Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber Smokefire article with updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber Smokefire article with updates

Saw this article addressing recent updates. Seems like Weber has been working hard to make corrections. I bet the next generation is going to be solid.

Nice article, but I wonder about cooker fixes. Are the problems with pellets feeding fixed, and will the next generation have the fix(es) incorporated?

Comment

They did nothing with the pellet feed or the grease collection problem. At least as far as I could tell from the article. Maybe they fixed that on the new units being shipped?

Comment

This sounds like purely a software update.

Comment

If you check out the reviews on their own site, even the most recent, there are many one and two star ratings.

Comment

The posters in the comments section weren't too kind to Weber.

Comment

Thinking the next gen cookers will have the hardware updates. If they don't, going to be a long hard road for Weber.

Comment

I get the big push with pellets. They’re the sexy thing right now. Weber could have easily released a "Summit" WSM with a fan controller and a tagline of "Why use pellets when you could use real wood?" Or they could have stooped low and used a Traeger style campaign, "Is he cooking with rabbit food?"

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  "rabbit food" LMAO!

• Razor
                  Razor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mr. Bones about the same level as Traeger’s "Eww this food tastes like g-ass."

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I like the idea of a WSM at the Summit level. I think they were headed the entirely wrong direction with a pellet cooker even before all the gen 1 problems

Originally posted by Razor View Post
                ...Or they could have stooped low and used a Traeger style campaign, "Is he cooking with rabbit food?"
                Ha Ha ha!

Comment

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
                  This sounds like purely a software update.

It is/was. There was a major software update and a firmware update about a week apart.

The software is finally about where it should have been when the unit launched. You can now activate smokeboost mode from the app or change temperatures, or shut down the grill remotely if you want. They also improved the alarms and the notifications are more informative on their face when the pop up on your phone rather than just telling you to "tap here for more info." It was a nice improvement, but it's all stuff we should have had months ago. They're working harder on the interface with the cooking recipes and the app but I haven't really messed with those that much.

The firmware update did much to address the temperature swings during cooks and variations around the cook surface. It's still not perfect, but they updated the CPU for how it reacts to things like the lid opening and the temperature drop that comes along with it. It's working smarter, not harder now to keep the temperature even if that makes sense. This has been the part that has made me the most happy with the latest updates. The temperature doesn't swing nearly as much for me now. It's to the point that I don't feel like I need to babysit the Weber probes with my Thermoworks stuff anymore. Again, a great update but also something that should have been right from the start.

The firmware update also added "smokeboost" mode where it sits at a lower temp (160-190) in the early part of your cook to add some extra smoke flavor.

As far as hardware goes, it pretty much is what it's going to be at this point. They are sending the pellet ramp to anyone who wants one, and replacement augers/controllers/chutes to anyone that is still having problems. I had one cook with a couple of pellet feeding issues and the crazy temperature spikes that came with it, so I installed the ramp. It's much more shallow than I expected it to be, but I haven't had any problems since.

Made some Al Pastor tacos with a pineapple salsa and elote (or I guess esquites since I took it off the cob) this last weekend. Turned out amazing!

Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here