Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Traeger Silverton 620 Review - Costco specific model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot wait to see what is next, your very helpful in saving us money.

Comment

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      I don’t know whether to take that good or bad. I guess I already admitted I was a bit nuts. I do like to share info on grills because outside of Weber models, it’s hard to see many grills personally before buying and hard to know how they cook until you try them out. Max does great tests, but can’t test every grill there is.

Originally posted by glitchy View Post
    As I was lightly cleaning this to return it, I snapped a pic of the gap between walls and drip tray. It was 3/8” front and rear.
    So what do you reckon is causing the hot spot ?

Comment

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      Most pellet grills have one or more. A lot of it is the nature of fanning a small but hot fire. That’s why it is important to learn your pit to know how it runs.

Thanks, I’m about to upgrade to a Silverton 620 from my Junior Elite 20.

Comment

glitchy did you ever try the ironwood or was the assumption the lack of smoke flavor from the Costco traeger would be the same?

Comment

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        Jwater412 I think the newer Traeger controllers produce less smoke than the old, but I would guess the Ironwood would do better than the Silverton. The airflow was just too restricted with the design. The Pro 575 I tested was fair. However, the exhaust is different on the Ironwood, so depends how well that was engineered.

glitchy what did you end up getting after the silverton? Did you have another post about that?

Comment

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a Woodwind WiFi that has worked pretty well: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-at-back-patio

I also am getting another SmokeFire because I feel like they produce the best food for a pellet grill. However, I really don’t recommend them to people yet because they’ve had a lot of issues. Weber has supposedly worked a lot of them out, but it hasn’t been long enough to see for sure. If it breaks down on me I have another cooker to use.

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        And welcome to the site! Hope you like it here and stick around. What do you cook with now?

Yea I like the community for sure everyone seems to provide useful information. I just have a Coleman road trip right now. But since I’m home so much now I’ve watched almost every how to BBQ right video on YouTube and I’m sold on getting a smoker.

i was leaning super heavy towards the Kamado joe 3, but the. My buddy got a traeger pro 575 and I started my pellet grill research and realized the convenience is much better for life with a 2 year old right now.

so that brought me to the Yoder ys640 and the Ironwood 885. What I’m afraid of the rust issues with Yoder and I’m afraid of low smoke flavor with traeger.

Comment

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        If you’re willing to spend that much, I’d probably look at Pitts and Spitts. I used to love Traeger, but I’d take a CampChef over any Traeger these days. Yoder owners usually love them, but I think they’ve accepted touching up every year. I fell in love with pellet grills when my kids were younger too for the convenience. In the end though, it’s what you like best. If you’re not used to stick burner smoke levels, most pellet grills add a nice subtle smoke (Silverton excluded).

I'm going to have to try the biscuit thing with my Traeger. That's slick!

Also, like the 4 Roses. Good Call!

Comment

The most smoke I’ve cooked with myself is on wings and brats with a smoke box on my gas grill cooking indirect...so my smoke pallet probably isn’t that strong? But I have had brisket and ribs off a green egg once and it was great. I think I have a fear of missing out. So do you think the Pitts in Spitts have a stronger smoke flavor than the 2 I was considering?

Comment

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          No on more smoke, I just think it’s probably one of the better built in that price range. I know that the smokedaddyinc heat deflector that will let you put splits into it upping the smoke profile. Is it Attjack that has that? Pellet grills are not for heavy smoke in general though. Mak and Yoder are often mentioned for the best smoke output stock. Mak is a whole different price class though new.

Last edited by glitchy; July 1, 2020, 11:41 PM.

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          There is also a trade iin convenience vs smoke level, generally speaking. However, a kamado or Weber Summit isn’t really that much work, especially if you add a temp controller like fireboard w/drive and a fan or bbq guru to it. It’s just 30-60 mins to get it going vs 15 mins to fill the hopper, flip the switch and wait. Once at temp, both pretty easy.
          Last edited by glitchy; July 1, 2020, 11:55 PM.

glitchy Thanks for all the info, that heat deflectors looks really cool, great idea to add more smoke profile. I’m definitely sold on the pellet grill for my initial smoker. Once the "new grill smell" wears off though I’m going to add a Kamado to the mix probably next summer.

The Pitts and Spitts looks really good...time to dive into the research on that one haha. I’m loving the stainless steel no maintenance exterior right away!

Comment

Should I even consider upright pellet smokers or stick to the horizontal types?

Comment

• glitchy
            glitchy commented
            Editing a comment
            If you want to make jerky, hang lots of sausages, or make 8-12 butts at once, maybe. Otherwise, I’d say the traditional barrel style have been more proven for reliability. If a kamado is your dream, I’d really suggest saving for it first and then decide if you need a pellet grill later. Pellet grills make convenient smokers, but most make lousy to mediocre ‘grills’. A kamado can do it all. If I could only keep one of my grills, it would definitely be the Weber Summit Charcoal Grill.

Thanks again for the info, I’m going to try to see some in person this weekend. There’s dealers near me with the Yoder, Traeger and the Kamado joe.

Comment

I picked up a new Silverton 620 a couple of days ago and assembled it yesterday. I will get to the wifi setup later, I don't want to ruin a whole day getting frustrated over it.

My current grill, the Traeger Junior Elite, gives off a lot of smoke and I have been happy with the results. I don't have as much to compare to however since my experience is a lot less than Glitchy's. The Junior has been super wonky lately, with a couple of pellet hopper fires, a few times it has gone out, and so forth.

So maybe within a couple of weeks I'll have the S620 up and running. I was looking at the "seasoning" instructions, and it looks like it is a few hours of bringing it up to set temp, letting it run, then turning it off. Rinse and repeat and repeat and repeat.

Comment

After the Four Roses, results vs quality and longgevity.
              Thanks for reivew. food lookd real good,

Comment

• zinfella
                zinfella commented
                Editing a comment
                BTW, my uncle was a PR rep for the Kessler-Four Roses division of Seagrams Distilleries. He was the guy that would walk into a bar and say "Set'em up foe the house", as long as it was a Seagrams product being poured. But, off the job, he made other choices for his own glass!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here