Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deep clean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deep clean

doing a deep clean, found firebox seals not in best shape. So I'm going to pull firebox and reseal. Anyone want pictures I'll be glad to post.

Post em!

I resealed mine this spring with some high temp silicone, but I still have essentially disappointing results with my Yoder. I don't know what is wrong, and I don't knwo what to do. Too hot at the grates, I get burned stuff on the bottom.

Comment

• Alphonse
      Alphonse commented
      Editing a comment
      What temps are you cooking at? Which pit do you have? One with the Fireboard or the older controller?

I have found my Yoder is best for low and slow cooks. The lower grate is much hotter than the top one. I attribute that to radiant heat off the heat deflector plate. I usually cook long cooks on mine at ~250F. I have been very successful cooking ribs, brisket, butts, pork belly, and the like. I do manage the grease with catch pans on the lower grate.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
      DogFaced PonySoldier commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree that's my biggest complaint - really REALLY wide variance from left ot right and top to bottom. If I have to cook on the top grate and put barriers on the bottom grate, it ends up being half the size. Or less, really. I've learned to adapt a bit and do a LOT of moving things around, but it's a bit annoying. Mine is a 2017 YS480. It's built like a tank, but the temp variability drives me bonkers. Not fluxuations, jst L/R, front/rear and top/bottom. Annoying.

This is a 2012, upgraded to S model, added compart cart

Comment

Cook Chamber lower, typical rust and crud.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0889.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	1096454

Fire Box removed, cleaning the sealing surfaces

Name:	IMG_0893.JPG
Views:	312
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	1096455
      Used a marker to mark location of fire box.

Name:	IMG_0897.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	1096456

This is the Permatex 81878 Ultra Copper Maximum Temperature RTV Silicone Gasket Maker

Name:	IMG_0898.JPG
Views:	317
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1096457

Used the same sealant to seal up the stack.

Name:	IMG_0899.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	1096458

You can see the wire brush in a drill made.

Went over the entire inside.

Yeah, a lot of work, butt I am retired, and have time to do it right.

More pictures later.

Comment

Pulled from the wall, giver a good hand washing.

Name:	IMG_0903.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	1097457

Comment

• saneric38
          saneric38 commented
          Editing a comment
          I noticed the vertical pellet smoker in the back. I had problems with my PitBoss vertical until I got an aftermarket control box and mounted it where the cord gets wrapped. I also moved the thermostat to the middle back. Voided warranty, but had no issue after many cooks since the change.
          Last edited by saneric38; September 20, 2021, 10:13 AM.

• SammyJ
          SammyJ commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, Savanah Stoker top left. Runs real good now.

This job is completed!!!! got grates and heat deflector back from sandblasting. All coated with Canola Oil, setting at 300F now, will go up by 50 each hours or so. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0934.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	1099739

Name:	IMG_0935.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	1099740

Name:	IMG_0936.JPG
Views:	273
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	1099741

Comment

Looks like new! Great job!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here