Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

YS480S Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YS480S Review

I bought a YS480S this past June, I bought it because I travel and wanted something substantial to withstand the rigors of travel. I was at first thrilled with the Yoder, buying made in USA was very important to me having seen plenty of Chinese stuff. I have had a real issue with trying to change temperature, the digital readout would change but the controller would not change the temp. I called Yoder, they said it must be at least 35 degrees to change temperature. I told them that mine would not change unless the new temp was at least 50 degrees from set-point and sometimes I need to go to 75 or more degrees to get it to change. I have called Yoder 3 times to try to get this fixed. No help. A few days ago it started blowing the fuse, happened numerous times, finally the fuse holder broke from over activity. I called Yoder about this, they asked for pictures, I sent them, we trouble shot this and determined it was the igniter, Yoder is sending out a new igniter and fuse holder. Good. The next issue is rust. The chrome shelves are rusting, the bottom shelf is rusting, one of the hinges is rusting, the spring handle is rusting. This grill has never been left uncovered, even when inside it is covered. When I spoke with Yoder about the rust the representative told me to buff it out with steel wool, I told him that would only cause the really thin chrome to be eroded more and rust more. No help again. Nothing on the hinge either. In order to deal with the rust on the shelves he said he would send out more paint.

I paid over $1500 for this grill and did it because I thought it was a quality grill and built in the USA, still means a lot to me. This time I am afraid that was a mistake. Other than the igniter and fuse all the issues are ignored.

The following paragraph is from the Yoder representative;

When paint issues are not addressed as they become apparent, it is hard to prevent the adjacent areas from becoming affected. You will find that it is easy to perform any paint touchup on our cookers that will keep it looking good for years to come.

As I said it has always been under a Yoder cover, the rust on the bottom shelf was probably from any moisture dripping down the cover, I do not know how to prevent this other than keeping it in the living room. If the issue is the cover not fitting properly and allowing rust, I guess I don't know what to do about the cover issue. I know that buffing the rust from the chrome parts will only aggravate the rust issue.

Final thoughts; If you want a heavy well built grill that you can keep away from moisture including humidity and don't mind buffing and painting and having a wide temperature cooking range this is it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by timberland1976; March 17, 2020, 05:09 PM.

IMO covers in some areas actually increase rust! I went with a rust proof grill but it was a close call with Yoder up until the last minute. I just don't have time in my schedule for rust mitigation. Lots of people swear by Yoder so it's a shame you had so many issues with the cooking performance

Comment

• timberland1976
      timberland1976 commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with your comment, I agonized over the choice of grills for an inordinate amount of time, drove my wife nuts. I knew there were issues with rust, but I figured if I kept it covered and out of the weather rust would not be an issue. The temperature thing is altogether different. It is tough to try to cook something without the ability to adjust temperature less than 50 degrees, it sure seems likely that if Yoder knows about this they would make it right. Sadly not so.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      The better smoking pellet cookers do fluctuate, but I've never seen anyone say anything like you are with the Yoders. I'm very surprised they didn't help you more to figure it out?

My experience with a YS640S is totally different on temperature control. It is amazing what I am able to achieve. I would step it up a notch with Yoder customer service and call the gent that owns Yoder and All Things BBQ. His name is pointed out in this article. They also have a Facebook page.

Regarding corrosion, are you storing that grill in the grass? I couldn't get away with that with most of the grills I own. They'd all have rust issues. I am fortunate to be able to store mine under cover.
    Last edited by Alphonse; March 17, 2020, 09:01 PM.

Comment

I’m really sorry that you are having this experience with Yoder. I have an older Yoder, and while I have had a spot or two of rust, I haven’t had the experience you are having. I store mine out in the open with a Walmart cover, and I live next to the Ocean. However, I store it on a concrete surface, directly in the Sun so that any moisture under the cover is dried up on clear days. Also about once a week I uncover and let it bake in the direct sunlight.
      I guess the controller issue is with the newer controller as I can make much smaller temperature changes without issue. Kind of glad I have the older style since hearing of your issues.

