Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I upgrade to YS640

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I upgrade to YS640

Has anyone upgraded from a Pit Boss to a Yoder ys640? I originally planned on getting the Yoder but happened to be at Walmart in June and came across a Pitt boss 700 for literally $100 and said why not.

I’m now wondering am I missing out on anything food quality wise (taste/texture)? Any advice from experience with both is appreciated.

Having a done a review of a Pit Boss and having cooked on a YS640 several times, Would say all you are really missing is durability and consistency.

Yoders are a whole different animal when it comes to build quality and longevity. The Pit Boss is fine for light use, but do not expect it to last nearly as long as something like a Yoder. That is what it really comes down too.

Comment

The Yoder would be a significant upgrade. It’s a great, and very sturdy cooker when equipped with the two piece deflector plate. I’ve had to deal with rust issues, but I hear they’ve improved their paint process.

Comment

Yoder is in the top tier for producing consistent quality smoke according to most reviews and comparisons, the question is if you will notice it and if its enough to merit the cost for you... of course you end up with great customer service and product support in the bargain.

There's people on the comp circuit winning with both brands

If I were in your shoes, I'd upgrade. I still think the Yoders are one of the best looking pellet units on the market. Though I would hold out for a sale, since you already have a cooker.

Comment

Boy that’s a huge leap cost wise. I am a pellet cooker guy but have never used the Yoder or Pit Boss. But if it were me, I would cook the wheels off that Pit Boss and upgrade when it fails. That’s assuming you like the results you are getting from the PB. If you’re not, you’ve answered your own question.
          Last edited by Jfrosty27; October 19, 2020, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Having gone through a few cheap and not so cheap, but still lower quality grills in a few years. I now just bite the bullet and go straight for craftmanship and quality. Of course I at first gasp at the $$$S but do my research and find the best I can afford figuring it's an investment. The kids argue over who will get what!

The Yoders are a solid piece of equipment and I have not regretted going for it. The same for the rest of my cookers.

Comment

Originally posted by Jfrosty27 View Post
              Boy that’s a huge leap cost wise. I am a pellet cooker guy but have never used the Yoder or Pit Boss. But if it were me, I would cook the wheels off that Pit Boss and upgrade when it fails. That’s assuming you like the results you are getting from the PB. If you’re not, you’ve answered your own question.
              This. I doubt you'll see a food quality difference that's at all commensurate with the price difference. In fact, I think you'll see more of a difference made by choosing good meat than by replacing the Pit Boss with the Yoder.

Past a certain point the super high quality things like the Yoder aren't about food quality but about build quality and that feeling you get from using something that is put together with premium materials in a very professional, almost artisanal manner. I mean, Kias and Nissans are perfectly nice cars. They will get you around just as well as a Mercedes etc. But the Mercedes will feel much nicer, have nicer materials, etc.

For $100, I'd just use the Pit Boss until it falls apart or at least becomes annoying in some manner. Then, if you want, buy the Yoder.

Comment

Wow, the adults in the room answered first. The rest of us MCS addicts would just say why are you even asking that question? Of course you should upgrade. And after that upgrade, upgrade again

Comment

• rickgregory
                  rickgregory commented
                  Editing a comment

Honestly if he was talking upgrading to something for $1k or so I might have said that. But the 640 is $1800 which is a pretty big outlay for what I think will be pretty minimal cook quality gains.

And I don't really suffer from MCS so...

• klflowers
                  klflowers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  rickgregory, Jwater412, on a semi serious note, I am far too cheap to invest $1800 in a smoker/grill, so my post was meant to be tongue in cheek. I am beating myself up over wanting to spend $600.00 on a Grilla Chimp. I spent too much on the piece of junk Traeger PTG I have now; beyond that, the most I have spent is on my WSM. Of course, I spent a mini fortune on a RV lol.
                  Last edited by klflowers; October 19, 2020, 01:28 PM.

I think Traeger PTG is low end, When I up grade from my pellet grill I am planning on a Traeger Timber Line, The Ironwood is good step up also, a few hindered dollars cheaper. Now I have a Cabela's pellet grill, made by the same company that makes Pit Boss--The brand is owned by Dansons, which is the same company that manufactures the well-known Louisiana pellet smokers.

Comment

• klflowers
                  klflowers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Traeger PTG is lower than low end. Won't hold any temps below 300-350. When I called to complain, they said the size makes it difficult to hold low temps. Why did they lie when they sold it to me then??? I will never own another Traeger product. Not that you shouldn't get a Traeger; they just left a bad taste in my mouth over the PTG.
                  Last edited by klflowers; October 22, 2020, 11:16 AM.

• bbqLuv
                  bbqLuv commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Low end is low end.
                  That would leave a bad taste in my mouth also.

Thanks for the replies! This brings me back to considering the Kamado Joe and keeping the Pitt Boss. I moved away from considering the Kamado since I though the amount of work would limit how often I used it, but now having a pellet to use when I don’t have the time to commit will take care of that.

Comment

• BBQPhil
                  BBQPhil commented
                  Editing a comment
                  And I upgraded to the Yoder 480 because I found using my BGE was too difficult for very long cooks at low temperatures.

• rickgregory
                  rickgregory commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Why get something you think you won't use much? I mean, do it if you want, you're an adult etc... but unless you have a use in mind for the kamodo in mind, I'd just use the Pit Boss for a bunch of cooks and see how you like it. If you find the smoke profile too light etc then hell yes, get a Kamodo.

If you are happy with the Pit Boss, keep it like others mentioned and use it until it needs replaced or you can't live without something else :-) Pellet grills seem to evolve all the time and you might get something with better better new features in a couple years...though I think we have to be at a leveling off point already or at least soon and Yoder already has the Fireboard WiFi controller.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here