Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yoder Rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yoder Rust

Yes, I know there have been topics, but I am looking for some personal info and figured the fine group here can help.

We are exploring a number of pellet smokers to replace ours/upgrade ours. The Yoder is 640 is one that we had landed on, but the rust is concerning and one of the things that kept me away last time.

We live in Nashville and have a covered patio that is screened in. The smoker would be there so not in direct elements. While it would get covered at times, many times it will not be, as it is part of an outdoor kitchen and area that to be frank, just doesn't look good covered and would be used less if taking on and off.

For that reason I have always gone with stainless and it has served me well. Yet I am drawn to this smoker and want to hear more from people who have had it and what type of results they have had in similar climates? Sand and paint once a year? Just some minor spot treatments? Or without a cover full time, this thing will not look pretty in short order?

I have owned my YS640 since June 2018. For the first 1 1/2 years it was my patio with their vinyl cover. When it was rainy I threw a piece of plastic over the electronics and hopper under the cover for protection. I have a few very small rust spots on the hopper lid and right next to the lid on the body of the hopper. This spring I added a solid cover over the patio but still throw some plastic on the controller because it is near the edge of the cover.
    Now I do live in California so I do not get the humidity you do. It sounds to me like you would be good in your area rain wise.

Comment

I have had my 640 going on 4 years now and I live right by the Atlantic Ocean. On the cook chamber rust developed this year by the hinges. A wire wheel on a drill removed it and I used the touch up paint they provided to repaint those areas. I periodically give everything a light coating of oil before a high temperature cook and that seems to protect the exterior. However, I probably missed the hinge areas when doing so. The bottom shelf built into the standard stand does need more maintenance and can show rust. This area I stripped down to metal and repainted. I wonder if the competition cart would hold up better against rust than the standard shelf.

Comment

I live in the mountains of Utah basically no humidity. My Yoder is under a covered patio never put the cover on it 6 years old has a little rust showing up on the bottom shelf. I will refinish that area this spring. The thing I really like over my old stainless gril is when it got discolored or scratched it was always there. With my Yoder I see no big deal to make it like new again.
        Plus... well... it's a Yoder! 😀🔥

Comment

Originally posted by ofelles View Post
          I have owned my YS640 since June 2018. For the first 1 1/2 years it was my patio with their vinyl cover. When it was rainy I threw a piece of plastic over the electronics and hopper under the cover for protection. I have a few very small rust spots on the hopper lid and right next to the lid on the body of the hopper. This spring I added a solid cover over the patio but still throw some plastic on the controller because it is near the edge of the cover.
          Now I do live in California so I do not get the humidity you do. It sounds to me like you would be good in your area rain wise.
          Glad to hear it, although being in CA, the humidity is a bit lower than what we have here.

Comment

Originally posted by Donw View Post
            I have had my 640 going on 4 years now and I live right by the Atlantic Ocean. On the cook chamber rust developed this year by the hinges. A wire wheel on a drill removed it and I used the touch up paint they provided to repaint those areas. I periodically give everything a light coating of oil before a high temperature cook and that seems to protect the exterior. However, I probably missed the hinge areas when doing so. The bottom shelf built into the standard stand does need more maintenance and can show rust. This area I stripped down to metal and repainted. I wonder if the competition cart would hold up better against rust than the standard shelf.

So overall, you think the rust thing online is a bit overblown?
            That is my only fear holding me back right now.

Comment

I have a Yoder 480 - 5 yrs old. I live near the ocean and have had some rust in spots, as well as drippings from under the door accumulating on the front. Last year I sanded gown those areas and used the supplied touch up paint and it looks like new. I also have a M grill in all thick stainless. While it doesn't rust, it discolors from the heat and can be made like new using a scotch-brite pad. I'm resigned that all grills need some work. So is it an issue with Yoder? It would be nice if their thick steel did not rust, but it's never been a big issue for me because the product performs so well.

Comment

Iron oxide is no respecter of smokers.

Comment

• Chiller Phil
                  Chiller Phil commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Excluding KBQ's.

All metal will rust eventually but the good thing is the ys640 chamber is plate steel not sheet metal like the majority of the ones you will find for sale. The prices for pellet grills are getting way way out of hand anyway. You pay almost the same price for a tin can with an auger from Home Depot as you will a 10 gauge steel yoder. I have had my YS640 since 2014 and last year it started getting some rust on it mostly on the cart but nothing bad. I have to admit that it is my fault though, I have never once put a cover on it. I moved to the frozen north from the tropics 3 years ago and it has been sitting on the back patio with no cover ever since then. When it ain't snowing here it is raining and the thing keeps on working. I am actually surprised the control panel has not shorted out yet. It is well built I have used it a couple times without a thermal blanket when it was 10F outside. I did have to use a hairdryer to warm up the power switch because it was frozen and would not move and the fans and auger sounded like they where grinding on something but that went away after it warmed up. If I don't upgrade my controller I might actually sell it only because the price for a new one has shot up 700 dollars since I bought mine. I paid 1300 in 2014 and now they start at 2k, that's a 100 dollar a year increase since I bought mine.

Comment

• rickd972
                  rickd972 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  dont want to hijack this thread; but I'm in the same boat as (Arrow). you speak of rain. Do you run yours in the rain? My only concern really. seems the "outside" of the hopper (away from the pit) may keep moisture out; but the inside seems "flat" and may allow water into the pellets?

Yes, they rust, but with a little bit of TLC, you can touch up and they look like new.

Comment

I wonder if Lone stars new pellet grill will have rust issues?

Comment

We keep our 2021 vintage YS640 and its Yellow competition cart outside with the full Yoder cover when not in use Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4467.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.72 MB ID:	1395413 . Being on the east edge of Phoenix, moisture is not an issue. No Fire Allowed" days in the summer mean this unit gets the summer off.....

Comment

• jfmorris
                      jfmorris commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Wow! Even pellet cookers are banned? Is anything smoking related allowed in summer?

• DogFaced PonySoldier
                      DogFaced PonySoldier commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Super duper thin clear blue smoke that they can't see coming from behind your house... lol

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here