Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boneless Beef Ribs Fail? First attempt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boneless Beef Ribs Fail? First attempt.

Boneless Beef Ribs Fail ? First attempt on these.

I put some rub (salt, pepper, garlic powder) on them last night and let them set till around noon today. Normally I do rub just shortly before putting the meat on the grill.

I put them on at 225 degrees with a temp probe in the largest piece. It was taking hours and hours and so after around 4 hours I took the temp up to 325. They had stalled around 155.

I wanted to make a glaze for them which I did with some preserves and vinegar. I was trying to sort of copy a recipe for an apricot glaze but didn't have apricot preserves so I used some kind of fancy blackberry and cherry stuff instead.

At around 185 I brushed on some of the glaze, then again a short while later after I turned them over.

Finally a couple were 205+ and the rest were around the 195 mark. So I took them off and covered them up with foil. There had been a little one that hit 205 much earlier than the others and it was pretty good.

I was hoping they would eventually fall apart like carnitas/pulled pork butt. Some part of them did, but not quite that falling apart. The other problem was on the corners, most of them were pretty hard on the outside.

The worst part, waaaaaaayyyy to salty for my palate. The lady that cleans house for me is very charitable and said it was good, especially when dipped in the extra glaze. She also said she can fix too salty by cooking it up with some onions and peppers. Sounds like a salvage job to me but as I say she is very charitable.

Differential diagnosis:

1. Used too much salt, or should not have left the salt on overnight. But I think just the amount of salt must have been the problem. Or should the overnight salt be rinsed off ? I didn't think I used that much, but the pieces of meat were small so maybe that was the problem.

2. Took off grill too soon, was too impatient after several hours, and should have let them all come up to 205. I thought letting them rest might get them there but no.

3. Too dry, should I have spritzed them near the end?

4. Sugar in glaze caused the outside to harden up.

5. (edit) Did the sugar also cause the flame up? A fair amount of the glaze dripped off onto the drip pan, the glaze had a somewhat thick consistency.

BTW the drip pan liner sort of caught on fire right at the end there, maybe that was when I turned it up in anticipation of searing some Denver steaks I had cut from the chuck roll I got at Costco Business Center during the first coronavirus wave.

About the Denver steaks, I put them up on the top shelf to catch some smoke for about 30-40 minutes while I had the ribs on at 225. Then I took them off, covered them, and put them back on to sear after the ribs came off and I had cranked up the heat and put the GrillGrates on there.

The Denver steaks actually came out pretty nice. At least the one I cut a few pieces off did. Nice beefy and almost buttery flavor.

I had a couple of ears of corn that I threw on for an hour or two while the ribs were cooking. I learned something -- one of the ears was way along the back and overlying the gap between the drip pan and the wall. It got a few rows somewhat burnt, which doesn't bother me too much.

I guess it was after I took the ribs off and cranked it up to 500 for searing that I came back to find the drip pan liner flaming up pretty good, and also flames coming from a corner of the drip channel etc.

Random note: I had gotten a bit too much ash when I did the seasoning runs yesterday. So today I put a pan of water in there with the idea of catching some ash, I can't remember who mentioned that on this site. Someone also mentioned cooking something greasy first time around so that the leftover grease would catch some of the ash. I took a can of avocado oil spray and sprayed around the edges where the ash seemed to be catching, no idea if it worked or not. I will say though that when I took out the pan of water, it had a slight yellow/brown tinge to it. Was it catching ash or just stealing my smoke ? ? ? Who knows really.

Right now I am cooking a whole chicken at 400, as someone here mentioned that's how they got a nice crispy skin.

Tough grilling day for me today, no idea it would take so long.

One other small funny note. There are some spiffy websites that purport to be your expert on everything. I saw a couple of recipes that said to cook boneless beef ribs about twenty minutes on each side on the grill, haha. I did pull off a small one early on at about 135, it had a perfect pink color and was tough as boot.

Questions ?

Eh, I'll post a few pics from my phone.

Last edited by zzdocxx; July 13, 2020, 10:56 AM.

A few pics.
    Attached Files

Comment

Bong water, bratwurst.
      Attached Files

Comment

Ye Denver steaks.

And some casualties of the flame up.
        Attached Files

Comment

After the excitement died down, I set the grill to 400 and put in a whole Foster Farms chicken. I rubbed it with the free Traeger chicken rub I got when I bought the grill.

After a bit more than an hour, by my reckoning, I checked the temp and didn't find anything less than 165. I did some googling to find out why they always say don't let the thermometer touch the bone.

I took it off and let it rest for about 15-20 minutes. The skin was a delightful crispy golden brown. The leg bone pulled right off when I pulled on it to cut the leg off.

But then when I went to take the thigh off, I noticed it was a tad pink, just a tad. There were also a couple of little areas on the breast side that were a smidge pink. It scared me enough that i didn't even taste any part of the bird. I didn't feel like firing up the grill and starting over, but the nice cleaning lady said she could take it home and finish cooking it in her oven. You see, she also takes care of my 95 year old mom during the daytime about 6 days per week. So I usually send most of what I grill home with her, for her, her daughter, my mom, my sister, etc. That helps to keep me from eating too much of it anyway.

I found a cool and very scholarly article about bone conduction of heat, dang I can't find it at this moment but I will post a link when I do. My question was, "why should the thermometer not touch bone when checking temp?"

Comment

invention, future, greg blonder,cBBQ, food science, genuineideas, toys, genes, darwin, growth of internet, venture capital, deep time

Article where multiple temp probes are placed in bone and meat and temp graphed, etc.

Here is a pic to whet your interest in reading this article.

I hope I am not violating any rules by posting this pic from the 2013 article.
            Last edited by zzdocxx; July 13, 2020, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here