Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Traeger Silverton 620 Review - Costco specific model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traeger Silverton 620 Review - Costco specific model

Decision

I’d been having concerns about the SmokeFire, so I have been looking for what to replace it with. As quirky as pellet grills can be, I’m afraid of blind mail order purchases. Locally, I was down to 3 options: Traeger Ironwood, Traeger Silverton, and Camp Chef Woodwind. I just luckily stumbled on the Silverton. I was looking hard at the other two, what drove me away from the Woodwind was the perforated drip tray. I don’t want the potential mess and want to be able to foil my drip tray for convenience. I’ve since found the Woodwind Classic uses a non perforated tray.

Silverton VS Ironwood: The biggest differentiators between the D2 Pro and the Ironwood is the controller and the smoke stack. The Silverton has the Pro style controller, but different firmware with the 500 degree max temp of the Ironwood. It also has a rear downdraft style exhaust. The Silverton is also cheaper than both and darn near half the price in warehouse ($699). With Costco’s overly generous return policy, I was sold.
    Attached Files

I’m looking forward to the food photos from you!

Comment

Packaging and Assembly

This think weighs a ton. I should look up weights, but it’s easily the second heaviest grill I have owned after the Memphis Pro. It was packaged very well and super easy to assemble. It could probably be done in 20 minutes, but I putz around and overthink things. Basically, you just bolt the sides and bottom on the cabinet, screw on the shelves, and snap the doors in, that’s about it. Since it weighed so much, I assembled the cabinet in the garage and the rest outside trying to keep weight down while the wife helped navigate it through the house again.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by glitchy; February 23, 2020, 01:02 PM.

Comment

• mnavarre
        mnavarre commented
        Editing a comment
        How much "help" was the cat?

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, she didn’t make us drop in or run it into something so we’ll call it a win.

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        judging by the photo, I do like The Four Roses, so it is a good choice.

Putting things where they belong
      Attached Files

Comment

Concerns

All humor aside, Traeger’s liners are usually a joke. I’ve tried them in the past and went back to foil. However, in this case I pulled them back out of the trash because I need to test with them later. Not because I think they’ve improved them, but I am concerned with the spacing around the drip pan and need to rule out that foil is not affecting airflow and causing the uneven temps I’ve seen so far, especially in the left rear. I’ll get a good picture of this spacing later.

When I fired up the grill, before lighting, I connected it to WiFi via the app, when the grill connected to my network I lost all ability to see it in the app. However, from research I knew they recently changed cloud services so I didn’t panic. I seasoned the grill and since it was about 1:00 AM, left the grill in standby mode and hit the hay. In the morning, I grabbed my phone and opened the Traeger app. My grill was now connected and the grill had updated itself overnight. Patience wins.

I had no expectations of the being as good as a high heat cooker as the Weber. However, since it goes to 500, I decided to try some pizzas. Before starting those, I threw on biscuits to see the unevenness I was suspecting. You can see the back left biscuit confirms the concerns. I should have oiled the grates in hindsight. Then I cooked the first pizza by package instructions. 425 for 14-16 mins. The pic is after 17-18. I ended up throwing it under the broiler for 3 more. The second pizza was cheese to check for ash. Instead of following the instructions of 400 for 16-18, I set the grill to 450 to counter the recoveries. Ate that one as it came off the Traeger. I accidentally cleared my timer, so not sure exactly how long it went. I was pleasantly surprised.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by glitchy; February 23, 2020, 01:03 PM.

Comment

I’m a little out of order here wanting to point out my concerns early in the thread. My first cook was actually some bacon to get a little grease in the pit right away. I like giving ash something to stick to. Then I did some pork chops for lunch since that’s what the wife picked out at the store.
          Attached Files

Comment

"In the morning, I grabbed my phone and opened the Traeger app. My grill was now connected and the grill had updated itself overnight."

I'm a software kind of guy but it just cracks me up that we all (me too) have things that really are so simple at heart laden with tech now. My TV occasionally tells me it's updated itself. Now we're updating what really are big boxes with fire inside.

Looking forward to hearing more.
            Last edited by rickgregory; July 2, 2020, 09:15 AM.

Comment

With the expectations of this being mostly a low and slow cooker, I have some baby backs going today. Started at 200 for 30 , then 250 for a couple hours, now 275 since I overslept a bit and we are getting hungry. The Fireboard is definitely confirming my concern. On the last pics, I sled the back left probe up as close to ribs as I could.
              Attached Files

Comment

The move was probably 1/2”. Here’s my graph. You can see that back left is staying about 50 higher all the time.
                Attached Files

Comment

I am even wearing my special pellet grill review t-shirt today too in order to help with inspiration in these posts.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Ok, finally some of the wibs are done. Served up lunch, ate the first bone and glanced over inquisitively at my bride and asked "What do you think? What’s your take on the smoke flavor?"

Suddenly a💡 appeared above her head and she stated, these are cooked good, seasoning is fine, but something’s off...that’s it, there’s absolutely no smoke flavor, like you cooked them in an oven. Visitation for the Ocho is tomorrow from 5-7 followed by a celebration of a short life Tuesday at 6:30.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• glitchy
                      glitchy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks! Thinking hard about a 1 star...Wife isn’t liking the idea, so letting it soak in a while.

• Goldenbear
                      Goldenbear commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I wasn't considering the price point before. The SmokeFire was 2x more than my other biggest PG purchase. The SF kind of fell into my lap as an option when I had to return the LG 900 to Costco, and as a Weber fan, it was easy to justify the increase. I've been aware of MAK's for a while, and figured one day I'd go that route, but not this soon. As I stated in your SF thread, I'm just tired of dealing with issues (not to mention wanting a _real_ smoker). So....buy once, cry once as they say.

• Goldenbear
                      Goldenbear commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Let me know if you want any push with your decision. I've read everything there is to read about the MAK, twice, especially with the 1 Star vs 2 Star consideration.
                      Last edited by Goldenbear; February 23, 2020, 05:54 PM.

Oy Ocho! Just wondering if you are looking for visitation rights to the ol’ Memphis..

Comment

• glitchy
                      glitchy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Not in the tiniest bit, don’t miss it at all.

You're going to be a pro at assembling pellet cookers.

Comment

• glitchy
                      glitchy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nothing beats Memphis for frustration, taking all the protective film off is the pits.

Originally posted by glitchy View Post
                    Not in the tiniest bit, don’t miss it at all.
                    Hey, just pulling your leg. I recall your posts about the grease fires on the Memphis. Should have gone with my other thought - "Say it ain’t so Ocho!". Oh well, not going on the comedy tour I guess.

Comment

• glitchy
                      glitchy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      No worries at all, I took no offense and a very fair question to ask. Every grill has it's pluses and minuses and the Memphis is a top notch pit. Just not the right one for what I want to do. If I had a lot more disposable income and outdoor space, it might still be part of the arsenal with a couple specific duties.

As I was lightly cleaning this to return it, I snapped a pic of the gap between walls and drip tray. It was 3/8” front and rear.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here