Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kevin Kolman from Weber on "The BBQ Central Show" talking about Smoke Fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kevin Kolman from Weber on "The BBQ Central Show" talking about Smoke Fire

Long show, but the Kevin interview starts at the 1:44:00 mark. Feel free to form your own opinions.

Shout out from Kevin to our own Max Good @1:50:00!!

I think I have the link queued up to the right time. Sorry if I screwed up and it starts from the beginning.

Last edited by BDCarp04; March 4, 2020, 09:13 AM. Reason: Embeded Video wouldn't start at the right time. Click link to watch

Worked perfectly and im listening now. Good interview so far. Thanks for the link.

Comment

Interesting. At the 1:54 mark, listen as Kevin makes a somewhat blanket statement that the negative comments early on were not from people who were actually cooking on the SF. So those on this forum who reported significant issues after using the SF are dismissed as "noise". That does not mean that there are plenty of folks who have had a good experience and are liking the SF, but it is disappointing that Weber feels the need to blow off critical posts in this way. Yes, I am sure there are trolls and others who just love to bash Weber, but Come On Man!

Comment

He seems like an apologist. He's attributing most or all of the problems to user error and/or bad assembly. Threw some significant shade on Baby Back Maniac. Doesn't really said like they are taking these issues that seriously.
        Last edited by Dewesq55; March 5, 2020, 05:37 PM.

Comment

• divisionbell77
          divisionbell77 commented
          Editing a comment
          The host was asking some very direct questions, ones that have been detailed out here, other forums, youtube, etc. When Kolman would basically dismiss them with some rather weightless reasons, the host never challenged any of his responses. It ended up sounding more like an infomercial. Shame, was really hoping for more.

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          divisionbell77 the "host" was Greg Rempe, our erstwhile PitCast host.

As the old software saying goes, "Those aren’t bugs, they are features."

Comment

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s funny!

• GolfGeezer
          GolfGeezer commented
          Editing a comment
          Corrollary: "What is the difference between a feature and a bug? A bug is something they'll fix."

This marketing guy makes me not want to get one.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
          Editing a comment
          Kinda feels similar to Rec-Tec refusing to do a pellet dump on future models and claiming it's because they cause leaks and will ruin augers. I'd respect them more if they would have just said the engineering would add to costs or whatever. Same goes for Weber, admit issues, champion the fact that you have a fix for some of the stuff and admit the fix for other stuff isn't ideal but works (drip pans). Then release a superior model while offering a discount or rebate to 1st gen owners.

• KarchyBBQ
          KarchyBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s exactly what I kept thinking

Its marketing. Communities like this place are few and far between. 99% of what he says has the chance of being picked up and used out of context. So its very understandable that he didnt come straight out and say we screwed this or that up. And quite honestly, while MAYBE they pushed some features a little beyond what they actually can do, i havent seen enough to discredit them.

I dont own a SF and ive never used one, so obviously this comes with a grain of salt. But i do think the more that comes out the better its sounding.

Comment

I think I bought a used car from Kevin once...

Seriously I would not want his job at this point in time. He is doing exactly what he is paid to do although I would have appreciated a bit more frankness with some of his responses. I would really like to know how the hopper issue escaped all those hours of testing when it would appear most everyone has the issue on their EX6.

It was good to hear from Weber however and I'm certain this will be a period they will get through and learn from. I'm equally confident they will take care of their customers as things get sorted out.

Comment

• Craigar
            Craigar commented
            Editing a comment
            Not to mention the "truck loads of pellets" they went through and no hopper issues?

A interesting listen- I think the date of the smoke fire will be clear after a month or two.

Comment

Look, we/you/I/they will never please everyone with a review. Folks will form their own opinions on: 1) others (differing) reviews and experiences, 2) their own personal experiences, and 3) other respectable reviewers' experiences. We stand by Max and his 'freekin' thorough' tests. I can't guarantee what other respectable reviewers do, such as Justin (Baby Back Maniac), or even the world-renowned Harry Soo, although I have a feeling they're thorough, but did they get a $1500 paycheck from [X company] to trash the Weber???? Most likely not of course [edit: I added the words "of course" to help show that I don't actually think that was the case at all], but who knows, money talks. But, I KNOW what Max does in his reviews. I KNOW Max will tell it like it is, after weeks of testing, not 1 or 3 cooks. Max "owns" the cooker and puts it through its paces before putting his name on the review.

Let's just see what our Max Good says about this cooker. If he hates it, let's hate it. If he finds 10 good things and 2 bad things, then we know the weak points and the strong points. If he find 10 bad things and 2 good things, well maybe it's promising but flawed. Max does this for a living, he's not just a cook who cooks on a lot of cookers, he reviews cookers for a living, he's ....wait for it...Good.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              I really don't know how else I can explain my intentions and my point here. I am not trying to smear anyone, simply saying a "for instance" with regard to how others might do their jobs. I respect the others mentioned but being completely objective I don't know them or their techniques like I do Max. You're of course free to accept my words or not, but I don't have the time to keep restating them.

• Murdy
              Murdy commented
              Editing a comment
              If you are "not trying to smear anyone," you are not doing a very good job.

