Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pro 575 model. A boat anchor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pro 575 model. A boat anchor

As much as I want to like this grill I just can't. It don't smoke enough for get good flavor into meats and it don't get hot enough to grill. I'm experienced in smoking ribs, pork Butt, brisket but this grill just can't do it. I strongly feel that Traeger should do a recall or give a full refund.
    any other 575 owners feel the same?

Some here also use a smoke tube with their pellet poopers.

Comment

I have pretty much decided my Memphis Pro circulates the air through it WAY too quickly to ever develop a real smoke profile. Hell I light 2 smoke tubes and still not a decent smoke.

Comment

• terryearp
        terryearp commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah I'm thinking maybe put aluminum foil over smoke stack to damper it

What pellets are you using? With the exception of a Weber, pellet grills are going to have subtle smoke compared to just about any other type of smoker. If you haven’t tried them yet, I strongly recommend trying a bag of CookinPellets 100% hickory. Though I do think Traegers new controllers produce less smoke than the old ones. Everyone cried about the temp fluctuations, so they tightened them up and in turn reduced smoke.

Comment

I've used about every pellet brand I've ever run across.
        And you are correct that hickory seems to come closest to producing a bit of a smoke profile.
        I do use the Memphis for meatloaf, and it will cook perfect salmon.
        My work around for the Memphis Pro is the Big Chief Smoker. 1.5 hours in the Big Chief and I'm happy with the smoke.

Comment

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          Most pellets are blends, there’s not many that are true 100% hickory. CookinPellets and LumberJack are the only I’ve personally found. Most of the other ‘Hickory’ pellets are 20-30% hickory, the rest oak or alder. I prefer CookinPellets because they don’t use bark making them burn cleaner, but you definitely pay for that.

Smoke tube. Pellet poopers are simply too efficient for their own good.
        An A-MAZE-N tube or similar will seriously up the smoke profile. Obviously that won’t help with grilling, but it will bring a lot to the party as far as smoking.

Comment

You may wanna check this one out, by our own Troutman:

Want more smoke from your pellet cooker? The Heavy D Stick Burning Heat Diffuser replaces your cooker's current heat diffuser and includes perforated chambers for holding wood logs or chunks that generate smoke for about 2 hours. Read our full review.

Comment

• glitchy
            glitchy commented
            Editing a comment
            It would be interesting to see if this could work in the new Traegers, I saw it when Troutman posted it, but Traeger's heat shield is very different in the new models.

• terryearp
            terryearp commented
            Editing a comment
            Interesting!

• JimLinebarger
            JimLinebarger commented
            Editing a comment
            I looked into the Heavy D for my Traeger Timberline 850 but it would have to be totally reengineered and would be using much smaller chunks of wood.

Sadly, you may find this to be the case with most if not all pellet cookers. Interestingly, Max gave the Pro 575 a Gold after thorough testing. Your threshold for, or expectations for, smoke flavor might be quite high and you just won't get it with pellets. Personally where I find they excel is with 'other' things, like lasagna, burgers, wings, pizza, nachos, etc. Stuff that you don't typically want smoked as hardcore as a brisket or ribs. I too find the classic BBQ items like ribs and brisket to be a underwhelming on pellets. Another workaround I've found to help give it a smoke boost is to place your meat on your cold smoker and let it sit though the initial warmup. All that extra smoke at startup will help some too. I also like to place some small chunks of wood under the drip tray, on top of the diffuser over the burn box. Depending how much room this unit has you could try that.

Comment

• terryearp
            terryearp commented
            Editing a comment
            I'll buy a smoke tube and test it out I guess.

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            "Stuff that you don't typically want smoked as hardcore as a brisket or ribs." Well derp, colour me purple. LOL My parents don’t use there’s as much as I think they should... But in trying to explain the simplicity, I essentially say that it’s the same as their oven...it just burns pellets instead of NG. But it never occurred to me use it for "other" stuff...being underwhelmed as I am with its smoke profile. Derpy derpy derp. LOL When I visit again I’ll try some nachos or something.

Ok. The smoke tube is the key to smoke success with my grill. Now if I can get my induction fan replaced so I can get some heat, maybe I'll be a happy camper.😁

Comment

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            That smoke tube is also great for things like smoking cheese.
            There’s very little heat generated by the tube so I find it perfect for things like cheese & nuts...stuff that has a fairly broad safety margin. (Read: not cold smoked salmon.)

I’ve also found that after smoking cheese, it get more intense the next day or so. Smoke it, bag it, and toss it in the fridge. Tomorrow is when it shines in my experience.

It sure is good things worked out in the smoke department with yer smoker. Hmmm, interesting play on words. With some more tinkering you will right the ship & store the anchor.

Comment

Using a smoke tube helps the smoke profile tremendously. For me the key is to fill it with wood chips, not pellets. Stuffing it with pellets didn't do much IMO.

Comment

I returned my 575 for an exchange. I got the pro series 22. Wow big difference, this is how a treager is supposed to work. Better smoke, heats up fast, and the burner diffuser is a lot more solid.
              ill be updating as I get experienced with this grill.
              ​​​​

Comment

• Greasy
                Greasy commented
                Editing a comment
                Thx for posting! I have a Pro 22 and I figured the new ones were just better.I guess that's not the case.

Originally posted by terryearp View Post
              I returned my 575 for an exchange. I got the pro series 22. Wow big difference, this is how a treager is supposed to work. Better smoke, heats up fast, and the burner diffuser is a lot more solid.
              ill be updating as I get experienced with this grill.
              ​​​​
              The Pro 22 is an earlier model than the 575, right?

Comment

• terryearp
                terryearp commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes.

I purchased a Pro780 about 10 months ago. I have the same feelings about it. Great outdoor oven but a lousy smoker and grill. I have tried many different pellets. It just doesn't produce enough smoke. After reading all these posts it sounds like I need to try a smoke tube.

Comment

• terryearp
                terryearp commented
                Editing a comment
                Smoke tubes work good.

Has anybody thought of soakin the pellets? 😎

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here