Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Storage and Shelving? Magnets Plus Stainless Shelf off Amazon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Storage and Shelving? Magnets Plus Stainless Shelf off Amazon?

I was looking at storage and shelving for the Smokefire, and I had some comments/questions.

1) Has anyone found a third-party storage shelf that fits in the inserts underneath the smoker?

2) I understand the front shelf is somewhat flimsy plus when closed, the handle takes away a considerable amount of usable space. I thought I'd point out that "The Fire Ring Guy" (see pic and search on FaceBook) is building some pretty nice shelving units. Has anyone found other third-party shelves that work well?

3) In general, would this stainless steel shelf plus magnet work as a option too? I expect this would work for any smoker.

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Ste...dp/B00J8SOMFY/

https://www.amazon.com/Neodymium-Dou...dp/B076Z81891/
    Attached Files
    Last edited by STEbbq; September 5, 2020, 10:20 AM.

Weber says "I haven't heard word on this [the storage shelf] but the grill will be expandable in the future."

Comment

How do you like your smokefire?
      Would you buy one again?
      thanks in advance

Comment

I don’t have one. This is just MCS forcing me to research the next buy. 😬😔

Comment

Just remember that not all ss is magnetic.

Comment

Neodymium magnets are heat sensitive, FWIW. Here's an excerpt from this site:

Platings/Coatings

Neodymium magnets are a composition of mostly Neodymium, Iron and Boron. If left exposed to the elements, the iron in the magnet will rust. To protect the magnet from corrosion and to strengthen the brittle magnet material, it is usually preferable for the magnet to be coated. There are a variety of options for coatings, but nickel is the most common and usually preferred. Our nickel plated magnets are actually triple plated with layers of nickel, copper, and nickel again. This triple coating makes our magnets much more durable than the more common single nickel plated magnets. Some other options for coating are zinc, tin, copper, epoxy, silver and gold. Our gold plated magnets are actually quadruple plated with nickel, copper, nickel and a top coating of gold.

Demagnetization

Rare Earth magnets have a high resistance to demagnetization, unlike most other types of magnets. They will not lose their magnetization around other magnets or if dropped. They will however, begin to lose strength if they are heated above their maximum operating temperature, which is 176°F (80°C) for standard N grades. They will completely lose their magnetization if heated above their Curie temperature, which is 590°F (310°C) for standard N grades. Some of our magnets are of high temperature material, which can withstand higher temperatures without losing strength.

Kathryn

Comment

• STEbbq
              STEbbq commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow. I guess that kinda kills that idea. Thanks for the info!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here