
    • Oct 2014
    • PA
    • Large Big Green Egg, Weber Performer Deluxe, Weber Smokey Joe Silver, Maverick 732, DigiQ, and too much other stuff to mention.

There was an announcement about this a few weeks ago. The software is being updated, and while that is happening TPTB don't want anyone to lose access, so the subscriptions are being automatically renewed without charge, then you can choose to renew when the updating is done.

Or something like that. The gist was that they aren't charging.

Edit: I'm not correct, I had it backward.
    Last edited by Mosca; August 10, 2015, 11:28 AM.

Comment

• mgaretz
      mgaretz commented
      Editing a comment
      Actually I think the gist was that even though you were charged your membership might still show as expired, but they weren't kicking anyone off while they fixed it, so not to worry if it showed expired.
  • DeusDingo
    Founding Member
    • Jul 2014
    • Madison, WI
    • Weber Q320 grill
      Masterbuilt Propane Smoker
      Maverick and thermo Pen thermometers

i got charged so that's not right

Comment

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      The renewals have been occurring the whole time for folks that had Credit Cards valid beyond the renewal date. For folks with expired credit cards there was a delay while we fixed our CC update process. That works now.

There is also an issue where member's expiration dates don't update when their membership renews. We are still working on this. We are very aware who has paid and we're not expiring any accounts until we get the expiration dates fixed. Should be soon.
  • Willy
    Charter Member
    • Apr 2015

DD and Mosca: Independent of whether or not your interpretations are correct, the fact remains that credit card numbers are apparently being retained. I don't suspect AR of any nefarious motives whatsoever, but I don't like leaving a card number with anyone. When I buy from ITunes, I get a gift card with a $50 amount from a local store like Best Buy, then post that to ITunes. If someone steals the gift card info, I'm out less than $50 and I don't have a real credit card compromised.

If I'm wrong about the fact that credit card numbers are retained on a server somewhere, please correct me. Meantime, I think of Home Depot and others.

Comment

• mackdaddy
      mackdaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      I like your idea of getting a throw away card or iTunes card for online purchases.
  • David Parrish
    Founding Member - Pit Boss Emeritus
    • May 2014
    • Charlotte, NC
      • Slow 'N Sear Kamado (SnSK)
      • Lots of grills that work with Slow 'N Sear
      • LOTS of digital thermometers (my fav)
      • LOTS of accessories
      • Favorite Beer - Fat Tire
      • Favorite Bourbon - Woodford Reserve
      • Favorite White Wine - Cakebread Chardonnay
      • Favorite Red Wine - Yes, Please
      • President/Owner - SnS Grills

Cayenneman there is an option to cancel your membership on this page.

Willy we don't keep your CC #/info and can't see it in our system. It's retained and your payment is processed by a highly reputable third party. For more info on their security measures click here.

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      I am not saying I don't trust AR. I am saying that somewhere there is a record of my card number (in your words, "It's retained") or else AR wouldn't be able to make a charge to it. If I am missing something, I'm willing to be corrected and educated.

I do not want to cancel my membership--I just want to know that NO ONE beyond my card company has my card number stored in a data base, no matter how "secure".

Zero hostility is intended from my post.

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Willy let's put this in perspective. Meathead is much more likely to get hit by a bus during his daily commute to his basement office than you are to get your CC information stolen using our payment system. Their are billions of credit cards being stored in trillions of locations all over the internet. Thousands of cards get hacked at one time or another. That's an insignificant number. I'm more worried about a sharknado than I am my CC info being stolen by the merchants I use online.

What you're worried about... just isn't worth worrying about

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      I have just posted an explanation of the process below. The only one who has your card number is the bank. We don't even see it. And they have your number on file whether it is an autorenewal or not.
  • Cayenneman
    Former Member
    • Jul 2014
    • Richmond, KY

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post
    Cayenneman there is an option to cancel your membership on this page.

