Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going to look at a new YS640S in a few minutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to look at a new YS640S in a few minutes

I was about to purchase a Traeger Ironwood 885 when I began reading Traeger reviews here at Amazingribs.com. Everyone talked about how well they worked except for one small point: no smoke flavor.
    People talked about using t smoke tube (I have one) from A-MAZE-N in the grill to increase the smoke flavor. Sorry, but if I need to buy a $20 item to make a $1,500 smoker actually do its job, I'm gonna pass on the $1,500 item.

So...I did a web search for a local Yoder dealer. Lo and behold, there is one just 2 miles from my house. I emailed them, and they have the YS640S with WiFi in stock. Guess where I am going this afternoon?

to buy me ice cream?

Comment

Pics or it didn't happen

Comment

Good Luck. The 640 is worth the difference in price.

Comment

I have the pre S model and love it. I assume you know that pellet smokers put out less smoke flavor than stick burners, it's their nature. I am happy with the flavor form my Yoder and sometimes add the tube to enhance a shorter cooks flavor.
          Good luck on your inquiry.

Comment

Purchased. I think it's more of a tank than a smoker...
            It will be delivered tomorrow morning.

WooHoo!

Pics to follow!
            Last edited by Big Easy; June 11, 2020, 01:50 PM.

Comment

• ofelles
              ofelles commented
              Editing a comment
              It's a tank and a smoker. Did you get a comp cart ? 2 door difuser and grill grates?
              Last edited by ofelles; June 11, 2020, 05:10 PM.

• TJMagneto
              TJMagneto commented
              Editing a comment
              Congratulations! Mine will be showing up next week. It's being pulled by oxcart from Kansas to California.

• STEbbq
              STEbbq commented
              Editing a comment
              Congrats on the purchase!!

I am curious to see what you think of your first cook

Comment

I've had a pre S 480 and love it. Reliable and does a great job w brisket, ribs, and even sears steak with the optional baffle and grill grates. Use it 3-4 times a week. The one precaution is to keep it clean and coat the outside with vegetable oil as it easily shows rust. But the touch up paint restores it to like new. And I like that it shows use. I would buy one again because it's more robust than anything else out there I've seen, and I did a lot of looking.

Comment

Congratulations. As a 640 owner too I know you are going to love if. As they say, "Built like a tank." Now you just have to decide who gets it in your will.🙂

Comment

I am curious. Both the Treager and Yoder are pellet grills so I would expect a lack of smoke taste in both. What makes the Yoder so much better at smoke flavor?

Comment

• jerrybell
                    jerrybell commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have the same question.

I don’t know the price difference (I’m outside the US), but the Yoder IS a tank. It’s gonna outlast 3 Traegers easily. Look forward to seeing your first cooks, congrats!

Comment

Looks like the 640 has enough adjustments to make some great meals.

Comment

I too have the pre S480. Use it at least 3 times a week.

Comment

Originally posted by zero_credit View Post
                        I am curious. Both the Treager and Yoder are pellet grills so I would expect a lack of smoke taste in both. What makes the Yoder so much better at smoke flavor?
                        Every review that tried to explain it said it had to do with the internal air flow.
                        All I can tell you is that the butt was plenty smokey, and it had a beautiful smoke ring.

Comment

• STEbbq
                          STEbbq commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Cool! Learn something new every day!

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here