Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Letter to Weber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letter to Weber

I emailed the following to Weber:

Hi
    I am on the list to have a Weber Smoke Fire EX6 delivered soon. However I am very concerned about taking receipt of this unit based on recent reviews by owners of this unit. I have read reviews from the Amazing Rib web site (which I am a member) as well as several video reviews on You tube. The reviews address a handful of flaws and/or issues of malfunctions. At this point I am perplexed as what I should do. The $1200 I spent on this unit is a lot of money I had to come up with and I surely don’t need a unit at this price not to operate as it should. I have purposely postponed buying other units such as Green Mountain, Trager and others for fear of mechanical malfunctions and lesser quality builds. I was very close to buying a Rec Tec until Weber announced that they were going to be producing a pellet smoker. I purchased this Weber smoker because I own two other Weber products that perform flawlessly and felt thats what I would be receiving with this Smoke Fire. I hope that my concerns and fears can be answered satisfactory.

Thank You

Don’t worry, be happy! 🕶

Comment

Originally posted by JOE E View Post
      I emailed the following to Weber:

Hi
      I am on the list to have a Weber Smoke Fire EX6 delivered soon. However I am very concerned about taking receipt of this unit based on recent reviews by owners of this unit. I have read reviews from the Amazing Rib web site (which I am a member) as well as several video reviews on You tube. The reviews address a handful of flaws and/or issues of malfunctions. At this point I am perplexed as what I should do. The $1200 I spent on this unit is a lot of money I had to come up with and I surely don’t need a unit at this price not to operate as it should. I have purposely postponed buying other units such as Green Mountain, Trager and others for fear of mechanical malfunctions and lesser quality builds. I was very close to buying a Rec Tec until Weber announced that they were going to be producing a pellet smoker. I purchased this Weber smoker because I own two other Weber products that perform flawlessly and felt thats what I would be receiving with this Smoke Fire. I hope that my concerns and fears can be answered satisfactory.

Thank You
      This might as well of been written by me. I own two Webers, was going to buy a Rec-Tec, then this was announced and I held off. Only difference is I didn't pre-order. I'm in NE Ohio and live in the snow belt, so decided to wait for spring and see how the Weber was working out.

FYI, I have a GMG and looking to replace it as it has massive temp swings and not reliable. My friend has the same issues, and others have also reported it on here. My friend replaced his with a Rec-Tec, and it is a massive jump in materials and construction. This is why I concentrated on this new Weber and the Rec-Tec.

Comment

I've no skin in this game but if it were me, I'd cancel the order. You can re-order but I see no reason to buy at this point with the issues that are out there and without knowing if it's a simple thing to update or not.

Comment

That is a perplexing. If I was in the market for a pellet I would definitely be in your position. It would have taken a lot of arguing with my wife to allow me to get it and cancelling the order would lead to "I told you so's" and I'm not sure I would get the permission to transfer the funds to another unit. Therefore, I can't help but can really feel for you.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
            ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
            Editing a comment
            Wives must communicate on a secret anti-bbq forum or maybe it's an anti-husbandpurchases forum Because this is exactly how the scenario would play out in my house.

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            ItsAllGoneToTheDogs ...And here all along I thought it was my hubby on an "Eye-rolling at Wife's BBQ Purchases" forum that was the problem.

Kathryn

If I was in the same position honestly I'd cancel the order and wait until it has more "real consumer time" under it's belt. Then, once they get the glitches fixed and some time has passed I'd pull the trigger. I don't need the extra frustration.

Comment

I agree with the others. If you can cancel, then do so. Just wait for generation 2, it's not worth the hassle.

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
              Sweaty Paul commented
              Editing a comment
              👆👆👆

The pioneers take the arrows...………..

Comment

• JOE E
              JOE E commented
              Editing a comment
              II thought about it but they must know their problems as they have about 10-12 reviews on their web site citing each respondents problem(s).

It may have helped if you list said problems. ?

Comment

• BBQPhil
              BBQPhil commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm sure they know.

For once I am glad my wife put her foot down and said no way,Jose, even though I am not sure who Jose is (I don't want to know, ignorance is bliss. And I am a blissful guy). My real want is a Grilla, but I saw Weber and got excited. Oh well...

Comment

• Dan Deter
              Dan Deter commented
              Editing a comment
              Huskee good to know. I only have to deal with freezing occasionally down here in NC, but I already liked the idea of the pellet dump due to the extreme humidity we often have.

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              FireMan may be fibbing. I know Jose and went to high school with him I asked him if he knows Fireman. He does not. Hmmmmmm. Fireman's fake Jose may try to talk you into the Weber pellet grill. My Jose said "I trust klflower's wife. While I have never met her, I can tell she is a woman of wisdom and would never lead him astray. Grilla sounds good to me."

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              tbob4, are you sure Jose never met her? While I agree that she is a woman of great wisdom, I'll never mention it to her. Come to think of it, I don't have to mention it, she lets me know on a regular basis. As far as FireMan's Jose, I don't think he gives a rip.

Well I listened to you and cancelled my EX6. I was very surprised that I was never asked why I wanted to cancel it..But I'm relieved.

Comment

• rickgregory
              rickgregory commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, a purchase like this should bring enjoyment and fun, not stress and worry.

My EX6 is supposed to be delivered Friday according to Weber when I called them earlier today, no calls from delivery company yet. I sent an email to Weber asking if I can refuse delivery and get a refund based on the plethora of problems others are having. No response yet, I'll post their answer when I receive one.

Comment

• JOE E
              JOE E commented
              Editing a comment
              I called and they cancelled it. I was scheduled to be delivered this week

Originally posted by JOE E View Post
            Well I listened to you and cancelled my EX6. I was very surprised that I was never asked why I wanted to cancel it..But I'm relieved.
            I'm not surprised they didn't ask the "why". From a marketing perspective, at this point in the products life cycle, they don't have to care about your reasons. And I don't say this as a criticism of Weber, just a market driven observation. They have a long relationship with the market, a well established brand, a strong following of users, and have a new toy to offer. They've likely gotten way more orders than they can fill in a timely manner and are juggling their supply chain as best they can. You probably did them a favor because of the long line of expectant purchasers behind you. At least they didn't get arrogant with you. Though I'm not likely to purchase one of these from them, I'm sure they will fix what can be fixed. Face it, some things are "unsatisfactory" because the purchaser has unrealistic expectations, no matter the source. "Phantom" issues will remain unresolved and will fade as they nearly always do. At some point in the future, when the learning curve for Weber is traversed, it will be as good or better than some of the other viable options on the market.
            Last edited by Uncle Bob; February 17, 2020, 06:22 PM.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
              ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
              Editing a comment
              I suspect the pellet void issue could be solved with some creative 3-d printed thing-a-ma-bob but the ash/grease/fire thing is gonna require something a little more creative and non-flammable and would affect the airflow/heat. That ones gonna need some design tweaking I think. We'll see what Max finds in the coming weeks though

Called and after being on hold for 25 minutes cancelled my order, no questions asked. They will provide a label to ship back the cover when it arrives. She didn't mention the pellets.

So disappointed. I'm a 40+ years Weber guy. Back to the pit boss for now.

Comment

I love Weber. That being said there is absolutely no excuse for grease fires and pellet hoppers that fail to properly funnel pellets into the fire box. It’s a major safety issue and it’s certainly a major failure for one of the largest and most reputed grill manufacturers in the world. The company needs to get in front of this fast and make it right.

Comment

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                This coming from someone whose grills are sideways. 🕶

• Razor
                Razor commented
                Editing a comment
                FireMan upside down and I’d be impressed. 😂

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here