Willy we don't keep your CC #/info and can't see it in our system. It's retained and your payment is processed by a highly reputable third party. For more info on their security measures click here.
    That is a dead link you sent me to.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      It directs me to the Stripe Security page. The important part is here:

"All card numbers are encrypted on disk with AES-256. Decryption keys are stored on separate machines. None of Stripe's internal servers and daemons are able to obtain plaintext card numbers; instead, they can just request that cards be sent to a service provider on a static whitelist. Stripe's infrastructure for storing, decrypting, and transmitting card numbers runs in separate hosting infrastructure, and doesn't share any credentials with Stripe's primary services (API, website, etc.)."

No one is going to get your card number.

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      Mosca--No offense, but isn't that what the Feds, Target, and Home Depot would tell us also? I have a security clearance and now, evidently, the Chinese also are aware of me. Not a big worry for me personally, but I think my point is made.

Who in the heck is that fellow? You know, what's his name, um, er, um, oh! I know, Edward Snowden.

No mal-intent is intended by my sarcasm, but to say "No one is going to get your card number" seems to me to be naive.

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      Willy When you use your credit card, the bank stores the transaction at a gas station, restaurant, etc. So whether you autorenew or not, your card is on file with the card processor.
  • David Parrish
    Founding Member - Pit Boss Emeritus
    • May 2014
    • Charlotte, NC
      • Slow 'N Sear Kamado (SnSK)
      • Lots of grills that work with Slow 'N Sear
      • LOTS of digital thermometers (my fav)
      • LOTS of accessories
      • Favorite Beer - Fat Tire
      • Favorite Bourbon - Woodford Reserve
      • Favorite White Wine - Cakebread Chardonnay
      • Favorite Red Wine - Yes, Please
      • President/Owner - SnS Grills

OK let's try it like this: http://amazingribs.com/pitmaster_club/index.html

Comment

• Meathead
      Administrator
      • May 2014
      • Chicago area
      • Remember, no rules in the bedroom or kitchen
        Meathead

When you first subscribed it was stated clearly that renewal is automatic, but you can cancel at any time you wish. If you cancel in 90 days you get your money back (that's a pretty good guarantee). But this is important WE DO NOT STORE OR EVEN SEE YOUR CARD NUMBER. The transaction is directly with the bank through a portal. And they store your number whether you renew or not. The process is a whole lot safer than handing your card to a waiter or a clerk at a store! Remember, the big credit card thefts have been at brick and mortar stores (Target, Home Depot, Staples), not websites or banks.

Why autorenewal? Renewal software is complex and expensive! It needs to track expiration dates for thousands of members, send renewal reminders (nobody wants to get emails from us begging you to renew) and we have to hope the reminders don't get trapped by spam filters (a lot of email is misdirected this way nowadays and people yell at us when it is their spam filter's fault), then we have to deal with complaints if you expire and can't get back in, then we have to manually reactivate you, etc. Finally there are gift subscriptions. We first need to ask the givers if they want to renew and if not we need to ask the recipient. All of this is a massive pain! The whole purpose of the Pitmaster Club is to raise money to keep the site alive and growing, not to spend it all on renewal software! In fact, we no longer offer gift subscriptions because managing them is too complex and expensive. In any case, if you want a refund, screw the 90 day guarantee, I'm happy to issue it. Anytime.

Comment

• Meathead
        Administrator
        • May 2014
        • Chicago area
          Meathead

One more thing: Trying to renew people via email is a nightmare. In the past year we have had monthly drawings for prizes worth $100 on average. On THREE occasions, we sent a notice to a winner and got no response! It went to spam or who knows what.

Comment

• Meathead
          Administrator
          • May 2014
          • Chicago area
            Meathead

One more thing: If your membership expires, and you decide to come back, we cannot give you the same user name. The system won't allow it. We don't want another person to join and use a previous member's name. What is he's a spammer or troll? So autorenewal protects your "brand".

Comment

• Meathead
            Administrator
            • May 2014
            • Chicago area
              Meathead

One more thing, I have just instituted a new policy: If you are autorenewed and you want to cancel, we'll issue a full refund.

