Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Smokefire cook after burn-in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Smokefire cook after burn-in

Decided to try a couple racks of spares in it first. I’ve replace the glow plug assembly and am using drip pans. So far, she’s holding temp steady @275. Harry Soo has said he gets the best results at this temp with the SF. Hoping for the best. Still waiting on addl parts from Weber, it couldn’t wait! Note, it’s currently 18 degrees out, so it’ll be interesting to see the amount of Weber pellets I burn through.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mark-B; January 1, 2021, 11:59 AM.

I don’t follow Harry Soo to know he said that, but I do a lot of smoking at 275 on my SmokeFire too. To me, it seems to put out great smoke there where other pellet grills I’ve had are starting to taper off at 250. Good luck with your new grill.

Comment

• Mark-B
      Mark-B commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, he’s really the reason I pulled the trigger on this grill. He’s had great success with it, so much so, he owns 2 now. I just hope my experience is the same as his.

Also, what’s the replacement glow plug assembly? I haven’t been tracking as much over past month or two, is there another part update?

Comment

• Mark-B
      Mark-B commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, new glow plug along with the new bracket. Still waiting for my auger and pellet shoot. Note, I just bought this gen 1, so catching it up to the latest. You prob already have this glow plug I’m guessing.
      Last edited by Mark-B; January 1, 2021, 01:33 PM.

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      Edit: wrong thread....Thanks for the info.

OK, here's the verdict. I did 2 racks (Hormel), one smailler and the other much larger (St. Lous cut). I debated buying the second rack when I looked at it as it was the last one and very large. The family loved, loved the first rack, the second larger was just OK. it'll make good rib sandwiches. At least that's my plan.

The SmokeFire worked perfectly through the entire cook and held temp. rock solid in my 18 ~ degree weather. I'm very happy about that. To me the ribs were just OK. Not much smoke flavor, but very tender and edible. Typically I've done ribs on my WSM and kettle. I think it's better on those, but I give props to the WSF for ease of use. The "Ron Poppeil" of smokers. Set it an forget it.

Also, note, I did follow the Weber Connect instructions for the bigger rack. I cooked the smaller one, how I normally cook them.

I smoked the smaller for about 2.5 hr's and finished it in foil with some apple juice. The larger one, I followed the instructions through the app and wrapped them at 3 hrs, cooked them for an hour wrapped, then another half hour, unfoiled on the grill. I rested both, but the smaller one longer, about 1.5 hrs. because it was done sooner. The larger rack was not as moist.

When I smoke ribs again, I'll just do what I've always done in the past as I seem to get the best results.

All in all, I'm really happy with how the unit performed, and look forward to more experimentation to dial things in.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mark-B; January 1, 2021, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here