Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And Here It Is...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And Here It Is...

Weber has a new pellet smoker and it is alone among pellet cookers in that it can properly sear steak across the entire cooking area. Read our review of this groundbreaking design.

I read this article today and I am impressed with this design so much that I would consider selling my Traeger and buying one of these. It will be interesting to see what the competition does as I think this design could be a game changer.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      I was thinking the same with my pellet grill. But on the cautious side I decided to wait for at lest a year for new product problems and bugs to be worked out.
      Glad I did. The grease management system is in the same chamber as the fire box. Think of grease fires.

Based on that initial write-up it might be the first pellet grill I would consider buying. Seems like it addresses a lot of the issues that have held me back from buying a pellet grill. Can't wait to see the full review.

Comment

• Pequod
      Pequod commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here. Never seriously considered a pellet until this one.

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      +2

I'm holding back until the smoke clears (no pun intended). They are all over Instagram, they have a pre-sale going on and some sort of special for Cyber Monday.

Comment

Very interesting. As a replacement for the gas grill, maybe.

Would be interested for the full review to consider pellet burn rate while searing.

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee and Potkettleblack ,
        IMO a gasser is tough to replace, for its convenience, ease of cleaning, and performance (assuming it's a Weber, but then I'm prejudiced in that direction). I've never been much interested in a pellet cooker because I'm not interested in mild smoke application. If I want smoke, I use one of the smoker cookers I already have. And if I don't want smoke, I use the gasser. That said, I'm open to temptation with any new BBQ toy, big or small.

Kathryn

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        fzxdoc That's exactly how I felt for years. After playing with a pellet I realized everything I love about a gasser is there, but more. Except it needs electricity. It's always fun playing with new toys that give us food.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Good to know, Huskee , because I must admit to being tempted to get a pellet pooper just for the pure fun of learning something new. I don't want to have to fiddle with an A-Maze-N tube to get the smoke profile up, though. It will be nice to hear what Max has to say about the new Weber once he's had a chance to do some cooks on it.

Kathryn
        Last edited by fzxdoc; November 20, 2019, 07:00 AM.

Just read it...and I gotta say...for the first time EVER I could potentially consider a pellet cooker.
      My father has one, and I’ve used it several times...and it’s mostly "meh" IMO. While the convenience is there, the flavour is somewhat lacking. I purchased an A-Maze-N tube specifically for his to bring up the much needed smoke profile. It’s probably because of the efficiency of pellet cookers. They might be too efficient for their own good.

Plus, the Weber looks like it solved one of the drawbacks to other pellet cookers... There’s NO WAY anything is getting "grilled" on my father’s. Cooked yes, but forget true grilling & searing.

All that remains now is to see how well it handles other types of cooking. Who knows, I might need to add one to my collection.
      Never say never. LOL

Comment

Might just have to add that to my wish list. Looks like a great unit.

Comment

I'm waiting for the full review of the production units and the smoking capability, then see if it replaces the Silverback on my wishlist or not.

Comment

I have my fingers crossed, both my GMG and my gasser are getting up there in age. I'll wait for the full review in the new year but maybe able to replace both with just the one unit. If as good as they say definitely a game changer. Will look good beside the Weber charcoal.

Comment

In case you haven't seen the Weber site info, they've got more info and a video as well.

Discover authentic wood fired taste with Weber's Wood Pellet Grill. Perfectly sear, smoke, and everything in between. Shop pellet grills at Weber.

Comment

While the entry price point is a little steep compared to some alternatives (Grilla for example), it looks to me like they've nailed the #1 problem of pellet cookers. Also looks like they did a smart job of leveraging a lot of the design expertise and parts that go into the Genesis and Spirit lines, when it comes to stuff like grease collection and the flavorizer bars, which look identical to the ones on the current gas grills.

I'm not rushing out to get rid of my Performer or my 4 burner Genesis II, as I still see a place for gas and for charcoal. I am more likely to get a Weber Smokey Mountain than the new SmokeFire, but I am intrigued for sure, and think the SmokeFire 36 would be the one I would look hard at, as it seems comparably sized to units like the Rectec RT700, as far as the size of the main cooking grate goes.

Comment

• scottdware
                  scottdware commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You echoed my thoughts exactly!

Hmmmm.... Very Interesting.

Comment

My BIL has had a Traeger for a few years now, and has used it maybe 10 times, probably less. He just doesn't like the way it cooks.

After reading that article, I am really excited about the possibilities of the SmokeFire. That picture of searing steaks...... How can you not get jazzed about that?

Comment

As always, great write up/video review Max Good . Will wait and see what the production units look like in 2020. Having owned a traeger previously, lots to like about a pellet cooker, but searing was definitely a drawback for me.

Comment

Yep, released along with all Weber's promotionals today. Interesting timing to say the least. Makes me wonder about the review.

Comment

• pkadare
                        pkadare commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Completely disagree. I have no doubt that every review done by Max Good and the rest of the AR crew is fair, balanced, and accurate and is in no way influenced by the OEM of what they are testing.

• Nate
                        Nate commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Alphonse you should read Max Good 's post in this thread (#20) if you haven't yet. When would you have proposed that AR released their review of the product?
                        The fact that AR has early access is a good thing... And if I'm Weber and I am that confident in my product then why wouldn't I want a review to drop at the same time... especially this close to holiday shopping season. That review would have launched no matter the rating.

• pkadare
                        pkadare commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Alphonse - "Unfortunately it enrolled Amazing Ribs in Weber's marketing plan." Yeah, no it didn't, and even if you believe it did, it doesn't make the review from Max Good any less accurate.
                        Last edited by pkadare; November 21, 2019, 06:48 AM.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here