Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The FireBoard controlled Yoder YS640s!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The FireBoard controlled Yoder YS640s!

The FireBoard PID/adaptive controller on the Yoder YS640s is awesome. The Yoder build quality and the FireBoard PID is why I decided to buy this grill about 3 months ago.

I love the ability to save my cooks on the cloud and also share them live with my buds while the cook is underway.

Here is a brisket cooked yesterday for Super Bowl Sunday. The FireBoard let me document and save the data log of my cook. I am looking forward to FireBoard allowing you to save photos as part of the record as well. I believe they are working on that.

BTW, I have a separate FireBoard PID and fan setup for my other pits.

Here's a screenshot of my FireBoard record of my brisket cook yesterday for the Super Bowl crowd at my house:

Click image for larger version  Name:	FireBoard Log.JPG Views:	0 Size:	97.9 KB ID:	799290

To prove that a brisket actually came off the grill, here are some photos!

Early in the cook:

Click image for larger version  Name:	early on, 6 inch Amazn smoker doing its job.jpg Views:	3 Size:	2.17 MB ID:	799283

At the stall and about to pull, wrap and put back to finish:

Click image for larger version  Name:	about to wrap.jpg Views:	3 Size:	2.58 MB ID:	799281

On the board after a two hour rest in the cooler:

Click image for larger version  Name:	on the board.jpg Views:	3 Size:	1.61 MB ID:	799280

A small teaser slice from the point which my daughter-in-law snagged and ate as soon as I lowered the camera!

Click image for larger version  Name:	small piece of point on the blade.jpg Views:	3 Size:	2.62 MB ID:	799282

Yeap, I love my Yoder and FireBoard. So does my family!
    Last edited by Alphonse; February 3, 2020, 01:08 PM.

That's a good looking piece of brisket, that says it all !! Yep the Fireboard is a fantastic device, used mine with my fan on a 26" Weber kettle to do my Super Bowl cook without any issues. Little surprised your temp graph varied as much as it did, usually in pellets it's pretty flat. Regardless the outcome says it all, great job !!

Comment

• Alphonse
      Alphonse commented
      Editing a comment
      If you look into the Notes from my FireBoard log, I dumped a bucket of pellet remnants that caused that. Here's the excerpt:
      LEARNINGS:
      * The add of a bucket of remnant mix of various Lumber Jack pellets scrambled the PID's adaptive data. The influence can be seen at 12:30 pm. No foul, but an interesting display of a PID adaptive controller at work.
      * Anomaly seen in internal temp probe reading toward end - hot vapor channeling around probe between flat and point. Moved probe.

• Alphonse
      Alphonse commented
      Editing a comment
      I would also add, that you see when I open the pit to look and use Thermapen. The FireBoard on the Yoder is really a fantastic tool.

Nice brisket and cooker. I have the pre fireboard YS640 and am very happy. If the controller goes bad I will upgrade. I have the fireboard extreme and fan coming and will be using it on the cabinet once I get it.

Comment

Nice work! Looks great! Those are great rigs, my brother in law just picked one up the other day. He loves it.

Comment

Lookin' real good.

Comment

Nicely done for sure.

Comment

Alphonse - good looking brisket. Is the auger value shown on the graph indicating a rotational speed? I'm used to the auger just running intermittently, but I don't have the same equipment.

Comment

Yoder pellet cookers are tanks for sure. Mine is also pre FireBoard controller and if it fails I too will do the FireBoard upgrade. My sons Yoder has the FireBoard controller and it is amazing.
              Great looking cook!

Comment

• Alphonse
                Alphonse commented
                Editing a comment
                So you are both Yoder fans. My youngest son has a Yoder YS640s as well. We ordered two at the same time for a volume discount! We watch one anothers cooks from two hundred miles away.

• STEbbq
                STEbbq commented
                Editing a comment
                I never thought of watching other folks’ cooks.

Alphonse

Originally posted by jerrybell View Post
              Alphonse - good looking brisket. Is the auger value shown on the graph indicating a rotational speed? I'm used to the auger just running intermittently, but I don't have the same equipment.
              Jerry, Yes, the green is the auger speed as a percentage. The auger is variable speed but I don't believe it is ever intermittent. That would risk losing your flame. It can slow to a crawl but never stops as long as you are running a cook.

Here is a shared screen from the subject cook. This is what you would have received if I had shared the cook with you. It is showing the same data as the chart I posted above but you see the percentage auger speed in this cut. The right hand vertical scale is the drive percentage. You see that in this cook the auger ran 15 to 17 percent and peaked one time at 22 percent after I had the door open checking briskets temps with the Thermapen.

BTW, if you were using a FireBoard on a pit with a combustion air fan, you will see the fan operate in an intermittent and variable speed mode depending on need for combustion air.

Hope this answers your question.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FireBoard shared view.JPG
Views:	2120
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	799531

Comment

• jerrybell
                jerrybell commented
                Editing a comment
                It does answer my question. Thanks for the additional information. I'm curious about my pellet cooker now (Cabela's). I can hear the auger doing what I thought was a start and stop throughout the cook but maybe what I'm hearing is a switch between a high and low auger speed.

I am new to pellet grills and to smoking. Had a Weber Summit for 12 years. The auger detail is good to know. I have a 640s arriving next week and would have wondered why the auger is always moving.
              Any other details like this would be much appreciated.

Comment

Does anyone here know how to make the green line on the graph show up for the auger? Mine disappeared on me when I turned it on this. The wifi signal is bad so could that be the reason?
                Attached Files

Comment

Are y’all typing these FB notes on your phone??

Comment

• Alphonse
                    Alphonse commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No, I do it on a laptop in my shop adjacent to the patio where I cook. It is possible to use your phone but I prefer a decent keyboard for such tasks.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here