Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Traeger Temps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traeger Temps

A couple of months ago I got a Traeger Pro 780. It isn't my primary smoker, I use it mainly for convenience cooking during the week. Yesterday I decided to try a couple of slabs of ribs on it and do some temp testing. I had previously tested the meat probe that comes with it against my Fireboard/Thermapen and found it to be off by +/- 20 degrees, so I haven't used it since. No big deal, that's what I have the Fireboard for.

Yesterday I set my Fireboard probe in a probe clip about two inches away from the Traeger probe. I set the Traeger to 250 and a few hours later I checked back and found that it had been running at approximately 215-220, per the Fireboard. While I had calibrated my Fireboard probes not that long ago, at around 7pm I decided to switch out the probe and see if it was a probe problem. Nope, the second probe read the same.

Next, I bumped the temp up to 275 and, once settled in, the Fireboard was reading approximately 245-250. The difference was pretty consistent, so I can account for the difference going forward, not devastating. However, I was pretty surprised and disappointed to see that it wasn't more accurate, given all of the talk about how improved the Traeger brand is and the rising price tags.

Has anyone else found similar temp variances with their Traeger?

Attached Files

Are you connected to WiFi? The D2 Pros has a Firmware issue where the RTD was off when it shipped. About that much at low temps, 80-100 at max temp. A firmware update was supposed to fix the issue.

Comment

• JPGators17
      JPGators17 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes. It's a bit ironic that you ask, because when I turned it on for this cook it immediately began downloading an update. The first time it had done that since I got it.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here