Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Traeger Temps Way Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traeger Temps Way Off

Well the set temp and the temp shown as the actual on the display match pretty well.

I had a suspicion it was running a bit cool though. So I set up my Thermodot with the oven probe + clip inside the Traeger (Silverton 630).

Although the set and shown "actual" on the Traeger display agree, the Thermodot says the actual is around 25F less that the Traeger says it is.

I called Traeger and they said that is normal.

Does it not matter that much ? I am just surprised that is acceptable. I don't know why I suspected it was running low, but the cook must have just seemed off ?

PS I tend to believe the Thermoworks Dot.

In the pic, Dot is below the Traeger display. Traeger display shows what it thinks is "actual" in upper left, the set temp smaller to the right of that. Meat probe temp is below those. That probe was off around 8-10F but I calibrated it a month ago. Traeger tell me that the grill temps cannot be calibrated, unfortunately.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by zzdocxx; September 12, 2020, 05:04 PM.

Here's the thing, let's say I wanted to slow cook it at 225F, which is actually where I started it. If the temp was for example actually 193F, wouldn't that quite low to cook my pork butt and get it finished in a timely fashion ?

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Well it may never be done to 203F if cooking at 193F, But knowing the difference, may I suggest turn your temp up and monitor it at grid level.

• zzdocxx
      zzdocxx commented
      Editing a comment
      My Dot was set up on the grill with the metal clip thing. Just as you've suggested, I upped the set temp to get near to what I wanted.
      So thanks, yes.
      Last edited by zzdocxx; September 12, 2020, 09:18 PM.

The temp varies quite a bit in my pellet. It is one of the longer/wider ones so it is not uncommon to set it at 195 in order to get a 225-230 temp near the chimney, and a digital shows 195 where the cooker's probe is located. I think when it is pretty cold out (30-F or lower) temps are more consistent across the board (we have 10 months of summer here). But I definitely use digital thermometers for actual grate temp on every cook.

Comment

• zzdocxx
      zzdocxx commented
      Editing a comment
      Why do they even bother having their own temp thing on there? OK it is ballpark, sort of.
      I wish they could come up with an upgrade that has more utility.

• Cheef
      Cheef commented
      Editing a comment
      This drove me crazy the first time I monitored the Memphis Pro. It would be 25+ to 25- from the set temp/readout temp on the unit. Found out through a lot of research that this is normal for a pellet grill but the average temp should be close to set temp, and shouldn't effect the final outcome. I got to playing with HHT and LHT settings on the Fast Eddy PG500 and have it dialed in to +5 to -5 from the set temp/temp shown on the display. HHT and LHT really makes a difference on the PG500.

Where is the Traeger probe? Is it at the same level as your Dot probe? If the Traeger probe is higher than the Dot probe, I would expect it to read higher. I don't think it's unusual for the factory probe to be higher above the grate than most would like, and that can cause the temp differential.
    I don't trust factory probes and always use a Thermoworks probe. (Of course, my Kettle doesn't have a factory probe... )

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      My experience comes form my Kettle. The dome thermo averages about 50° higher than a grate level probe.

• zzdocxx
      zzdocxx commented
      Editing a comment
      My Traeger Silverton 620, does have a smaller second, higher up rack.
      I'm thinking I should:
      a. test the temp up there
      b. find out where the built-in thermo is
      c. think about a multi-probe thermo unit

With these Traegers, most of the heat is indirect, but the drip pan does radiate quite a bit, esp. over the fire pot, and is even more hot along the edges where there is a ~1/4" gap. So I flip my meat a time or 3, or the down side gets way more done.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Try placing yourprobe next to the Traeger probe, (once you find it... ), and compare. That's just for curiosity - unless it's grate level, it's only an approximation anyway.

I believe that. That is why we need to know our grills. I have a Cabela's pellet grill. I did a temp test. The test shows the set temp and actual temp stabilize to the same, I found the ambient temp to be higher, ~20%. Set 180' = 216', 300' = 355'. etc.
    My pellet grill is made by the same company that manufactures PitBoss. Also found about a 10' difference between the left and right side of the grill. The ambient temp is about the same for both the tip and bottom grill. The bottom grill is closer to radiant heat.

With this knowledge it is easier to cook great products.

Comment

• zzdocxx
      zzdocxx commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks and I wonder if on a different day mine wouldn't be off in the other direction.
      I think I may continue using the Dot when I grill.

It seems like I have to calibrate my meat probe before every cook on my Traeger Timberline 850. So I don't use it. I use my Smoke. Haven't done the zone testing yet. It is on my todo list.

Comment

• zzdocxx
      zzdocxx commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe I ought to recal my meat probe on a regular basis. I've just done it the once.

Yeah the zone testing, I liked that post where the guy laid out biscuits in a matrix on a baking sheet to where the hot and cool spots were.
      Last edited by zzdocxx; September 12, 2020, 09:17 PM.

On a related note, I like the wifi on my Traeger where I can check things out on my phone and even change the settings (when it is working).

I was looking at some of the Thermoworks multi-probe devices. There's one that has long range RF connectivity (I think) but no wifi. Then the one with wifi I think doesn't have all the features. A little confusing for me. Maybe next year ?

Comment

Those kind of temp swings and differentials from what the pellet controller is set to and shows versus what a good temp device shows (I use both a Fireboard and a Thermoworks Signals - both wifi capable and multi-port) have driven pellet pooper owners crazy for years. My old Camp Chef DLX (since sold) performed the way you describe your Traeger is performing.

Then I got a MAK 2 Star - one of its great features is the roaming thermocouple, the pit's temp probe. You can put the probe just about anywhere on the main or upper grate(s) depending on where you are cooking food. I cook a lot on the upper grate, place the MAK's probe up there along side my FB's ambient. Now I never see huge swings or more, usually +5/-5 difference. Might not make a huge difference in the quality of the cook, but certainly allows for my peace of mind knowing the temps are what I am aiming for.

Comment

Sorry to be late to the discussion. I have an Ironwood 885, and have the same issue with my grill’s thermostat. I used my Thermoworks smoke and it read lower than the grill. I am convinced this has screwed up a couple of "low and slow" cooks of brisket. My fast cooks (chicken, steaks and chops) come out great, but ribs and brisket I have trouble getting right. I love this grill, it holds lots of meat but this temp issue has been frustrating.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here