Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey on the Upper Grate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey on the Upper Grate

Hey folks -
    I have a new YS640s with an upper and lower grate and I'm going to cook the Thanksgiving turkey - spatchcock style. It's a 15 pound bird.
    I'd like place the bird on the top grate and a drip pan (full of veggies and broth for gravy) on the main grate under the bird.
    It looks tight up there and I'm not sure there's enough room for the turkey to cook and brown properly.
    ​​​​​​Have any of you with 640 experience ever done this?

Your comments are welcomed - thanks!

I have done a 14 pounder a couple of times on my Yoder. Spatchcocked it is fine. took about 3.5 -4 hours starting at 225F for an hour then 275F the remainder. Skin was brown but not crispy.
    This year I'm doing it in the cabinet and may raise the temp to 325F to see if the skin is better.
    Good luck!

Comment

Hey Ofelles -
      Did you cook the 14 pounder on the top grate?

Comment

When I responded I was sure I did. Now I'm not so sure, I think I did. Sorry. I usually make my gravy using very rich chicken stock and stir in any drippings I get when I carve it up.
        Using the Yoder bottom shelf makes it impossible.

Comment

• Raven Rock
          Raven Rock commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, ofelles - we'll see if others chime in

Looking for those with experience smokin' spatchcock turkey on the top shelf of their Yoder YS640 - or have tried to.
        I know you're out there.....

Comment

I don’t see why you would have any issues. Thinking of your pellet grill as nothing more than a wood fired oven. Your oven indoors has temp variations depending on which rack level you use. Same with your Yoder. Ideally you should place an ambient grate temp monitor on the upper grate so you know what that temp is. If you don’t have one, get one. They’re easily available. And cheap. Amazon can get it to you in two days without any problem. Then go for it! It will be great.

Comment

I suppose you can also call the folks at Yoder. I would be stunned if they could not give guidance.

Comment

So I did use the top shelf . Just remembered this video using the YS640. From All Things BBQ
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP7h...l=allthingsbbq

Comment

Thanks Ofelles. I'll watch the video in just a bit and write back.
                I'd really like to put a drip pan under the spatchcocked turkey (on the main grates) so I'm really hoping the top shelf of the Yoder accommodates the height of the flat bird.

Thanks again - I'll write back later today!

Comment

Ofelles -
                  That video is awesome. It shows a 14 pounder fits nicely on the top shelf of the YS640.
                  That's where I'll put the bird and I'm putting a big ol' foil pan under it to make stock for gravy!
                  One part I will deviate from the video - I'm not putting the turkey on a flat cookie sheet.
                  I'm going directly on the upper grate so the bird drips into my foul pan.
                  Thanks so much for your help - I really appreciate how much you thought about this..

Happy Thanksgiving from the Lake Norman area of North Carolina!
                  Last edited by Raven Rock; November 19, 2020, 06:13 PM.

Comment

raven Rock, good luck on your turkey bird on the Yoder. Late to this thread but I did one last year and it was a hit - it evaporated on the cutting board.

I did put it on a pan but have also cooked one directly on the grate and a catch pan for the drippings. Here's a photo of the pan version underway. I don't remember how large it was, but there's plenty of head room on the 640.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	427
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	945023

Comment

Upper grate, good choice. Per Chef Tom from All Things BBQ, upper rack is further from the heat deflector.

Comment

I did get a13lb spatchcocked turkey on the upper grate with room to spare. Very happy about that.
                        I had it on the grate directly - no pan or foil.
                        On the main/lower grate I had a large disposal aluminum pan with vegetable broth and chicken broth, onions and celery. I used this to make gravy. I had the Yoder set to 325.
                        The turkey came out very good. The skin was not very good - chewy and just not edible.
                        Just before going into the smoker, I rubbed some mayo on the bird in an attempt to help get the skin crispy. That didn't work. I think I'll try cooking 'er at 350 or 375 need time.
                        ​​​​​​​All things considered -a good first attempt with room for improvement.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here