Comment

• Willy
              Charter Member
              • Apr 2015

Just to be clear, my posts were written with zero animosity and I harbor no ill will towards AR for their policy of auto-renewal. I responded because this topic is of interest to me. Also to be clear, in the last five years, my AmEx card has been compromised twice, so assurances that I am extremely unlikely to have card info stolen necessarily ring hollow. I have no idea how the card was compromised, but it has made me more cautious and aware. Based on your comments, Meathead, it is clear to me that I likely don't understand exactly how and by whom card info is handled and stored. My assumption is/was that once a retailer processes my payment, that retailer no longer has my card info. I will learn more.

On the cooking front, I turned out a very nice rib roast from the rotisserie last night! :«)

Comment

• BruceB
                BruceB commented
                Editing a comment
                I have never heard of a card processor being hacked, but I suppose it is possible.
                Lots of credit card processing firms have been hacked, here's just one from this spring. http://money.cnn.com/2012/04/02/tech...each/index.htm (oops - that was a couple of years ago, but it's still happening.)

I believe it is just inherent in online transactions, a risk that is taken similar to getting in your car and driving to the store, where you use your card anyway and it's probably processed through a third party processing firm.

Aside form running around with a big bag of cash, I don't see any way around it. I use a card that has low limits, and is closely monitored by my credit union.
                Last edited by BruceB; August 11, 2015, 02:39 PM.

• Meathead
                Meathead commented
                Editing a comment
                BruceB I had not heard about that hack in 2012. I like your card strategy. And as I say, handing your card to a waiter is much higher risk than our setup.

• (fuzz)
                (fuzz) commented
                Editing a comment
                I think the most important takeaway from that article is this "no matter what, you're not liable for unauthorized charges made on your account". Banks get robbed, that doesn't mean you lose the money you had at that bank.
            • Stevehtn
              Former Member
              • Sep 2014
              • East TN

One thing is for sure, imho, the info on the free site alone is worth the yearly subscription. But the pit is worth twice the amount, bugs aside. Identity theft is rampant everywhere, so though we should all be cautious, it's also unrealistic to lock yourself up in a cave. This site is awesome. So easy to ask a question here and get a quick response, and anybody can learn something new. Looking forward to future improvements but thanks to Meathead and all you others for setting this site up.

Comment

• mackdaddy
                mackdaddy commented
                Editing a comment
                Ditto!!
            • bep35
              Founding Member
              • Jul 2014
              • Pierre,SD
              • 1987 Weber Kettle (Still going!)
                2004 Cookshack Smokette (The original!)
                2012 Weber Genesis (Wonderful for steaks and chops!)
                2014 Pit Barrel Cooker (Lovin it!)
                Thermoworks Thermapen
                Thermoworks Mini Handheld Thermocouple & Meat Needle Probe
                Various other wireless remote thermometers

Beer...Bud Light (Timeless)

I have had my card hacked twice. Both times handing it to another person. The first time a hotel clerk, the second time a waiter. With both incidents the bank took care of everything and none of the unauthorized charges were my responsibility. The bank issued me a new card and life went on. It's the world we live in.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
              Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
              See more
              See less
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Meat-Up in Memphis

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use our links when you buy things

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear
              The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill
              The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
              The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
              The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

thermapen
              The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. The MK4 includes features that are common on high-end instruments: automatic backlight and rotating display. Don't accept cheap substitutes.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

Grilla pellet smoker
              We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5" x 29.5" footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.

Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Delta by Nuke,
              Stylish and Affordable
              Gaucho Grill

Weber Genesis Grill
              Delta by Nuke burns wood or charcoal and comes with an adjustable height grill grate. This Argentinian grill will get your flame on!

Genesis II E-335
              A Versatile Gasser That Does It All!

Weber Genesis Grill
              Webers Genesis line has long been one of the most popular choices for gas grillers. The new Genesis II E-335 offers solid performance, a sear burner for sizzling heat and an excellent warranty.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates
              GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily rmoved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

PK 360 grill
              The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

kareubequ bbq smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker
              This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175? to 350?F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Click here to read our detailed review

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer
              A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Track Up To Six Temperatures At Once

Grilla pellet smoker
              FireBoard Drive 2 is an updated version of a well-received product that sets the standard for performance and functionality in the wireless food thermometer/thermostatic controller class.

Click here for our review of this unique device

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill
              Napoleon's NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill
              Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order