Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preheating issues, anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preheating issues, anyone?

New problem this evening. I set my SmokeFire to preheat to 600° but it won’t heat over 495°. It was stuck there for about 20 mins and then started dropping. It’s at 475° now and still dropping. The outside temp is 50° and the fan’s running like a hungry cheetah. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Anyone else having this issue?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	FF1AD580-918C-4AFF-9E4B-250BE47A8CC5.jpeg
Views:	235
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	804849

Did you notice any smoke coming from the hopper?

Comment

Actually, after I finally shut it down, I kept an eye on it during the "shut down" process and I saw smoke coming out of the pellet hopper. That seems...dangerous to me.

Comment

You probably had a case of burn back. That’s when pellets in the auger tube get so hot that they ignite and begin to burn back toward the hopper. The temperature drop is due to the auger delivering already burnt pellets into the burn pot where, as a result, there is less and less fuel to support adequate combustion.

If you google "pellet grill burn back", you’ll get hits on lots of detailed explanations.

Comment

Any idea how I can fix that?

Comment

While "burn back" is a pellet pooper possibility, with the chute configuration of the SmokeFire that should be close to impossible baring a normal op failure. One possibility is pellet type. Hardwood or largely hardwood mix pellets will tend to burn hotter. For instance, pellets legitimately made up of, say oak or hickory will burn hotter than say single species cherry or apple, or any fruitwood. Alternatley, does the controller of the SmokeFire allow adjustments of the feed rate of the auger. It could be that the burn pot is not getting enough fuel to keep up with the set temp specified. Likewise, there may be some other hinderance to the feed rate such as the suspected "gopher hole" effect some early adopters of the SF have experienced where a void in the feed stream developes under the surface of the pellet bin supply.
            Last edited by Uncle Bob; February 19, 2020, 07:52 PM.

Comment

I had this problem trying to reverse sear steaks Friday night. I figured out in my case it couldn’t keep up with the wind blowing straight into the vents. It was 20 degrees with 15-20 mph winds blowing straight into its vents. Sort of another design flaw expecting a little fire pot to overcome this situation. I didn’t think about it beforehand as the grill on the side of patio always gets positioned that way out of habit. I had it set to 525 and it would pas 440, fan was going full bore.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here