Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harry Soo New Update on Smoke Fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harry Soo New Update on Smoke Fire

Very long but worth the watch

I let that video play while I was working this afternoon. All in all I felt like he did a good real-world test, and for whatever reason, avoided the smoker exploding in a massive grease fire. I feel that if he were to crank it up to 600F, it would catch on fire, based on the amount of grease spilling over in the grease catch pan. He got a LOT of meat cooked in 12 hours, and really had no issues. I just wish he had not added pellets at 6 hours, as I wanted to see if the auger ran empty before it pulled from the right side of the hopper.

Comment

It seems like the SF is capable of smoking a ton of meat and not catch on fire. All that grease was overflowing the collection bin. Food looked great. Weber needs to address the feed issue but I think it could be a decent cooker once that is addressed. Though I don't want a super high maintenance grill to prevent grease fires.

Comment

I like his videos a lot and i know this might be controversial but i have gotten the feeling he is toeing the corporate line, as it were. The more that comes out about the SF the more comfortable i am with it and were i in the market for a pellet pooper, it would be up there. I will state that i obviously have no idea true or not, just the feeling i have personally gotten from his videos.

Comment

I thought that was a great video and share. I trust Max, I trust Harry, I trust Baby Back Maniac and I trust our members who have had good and bad experiences. I’m not familiar with any of the other people on the internet.

One of my cabinet smokers is really unique. Live fire hits a heavy duty removable water pan but the smoke is diverted up and around the water pan through a panel in the back. The heat/smoke from the fire hits a very heavy diverter with big holes where the water vapor and smoke mix. I have a lever that allows me to choke of flames in the event of too much grease getting onto the diverter plate. Twice when cooking large quantities of butts I have had the live fire jump up onto the plate and create a pretty big flare up when I opened the cabinet door. As Harry mentioned - they were grease flare ups, much bigger that with the Weber, but they weren’t necessarily grease fires. I moved to using pans when doing 3 butts or more on the unit and removing them mid- cook, alleviating need to activate the safety mechanism. I also make sure my diverter plate is burned down or cleaned after every use.

Reading Smoke Fire Weber reviews, I really wasn’t as concerned with the grease "fires" or "flare-ups" as much as I was in the pellet feed, the requisite that Weber only sized pellets be used and the abundance of visible ash.

I don’t own a pellet cooker but may, some day. Wife allowing. I appreciate all legitimate reviews. I might be naive, but I can’t recall a BBQ causing this much controversy. I think it has mostly to do with brand loyalty among customers who feel let downI think if Weber believes their customers, makes good on returns for legitimate complaints and makes mods based on common complaints this blip on their reputation could be a win for them. This was all typed on a phone with edits so if parts don’t make sense I should have waited to get home to use the computer.

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            Have had 3 grease fires in my cabinet smokers over the years. All 3 due to neglect.

Originally posted by tbob4 View Post
          I thought that was a great video and share. I trust Max, I trust Harry, I trust Baby Back Maniac and I trust our members who have had good and bad experiences. I’m not familiar with any of the other people on the internet.
          I second this opinion. Couldn't have said it better.

I liked the video and couldn't believe how much grease he had in the drawer at the end. I wish he would have shown a clean up of the pit and what the inside bottom looked like after all of the ash and grease ran through it.

Comment

"I trust Harry, I trust Baby Back Maniac and I trust our members who have had good and bad experiences. I’m not familiar with any of the other people on the internet."

Agreed. After watching that video and reading Max's posts I think there has been somewhat of a rush to judgement. There are definitely flaws and issues but it seems like the SF works and can make great food. I hope these issues can be corrected in subsequent model updates. It is crazy how much controversy this grill has created. I keep thinking this will make a great case study in Business Schools. Fascinating to watch the product release and how Social Media has influenced buyers as well as what Weber's response will be.

P.S. - I in no way doubt the negative experiences of folks who posted their issues. I am merely watching from the cheap seats as I figure out which pellet cooker I will buy.
            Last edited by Old Glory; March 4, 2020, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here