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Murdy, OK, point taken. I missed the mark in my choice of wording and the point I was trying to make. I will take the high road and admit that. If I have offended you folks I do apologize for that. I do maintain that I meant no ill intent, was just trying to use an illustration.

Doing reviews are really difficult, speaking as one on both sides, a product developer and a reviewer for technology products for a newspaper. There's always ambiguity in interpreting an issue you find. Is it in all units? Did I do something wrong? Is it me or is it the product? Then there's the relationship with the company that provides the product, particularly a company I have a relationship with and is pressuring me with their PR department who floods me with press releases and samples. And I want to be on their list for future products, so how do I report the bad news? There are many ways to over or under emphasize the results, to say the same thing but have it come across differently. Ultimately the best reviews come from those that are experts, know how the product compares with its competitors and can be as objective as humanely possible and not be afraid to criticize when it's appropriate. But ultimately it's up to us to read many reviews and come to our own opinion.

I don't own a SM, but I've read pretty much every review, because I have a great interest in grills and own several and I think Weber makes great products. So I expect more from them.By now I think we know it cooks well and has software and feed issues that are being corrected. I still want to know if there are any major safety issues, and that's where we need some experts to tell us based on their experience and knowledge of competitive products.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              You get it!

When new car models have problems, it isn’t every single one that has that problem.

When the Chevy Trailblazer came out, some of them had a wiring harness issue: the harness would get crimped inside the firewall, leading to a total electrical system short and possible fire. It was a real headache, if you had an affected unit it necessitated a complete removal of everything under the hood. I used to have a photo of one getting worked on, but that is long gone.

It isn’t that every single one will have a grease fire, it’s what are the odds of the one you’re getting having a grease fire?

And, Trailblazers got generally good reviews. The reality is, you either got a good one that lasted forever, or you got a bad one that was a constant headache. But both were Trailblazers.

With that, I’m done with this.

Comment

Solution...just gonna say it, Charcoal!

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes. God almighty, yes.

• Andrrr
                Andrrr commented
                Editing a comment
                Huskee LOL!

Lots of people getting their feelings hurt and or slinging mud one direction or the other over a pit....me personally, I don't own one, don't want one (no matter how good or bad it is), and think it is foolish and very juvenile to get this political over an inanimate object. On another note any of you who put beans in chili (cooked on a smoke fire or any other cooker) are heathens, uneducated and biased. If you say otherwise I will do what everyone theses days does when they get triggered, and launch a massive facebook campaign to ruin your cyber life....wait that means I would have to set a facebook account up...screw that, I have bourbon to drink, and beef ribs to smoke.

Comment

• tbob4
                tbob4 commented
                Editing a comment
                You have my address!!! We'll fight, then eat some brisket, ribs, chicken and tri tip and pretend the beans never happened.... well for the first two hours. The beans will remind us they were in the chili after a couple of beers.

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                Andrrr now THERE'S something to loose your cyber shit over! tbob4 put beans in my chili, and a barrel will be smoking, and it won't be a a PBC... Jkjk...or am I?

• JimLinebarger
                JimLinebarger commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm a big confused. Aren't beans a side dish?

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
              Let's just see what our Max Good says about this cooker. If he hates it, let's hate it. If he finds 10 good things and 2 bad things, then we know the weak points and the strong points. If he find 10 bad things and 2 good things, well maybe it's promising but flawed. Max does this for a living, he's not just a cook who cooks on a lot of cookers, he reviews cookers for a living, he's ....wait for it...Good.
              Fair enough. But what are we supposed to think when we run across a platinum or gold medal cooker and the "Review Method" reads, "Looked Closely At It We have seen this product up close and we have also gathered info from the manufacturer, owners, and other reliable sources." ? Before I even signed up for The Pit, I perused the reviews religiously because I enjoy reading cooker and gear reviews. So every once in awhile I would run across one of these descriptions and wonder how you could bestow such an award for a product without actually having any hands on use. I understand that it is virtually impossible to thoroughly test each and every product due to availability, cost, and time. I always look at any review from anyone with a grain of salt. Some people's grain of salt is larger than others. Over the years I have come to respect Max Good 's reviews as I have become more educated on his process and procedures and the grain of salt I use has dwindled to a spec over time. However, when I run across one of the aforementioned disclaimers my salt shaker gets a little more use.

Comment

• Max Good
                Max Good commented
                Editing a comment
                I didn't approach those reviews lightly. I hope my evaluations, based on interviews, touring retail stores, attending conferences and competitions, and research to glean meaningful information have merit. Are there any you disagree with?

• rickgregory
                rickgregory commented
                Editing a comment
                Max - I think the conundrum is that if AR says "Look, Max tests the hell out of things like the SmokeFire before recommending" you guys undercut that a little by giving high award recommendations to something that you haven't tested at all. A platinum medal is a platinum medal... but A was tested by you a ton, B not at all. You're open about this so... eh. But I can see an argument for, say, not awarding medals to things you've not cooked on and instead having an alternate way of recommending.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
                Editing a comment
                I always just kept the hands on gold medal stuff mentally separate from the hands off gold medal stuff. One IS good, one is probably/likely good?

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here