Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Controller Retro kit for the YS models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Controller Retro kit for the YS models

It's here. I have had no problems with my original so I'm not sure at this point if I'll upgrade but it's nice to know I can.

Yoder Smokers are designed for years of of heavy use. We construct our line of competition-grade smoker pits in America, backed with a 10 year warranty.

I’m with you. No complaints with how my 640 operates now. If sometime in the future my electronics bite the dust it is good to know options are available.

Comment

I was quoted the same thing to switch to a WiFi PID version for my P&S. I'm like why? Just trying to get into your wallet...again.

Comment

From what I have gathered elsewhere, the Yoder pellet grill owners have been asking about this upgrade to the FireBoard based controller package with WIFI/Bluetooth capability. I have a FireBoard system that I use on kamados and a pit and like the way it performs, reports/adjusts via the cloud and also appreciate the Bluetooth application. If I had an older Yoder, I would find this an interesting upgrade but would weigh the cost carefully of course.

I received an email from Yoder today about the upgrade being available. Here's a snippet of a photo from the email of the components you get. I am not surprised it costs $399 or more. BTW, there are two different packages, depending on the age of your grill. Looks like a lot of pieces and parts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	yoder upgrade.JPG
Views:	375
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	753827

Comment

I have a YS640. It has been a solid work horse for me. When I think of wireless controllers I think the purpose is to let me sleep through the night while the computer runs my pit. I have an original Stoker on my WSM. The Yoder does this without wireless. I set the temp and it runs and runs until the pellets run out.

Comment

I’d love to jump on this but it is priced over my head. Can’t justify it. While I would love the WiFi convenience, I mostly wish I could read the LED on the current model in daylight. The new board solves that, but ... otherwise my YS640 works wonderfully well as is.

Comment

• ofelles
              ofelles commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree with you

Hopefully someone acquires one and installs and will let us all know with a review.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweaty Paul View Post
              Hopefully someone acquires one and installs and will let us all know with a review.
              I am assuming that it performs the same as the new YS640S grill. So a reasonably detailed review of the latest model 640S should cover the bases.

There is info available here on the Yoder Forum and their broader category there.

Comment

The install of the upgrade kit was a piece of cake, now that I've said that, I have a 2012 I bought used, twice I have taken every not and screw off, sandblasted, primed, and painted. So working on my Yoder is second nature. I had to move that thermocouple as It had been on the back wall. The instructions were very well written, and easy to work with. I do wish they had told me that the new fire grate was included, as I ordered one. The new display can not be seen from my patio door. But I can see it on the APP. The App is sweet. Auto starts a session when you start cooker. You can force a new session, if you just want to record cook time, and not preheat. First cook it overshot, second cook rose and nailed the setpoint.

Comment

• ofelles
                  ofelles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  SammyJ Good to know, thank you. I have a couple of very small rust spots so this next spring I will be doing some touch up I guess.
                  Enjoy the mods.

Very happy to see the upgrade went well for you. I have a FireBoard that I use on all my pits including my YS480 it is fantastic. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here