Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef rib cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef rib cook

Cooked beef short ribs today. Some succes and some failure.

1. Smoke ring and flavor success. I used the smokeboost for 1.5 hrs and had a smoketube with hickory chips.
    2. I cooked them for around 5.5 hrs to around 205. It was probe tender, sort of, not quite like butter. I didn’t want to over cook them. I did wrap them with foil about 4 hrs into the cook and basted them with the melted fat that I had trimmed off.
    3. Flavor was on point And they were moist. I used the 1836 Sucklebusters rub with a little added salt And pepper.
    4. Somewhat of a fail. It was not as tender as I had envisioned It would be and a slight bit on the chewy side.

This is my second attempt at beef ribs using different cookers. Either I’m not much of a fan, or still have a lot of work to do. I love brisket, but not sure about the ribs as of yet.
    By the way, they were choice ribs which appeared to have good marbling throughout.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome. I’m hear to learn and just put out better food. I’m really happy to get the amount of smoke flavor that I wanted with the Smokefire. Now I know it’s possible.
    Attached Files

How hot did you run 'em?

Comment

• Mark-B
      Mark-B commented
      Editing a comment
      225 for 1.5 hrs then raised it to 275.

Looking at the bark I would have left them unwrapped a bit longer. And then once at 203-205 in the thickest part, I would have checked for tenderness, and if things weren't quite there, then just hold them for a couple hours like you would a brisket.

Comment

• Mark-B
      Mark-B commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, for sure next time won’t wrap them. I did rest them in my cooler for an hour.

I’m going to try them one more time. Then it’s yes, I like beef ribs, or no. The rack costs $40, so it’s not cheap either. So few restaurants offer them around town that I’ve only had them a couple places and they were underwhelming. Next rack, I think I’m going with Costco. This was was from Fareway, known around these parts as a good grocery meat shop.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Mark-B and by not not wrapping it extends the cook and eeks out more tenderness

• grillinglousiana
      grillinglousiana commented
      Editing a comment
      the last couple of times i have cooked the beef ribs like this
      trim off all the fat...save it
      coat it in lousiana hot sauce,kosher salt,black pepper
      let set overnite in fridge
      put the ribs in the drip pan,with the trimed fat and apple juice
      cook at 225 till internal 160
      remove from pan/wrap in foil with a cup of coffee
      cook till 202/210 max
      probe/always been super tenderfor me
      put in cooler for at least 1 more hour,3 best..with towel on top
      cut apart and enjoy
      i cook 4 racks at a time

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here