Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last SmokeFire post and moving on!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last SmokeFire post and moving on!

Just to close the loop, the online vendor I purchased my SmokeFire from finally gave me a full refund for the grill today. Weber still has not returned my several calls and emails other than to say they do not want my unit back. So, I’ve got a SmokeFire in the backyard that won’t work but it was free! I think I’m going to weld a firebox onto it and make it a stick burner...

See y’all in the WSM forum!

For a free unit, I'd start playing with modifications in the next month or so when the community or aftermarket starts cranking them out

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, you'll probably be able to fix it with modifications.

A double happy ending to your saga.

Comment

Disappointed that Weber is not exhibiting stellar customer service. Maybe it's a myth.

Love my 18 & 22 WSM's but I do have an itch for a WSCG.

Comment

Dang, I wish I would have used that online vendor, free makes a lot of hassles more tolerable. Glad somebody took care of things for you!

Comment

There's some luck, grill of your dreams though not dreamy right now, and for free.
          Your idea of modifying it is the way to go.
          Personally I'd put it in the corner under a cover of some kind and wait for other owners to come up with fixes that are simple enough for anyone to do, and you know they're coming once others start having the same problem you have had.
          There's some pretty smart and innovative people on here that will figure this out.

Comment

• MBMorgan
            MBMorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep +1

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Yea I'd mod the heck out of it, figure out how to better deal with grease, fix the hopper problem then sell the mods back to Weber for $$$

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            Troutman, actually I was going to suggest shipping it down to you.
            With your knack for improving things it would be good as gold in a few weeks.
            Don't want to over step my boundry's here though.

Originally posted by Jordan S View Post
          Just to close the loop, the online vendor I purchased my SmokeFire from finally gave me a full refund for the grill today. Weber still has not returned my several calls and emails other than to say they do not want my unit back. So, I’ve got a SmokeFire in the backyard that won’t work but it was free! I think I’m going to weld a firebox onto it and make it a stick burner...

See y’all in the WSM forum!
          Look for fixes for some of this stuff, like drip pans when low and slow. There is a youtuber that sprayed some food grade silicon spray in the hopper and has not had the bridge issue. Note he does not use weber pellets though(I really wonder how much those longer length weber pellets are contributing to that issue).

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
            ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
            Editing a comment
            I haven't checked yet, but plan on seeing if my Lowes carries them. If so I plan on testing.

Don't mean to prolong the agony, but I was trolling through YouTube last night and good old Harry Soo and one of his minions were cooking a full packer brisket and a pork butt both on the new Weber pellet at the same time. I was waiting for their grease fire comments because they were cooking at 300* and the fat must have been dripping all over the place. Funny but they didn't say a word about that.

They did comment on the hopper, they almost had a flair out due to the pellets bridging. He acted like it was no big deal (?). He also commented on the ash which was flying all over the place, it was literally coating the top of the hopper and the main cover. Regardless of what Max has to say, I think I've heard enough legit feedback from several sources I trust to say.....Weber....we got a problem!!

Comment

Personally, I'd give Weber a couple of months to come up with fixes before modding it.

Comment

• Goldenbear
              Goldenbear commented
              Editing a comment
              In the absence of revised promotional material they’ll somehow have to sell, it will take a complete redesign.

Sorry it didn't work out for you and I am glad to hear that you will be getting a refund. I love my EX4 and have seen lots of other posts from very happy owners on YouTube, such as Trendkill bbq, www.weberpelletgrills.com, and many others around the web. In fact, I think there are many more positive reviews than negative ones at this point. For some reason the postmaster forums here seem to have reacted rather quickly and negatively. Every grill has its personality and you just need to work with it. Grease fires are easily avoided by just putting an aluminum pan under the meat on the flavorizer bars. It looks like a little Silicone spray may help with the pellet hopper issue. I am very glad that I am keeping mine, but that is just my opinion. I would recommend this to others.

Comment

• glitchy
              glitchy commented
              Editing a comment
              A few thoughts here. First, the SmokeFire cooks awesome at all temps. There are probably a lot of people excited about how well it grills and haven’t even tried low and slow yet, nor run enough pellets through to think about cleaning it yet. The pellet issues don’t seem to present as much at grilling temps either. I think this is for a couple reasons, one they’re being sucked in faster and two being it’s natural inclination to check it before you fire it up and too tempting to play with them.

• glitchy
              glitchy commented
              Editing a comment
              If drip pans and spraying the hopper don’t bother you, enjoy the awesome food it cooks and post tons of pictures to make those that returned it regret not being patient enough to see how it all falls out.

I dont have a Smoke Fire and have not considered purchasing one. However, I love to read new grill reviews and all of the information on this forum about this new product release has been fantastic. I am sorry that everyone has had to deal with this. It all does give me pause about Weber and question if they are the same company that made them famous but I guess time will tell.

Comment

Ship it to me, I'll take it.

Comment

The firmware will get updated and fix several issues, cook in pans to avoid the grease problems and a mod is definetly coming that will fix the pellet issue. You end up with what will ne a pretty good cooker for free ....score....congrats

Comment

• Jordan S
                  Jordan S commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I believe they've "blacklisted" my serial number since the grill was refunded, so my warranty and all other support for this particular grill is null and void at this point. Not complaining - given the refund, I think that's fair.

Maybe the firmware update would squeak through the radar, but no upgraded or improved parts, etc. I guess what I'm saying is I'm not expecting any Weber fixes to come my way.

• Smokerstoker
                  Smokerstoker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Maybe you can find the updates and load them yourself?

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                  ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I doubt they blacklist a model for OTA updates. It's not worth the IT guys paycheck to do so.

Honestly, I would use it. You got a refund for the right reason. It wasn’t what was advertised. However, you can smoke with drip pans, clean the mess. You can grill at other times. I was a BBQ hoarder before my wife put her foot down. You are at the age when BBQ hoarding was my hobby. $100 COS for two years - Firebox rusts out - get the new one but NEVER throw out the old one because large groups might dictate the need for it. I even made a flower planter out of one because I couldn’t part with it. You never know, your persistence may pay off and you might be able to swap it out through Weber when fixes are made.

Comment

Said a fond farewell to the EX6 today. Replacement cooker arrived before Weber was picked up, so I’m pleased as punch.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• glitchy
                    glitchy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It's been like 45 mins since you posted this, where's the pics of dinner cooking on that new beauty?

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here