Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yoder Stick Burner to Yoder Pellet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, this is great insight. I have honestly never used a WSCG, but in researching it indicates it might work too.

But, I have had the same experience as lostclusters. I have found that when using my dad's Green Egg on a brisket that I got an acrid taste. Again, I am by no means an experience with the Green Egg so I was probably just doing it wrong. But, my experience pushed me in the direction of a more traditional smoker.

And on my offset, I typically cook between 225 and 275 depending on what I am serving.

Regardless, the input on this thread has been great. Much appreciated. I have been a member for many years but don't post much. But, whenever I do the advice is great. Thanks.

Comment

• Alphonse
      Alphonse commented
      Editing a comment
      Ref. Egg and acrid taste, did you put some wood chunks in it? I have two kamados and one is an Egg. I learned not to put big wood chunks in it due to the smoldering wood makes bad smoke.

Yea, I did and I always assumed that was the problem. The issue though is getting the desirable flavor without the chunks. I am sure it works better as you master the process, but as I said above I felt my kettle grill could accomplish the same thing.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with you on kettles being able to produce similar results to the Kamado, especially with inserts like the Slow 'N Sear. They may not be as efficient, but they are similar in size and ability.

I got my Weber Performer Deluxe from a friend who bought a Yoder YS640, and he LOVES the Yoder. His wife had placed him under a 5 cooker limit on their patio, so he sold me the Performer with all accessories for $100 the week before the Yoder was delivered.

Originally posted by JakeLester9 View Post
    Yea, I did and I always assumed that was the problem. The issue though is getting the desirable flavor without the chunks. I am sure it works better as you master the process, but as I said above I felt my kettle grill could accomplish the same thing.
    Capacity is probably your biggest difference when comparing a 22" kettle to a larger Kamado style for what you all you can really do with one. You loose a fair amount of real estate on a 22" kettle with the SnS. A 24"/XL Kamado starts with a good amount more cooking space that you don't take away from using Kamado mode to smoke. As for acidic, I haven't noticed it with my WSCG and smoke with chunks, but usually like 2-3 for a short cook or 4-5 spread out for a long cook. The WSCG is slightly less efficient than ceramic, so maybe it smolders a tiny bit less too? I've never had a ceramic to compare to.

End results, you might be able to get a taste you like better on the kettle as it's far less efficient so is going to smolder less at the expense of a little more work occasionally stirring coals and refueling. I've yet to need to refuel my WSCG on a cook yet (but have wasted a fair amount of charcoal not knowing the right amount to use).

I think Yoders are very nice pellet rigs and I know a few people that have them and love them, it's just that most of them I know went from a gasser or a cheaper pellet rig to a Yoder vs from a stick burner to a pellet grill. When I see people that detest or despise pellet grills they usually end up having come from a stick burner or cabinet smoker to a pellet grill. They complain that there's just no smoke flavor. Try to find a way to test drive one first somehow. Maybe see if there's a local dealer that has a demo unit you could rent for a weekend or if they'd let you cook a couple things on it at their shop if you took and afternoon off or something (tell them you'll cook a little extra for them). Stalk the members here if one is close to you or on a Yoder Pellet FB group.

If you're anywhere near me, after I get the MAK, I'd throw something on for you to swing by and sample, but every pellet grill does provide a different smoke. Yoder does have the reputation of being on the higher end for a pellet grill.

As I was typing this up, another thought hit me as well. Have you ever seen the M-Grills M1. If I didn't have a WSCG, I'd be looking very hard at one personally. It's a a reverse flow style grill and smoker in one with a charcoal grilling bed you can raise and lower as well as a lower reverse flow style firebox that can be used with splits or charcoal. Appear to be about the size of a medium sized gas grill.

When it comes to crafting the best BBQ, you need gear that matches your passion for grilling excellence. The American made M1 grill and smoker is your ultimate culinary partner, built to elevate your BBQ game. Say goodbye to compromise and shortcuts – this is the last cooker you'll ever need. Versatile and efficient, t

Anyway, you don't get many bigger pellet grill fans than me, so I'd love to see you buy a Yoder and post a bunch of info and pictures of it, but want to see you happy when you drop that kinda coin on a cooker. If your primary drivers are space and brand loyalty versus convenience being your primary goal with a pellet grill, you have a great opportunity for disappointment.

Comment

Wanted to thank everybody for their input again. I bought the YS480 yesterday from a local Maryland dealer and they will deliver it tomorrow. They had both that and the 680 in stock but the 480 just fit our city space better and it is plenty big enough to cook the food we need. As I mentioned in my previous post, we will move our offset elsewhere but the owner of the store said his smokers are flying off the shelves so fast that he offered to buy my Loaded Wichita.

Per folks recommendations I also bought a smoker tube that is large enough to put small chunks in rather than pellets. Curious, for anybody using a tube on their Yoder pellet grill do you put it directly on the grill grates or on top of your heat plate?

We also got a new Weber grill, nothing fancy just the cheaper 22 inch that comes on the cart. If I ever have the urge to make something super smoky I can throw on the smokenator and add wood to my hearts delight.

Again, thank you, and I have some ribs from the butcher I pulled out of the freezer this morning to throw on the smoker once it arrives.

Jake

Comment

• Redwng
        Redwng commented
        Editing a comment
        Congrats on getting the 480, you will enjoy it. Pellet smokers need to have the firepot clean to run efficiently but nothing is without a little maintenance. Which smoker tube did you buy that is large enough for small wood chunks?

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        Congrats on your purchase. I just put it on the bottom grate on the left side but not to close to the temp sensors. Works great for some extra flavor.

Yea, probably a helpful clarification. I bough the "A-Maze-N" that stretches to 18 inches. When I meant it will hold small wood chunks I actually took splits from my offset and used a hatchet to break pieces down into sizes that fit. It definitely wouldn't hold a wood chunk like you get in a bag at Home Depot.

But, I ran a test yesterday by just sticking the tube in my Weber with the wood pieces I chopped off my split and I was able to produce smoke with it stretched out to 18 inches for about 5 hours (cherry wood). Pretty successful test, the smoke ran blue the whole time and produced a fair amount of smoke so this definitely seems like it will help with the flavor.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here