Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Traeger Pro 575- A step up from the Pro 34?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traeger Pro 575- A step up from the Pro 34?

Hi everybody. Now that we are getting close to Spring, I am looking at a Traeger, as my Weber is about to disintegrate after years of use. I would prefer to just get 1 new Traeger and be able to use it as a traditional grill for steaks, burgers, etc as well as low and slow for ribs and brisket. I see that the Pro 575 is a newer model. Not quite as big, but it mentions it can cook hot and fast.

I wanted to ask the experts here if in fact the 575 is worth the extra cost over the 34, and if you can reasonably use it for 500 degrees or so for steaks. It would be great to get the best of both worlds, but if I had to get a cheap propane grill to go with it, it isn't the end of the world.

Either way, I just want to make sure I invest in the best model of Traeger between the 2. Thanks in advance!

The Pro 575 is still the same design as the regular Pro and is a 100% indirect cooker. This means even if it went to 650° or higher, it’s still going to be pretty mediocre at searing. You can aid the process by using something that creates more conductive energy like a cast iron pan or GrillGrates. However, by itself it’s not going to sear anything like a charcoal, gasser or a different pellet grill that has a way to partially expose the fire pot for direct cooking.

The Pro 575 should get hotter and recover temps faster than the classic pro with the dial controller though.

Comment

I have a Traeger Timberline 850, yes, I can get sear marks on steaks. I love my pellet grill, but it is really not a hot and fast cooker. Some of my first cooks on a pellet grill were beer-can chicken and frozen burger patties. Also, no flip burgers.
      I have reversed seared steaks on the Traeger: Super Smoke at 165F to 120F internal, removed and rested wail grill comes up to 500F, and then seared.

Comment

Thanks everyone. It looks like adding Grill Grates to the Traeger works like a champ, so I think I am going with the 575 and the grill grates for the best of both worlds. Happy Smoking everyone

Comment

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          Just FYI, you just want to get a searing station set in a pellet grill to throw on when searing. Replacing your regular grates can mess up airflow too much for a pellet grill.

Thanks, I am looking at the Grill Grates brand. There are a lot of good videos out there on using them on a Traeger, so I think that is what I will do. Have a good one, everybody

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here