Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning your Traeger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning your Traeger

Hey All,

New Traeger owner here. How do you go about cleaning your Traegers? Their website shows cleaning the whole unit (inside the chamber, etc..) with a degreaser. I understand cleaning the grill grates but the walls of the chamber?? I never cleaned the walls of my PBC, kept all that "goodness".

Thoughts here??
    Thanks in advance

I have had my Recteq pellet grill for about a year and a half now. I change the foil over the drip pan and vacuume out the ash from in and around the firepot every 2-3 cooks. But that's it on the inside. In fact that’s all they recommend. No issues so far. 🤷‍♂️

Comment

• tenphases
      tenphases commented
      Editing a comment
      I second this in my Camp Chef.

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      Same way my father cleans his Traeger.

Kinda hate to admit this but I have owned my Traeger for 10 years and have NEVER cleaned the inside chamber walls. I clean the grate, drip pan, and vacuum out the firepot and the bottom of the chamber of any loose ash regularly. I have never used any kind of degreaser inside the chamber though. Never thought it needed it.

Comment

I have a camp chef and have never cleaned it other than to shop vac the firebox and hopper.

Comment

I'll chime in here as well with a me too. I've had a number of pellet grills including 3 Traegers and never did more than the foil, vacuum, and scrape the grates. If grates got really nasty I might pressure wash those or something. Obviously, if something unusual where to happen and you splattered all over or something that might be different where you might want to wipe off or scrape down the inside of the barrel, but that would probably be more of an accident than something normal.

Comment

Agree with all above.

If you are OCD and it gets greasy in there other than the grill, you could wipe it down, and could even spray some degreaser like Simple Green in there.

I think I gave my grease channel a cursory wipe with a paper towel the other day, it was a bit gunky.

BTW which model do you have ?

Comment

I have a Cabela's branded pellet cooker. I don't use a degreaser, but about twice a year I use a putty knife and scrape any buildup from the inside walls. I then vacuum everything up and do a high temperature burn off.

Comment

The only thing I would do in addition to the above would be to scrap the inside of the lid. After a couple years, the build up would drip a couple drops onto the front shelf during higher temp cooks. So I'd crank it up to 350+. Once it was at temp I'd put on gloves and use a plastic scraper to remove the gunk build up. I'd have to close and open the lid several times to reheat it to make getting the gunk off easier.

Comment

I saw an Ace Hardware video where they used the Traeger solution to clean the inside of the cooker. I am like everyone else, I scrape the big chunks, vacuum the ash and change the foil. I will steam clean it once a year if it needs it

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here