Comment

• timberland1976
        timberland1976 commented
        Editing a comment
        I do not normally store the grill on grass, I rolled it out for cleaning a picture taking. It has spent much of its life under overhead cover and always with the Yoder cover on it. I am thinking right now because of all the positive reviews I saw prior to purchase is to keep the grill, get a competition cart. That will bring the overall cost north of 2 grand. The cart will eliminate the rust on the chrome shelves as well as the lower shelf. What it does not address is the temperature issue.

I will mirror Donw Stored on the patio under slated covered (soon the be a full cover) I have had 1 very small rust spot in almost 3 years. The grass holds a lot of moisture and if you are storing it there, that could be most of the problem.
      As far as temp goes, it takes some time to heat up or cool down the air, grates, and grill body. if I you are looking for instant changes in temp I don't think any grill does that and given the thickness of the Yoder body, it will be slower.
      Although I have not had to use them, I have heard great things regarding customer response from Yoder. I'm sorry that your experience has been different.

Comment

• timberland1976
        timberland1976 commented
        Editing a comment
        The temp issue is not that the grill body is slow to respond, it is the controller does not. I change the setting from 300 to 350 for example and the controller will not change it. Sometimes it has to go to 60, 70 or more degree change to get the controller to modify from where it currently is.

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        My mistake. I don't have the S model so can't help with that. Sorry you're having problems.

Originally posted by timberland1976 View Post
      I bought a YS480S this past June, I bought it because I travel and wanted something substantial to withstand the rigors of travel. I was at first thrilled with the Yoder, buying made in USA was very important to me having seen plenty of Chinese stuff. I have had a real issue with trying to change temperature, the digital readout would change but the controller would not change the temp. I called Yoder, they said it must be at least 35 degrees to change temperature. I told them that mine would not change unless the new temp was at least 50 degrees from set-point and sometimes I need to go to 75 or more degrees to get it to change. I have called Yoder 3 times to try to get this fixed. No help. A few days ago it started blowing the fuse, happened numerous times, finally the fuse holder broke from over activity. I called Yoder about this, they asked for pictures, I sent them, we trouble shot this and determined it was the igniter, Yoder is sending out a new igniter and fuse holder. Good. The next issue is rust. The chrome shelves are rusting, the bottom shelf is rusting, one of the hinges is rusting, the spring handle is rusting. This grill has never been left uncovered, even when inside it is covered. When I spoke with Yoder about the rust the representative told me to buff it out with steel wool, I told him that would only cause the really thin chrome to be eroded more and rust more. No help again. Nothing on the hinge either. In order to deal with the rust on the shelves he said he would send out more paint.

I paid over $1500 for this grill and did it because I thought it was a quality grill and built in the USA, still means a lot to me. This time I am afraid that was a mistake. Other than the igniter and fuse all the issues are ignored.

The following paragraph is from the Yoder representative;

When paint issues are not addressed as they become apparent, it is hard to prevent the adjacent areas from becoming affected. You will find that it is easy to perform any paint touchup on our cookers that will keep it looking good for years to come.

As I said it has always been under a Yoder cover, the rust on the bottom shelf was probably from any moisture dripping down the cover, I do not know how to prevent this other than keeping it in the living room. If the issue is the cover not fitting properly and allowing rust, I guess I don't know what to do about the cover issue. I know that buffing the rust from the chrome parts will only aggravate the rust issue.

Final thoughts; If you want a heavy well built grill that you can keep away from moisture including humidity and don't mind buffing and painting and having a wide temperature cooking range this is it.
      I live in Orlando, FL. Tomorrow we are getting a break from the heat. It's "only" going to be 87. And it rains every day during monsoon season. It is currently monsoon season.
      I have a Broil King grill and one of their covers. It lasted 6 months before the sun destroyed it. Same thing with the covers for my Pit Barrel and Weber SM. I also have a beautiful Blue Rooster Pizza Oven chiminea. I'm on the 5th cover in 4 years. The chiminea is cast iron and is rusting like hell. I keep buffing it out and painting.
      I am going to a local Yoder dealer tomorrow, but this has me really concerned. It is so humid here in the summer (March thru November) that I'm now very concerned about rust.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here