Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey on the Traeger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey on the Traeger?

I got a Traeger Ironwood 885 for my birthday (because my wife is awesome, and totally spoils me), and will be cooking our Thanksgiving turkey in it for the first time tomorrow. Is there anything I should know? I've smoked them in a gas smoker the last few years, using Meathead's recipe. One question that comes to mind is whether I'll be able to make the gravy Meathead style. Can you put a gravy pan under the bird on the drip tray, or is that a bad idea? Thanks in advance!

I have a similar smoker - I spatchcock the turkey and smoke at 275. (I brine the turkey before smoking). Once I started doing the turkey this method, it’s the only way the family will let me cook it!

Comment

• Wedunne
      Wedunne commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting! How long does it take to cook at that temperature? I assume you get more smoke that way, but some people seem to prefer the crispier skin you get at 325 or 350. But maybe that's not an issue?

• Scott H
      Scott H commented
      Editing a comment
      It takes about 13 minutes/lb. We don’t eat the skin, so for us it’s not an issue having crispy skin.

With the Ironwood could you spatchcock and put on second shelf with pan on main grate? I’ve done a couple soatchcocked on my poopers and several breasts, but always cook at 350-375 for the skin. I haven’t tried to catch the turkey drippings on my grills, but have less headroom and shelf levels.

Comment

I put my bird in a rack then into a roasting pan with some water on the Keg to catch drippings for gravy.
      Only problem you may come across is depending on the amount of salt used for brining your gravy may come out extremely salty.
      Have canned gravy available and/or plenty of wine.

Comment

Update: the turkey fits (barely) on the top rack, leaving plenty of room for the gravy pan on the bottom. It's a 14 pounder. Don't think a larger bird would have fit. Should be good, I think.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191128_143543777.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	774227Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191128_143533832.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	774228

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here