Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Once the YS640s Arrives.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once the YS640s Arrives.....

I got the call and the new YS640s will be delivered on Thursday 10/29.
    Once it arrives and I perform a standard burn off per the directions that will accompany the Yoder, what should I do?
    Wipe the exterior with a light coat of vegetable oil or Cook up a pork butt and enjoy or Cook a slab of pork belly to season / coat the interior or.....

Your guidance is appreciated!

Yes to all of the above!. How exciting! I coated to interior of mine with oil and dove in with a butt. After a few cooks I got around to the outside.
    ENJOY!

Comment

• Raven Rock
      Raven Rock commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn't think about coating the inside - that's interesting.
      What's the benefit of coating the inside?

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      Raven Rock I think it gives a good even coat of seasoning to start with. The build from cooking up is somewhat uneven. Start it up to burn off the build residue, cool down, then coat and burn in again. A couple of dry runs help get a feel for how it works temp wise.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      You dove in butt-first??

Be prepared for heavy uncrating and some assembly! Just sayin’

Comment

• Raven Rock
      Raven Rock commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Texas Larry - Tools are at the ready

• TJMagneto
      TJMagneto commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll second that as you are looking at a 300 pound rig. One of my kids helped me uncrate and assemble mine. He was a lifesaver.

• fracmeister
      fracmeister commented
      Editing a comment
      Heavy maybe but it comes almost completely assembled. It is a beast. First thing to do is call all of your friends with Traegers and have them come over and lift the lid. hah

Haven’t seasoned/prepped a Yoder... but it sounds like you’ve got it figured out. Welcome to the wonderful world of pellet cooking

Comment

• Raven Rock
      Raven Rock commented
      Editing a comment
      Very kind of you.
      I'm not sure I'd go as far as to say I have it figured out but I'm trying

• rwalters
      rwalters commented
      Editing a comment
      Whatcha been cooking on up to this point? Just curious

• Raven Rock
      Raven Rock commented
      Editing a comment
      I've had a Weber Summit for the last 12 years

You should call me and give me your address

Comment

• Raven Rock
      Raven Rock commented
      Editing a comment
      Anytime you're near Charlotte - drop a line

Thanks for the replies, folks.
    After the burnoff and a light coat of oil, I'll just jump right in with a small pork butt.
    I'll be sure to take pictures and notes along the way.

Comment

Jealous!

Comment

Happy schmokin! I love the feeling of a new toy being delivered. I've said this before in other topics, but when I was waiting for my Yoder stick burner to be delivered, I remember pacing back and forth looking out the window every 15 seconds watching for the semi. Of course it came an hour *after* the projected delivery window, so I was pacing faster and faster and driving my wife nuts. Then when it came I'm quite sure I was the annoying customer that the delivery drivers hate- standing, hovering, making lame jokes while waiting for him to hurry with straps and the lift gate already..

Comment

Originally posted by Raven Rock View Post
          Thanks for the replies, folks.
          After the burnoff and a light coat of oil, I'll just jump right in with a small pork butt.
          I'll be sure to take pictures and notes along the way.
          How did it go? Get it uncrated, seasoned and running?

Comment

• Raven Rock
            Raven Rock commented
            Editing a comment
            It arrived mostly assembled with a bag of Supreme Blend from Lumberjack.
            The initial burn went well and I'm cooking a pork butt or some ribs today for the first cook.
            I'll be sure to take pictures.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here