Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Cook

Folks were so helpful when I asked about switching from my Yoder offset to a new Yoder pellet cooker that I wanted to share my first cook.

My wife and I were at the butcher and I got a boneless/skinless turkey breast. Would have obviously preferred bone-in put you have to typically order that a day or two in advance.

Anyway, let the turkey sit in the fridge for 2 days with a dry-brine and cooked it last night with cherry pellets for about 5 hours at 225 degrees. Cooked the turkey to 160 degrees in the thickest part and tented it under foil for about 15 minutes.

In addition, per recommendations by other posters I used a smoke tube with about 12 inches of cherry pellets and wow that made huge difference. The tube ran for almost the entire cook and I could just tell from all the blue smoke coming out of the chimney it was going to have a lot of smoke flavor. And I am a person that likes heavy smoke. You can definitely tell the difference between my offset and the pellet cooker, but the smoke flavor was still very strong and so much stronger than I feared. All in all, a huge win on the smoke. I was very pleased.

Otherwise turkey turned out great. Strong smoke flavor, juicy, and as you can see from the photos I got a great bark.

Here are a few photos, but just wanted to thank everybody again for your advice. And for those still thinking about the Yoder, after one cook I am totally sold. I missed the challenge of the stick burner and working to maintain the heat. My wife joked that using a computer as a smoker is cheating. But, with the limited space we have in the city I definitely feel like getting the Yoder was the right pick and just like their offset this machine is built like a tank and I imagine being able to enjoy it for a long time.

Attached Files

Congrats and I am happy for you.

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Wow! Nice work, this looks great. If you prefer the pellet route, more power to you. You gotta do what works for you in your situation.

Comment

• JakeLester9
            JakeLester9 commented
            Editing a comment
            I prefer my offset but sadly city living doesn't really make it easy to have a 1000lb grill in your yard.

Looks good, very good, so good may not have room for improvement, save pair with PBR, of course.
          Happy Pellet grilling to you.

Comment

Congratulations! I love my Yoder.

Comment

Looks mighty nice! Keep it up.

Comment

Yoder, Yoder, Yoder!!! Haha
                Great looking cook I'm planning a Turkey breat cook this weekend myself.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here