Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insulation blankets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insulation blankets

I was thinking of adding a insulation blanket to my Traeger even though I don’t live in a cold weather area. My thinking is it will hold temps even better, speed up coming up to temp times, and slow down on pellet consumption even more. Has anyone tried this? Would it be worth the expense?

I use cheap Harbor Freight welding blankets over my cookers just for these reasons. They also provide wind protection on my gasser when the gusts off the ocean keeps blowing away the heat.

Comment

I have a Recteq RT 700 and use the Recteq sewn to fit blanket on it in cold temps. And up here in WI it gets COLD. It does all the things you described. Allows me to cook year round with the same grill performance as in summer temps. They DO spec it to be used in outdoor temps under 50 degrees and grill temps no higher than 350 degrees.

Comment

I use to use a Harbor freight welding blanket until I noticed my black cooker covered in fiberglass hairs shimmering in the sunlight. No thanks, I don't want fiberglass in my food. I heard a wool blanket would work.

Comment

• N227GB
          N227GB commented
          Editing a comment
          Perhaps a blanket from an AirGas store is needed.

(Posted from my phone)

I use a Harbor Freight welding blanket as well. I haven't had the issue the Powersmoke has experienced and would stop using it like he did if I saw them. But overall very happy with using the blanket. My 13yo Traeger's lid isn't quite square anymore and the blanket works well on helping retain heat. Just remember that the handle will get really hot under the blanket. Don't grab it with your bare hand...we've found that out the hard way...a lot. Pretty flat learning curve around here.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input. I think I’ll buy a blanket now

Comment

I bought a BBQ Butler brand from Amazon. Fits really well and have had no problems. I live in upstate NY where it is cold in the winter. I can't be sure it saves pellets, but I assume it would

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here