Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drip tray on a pellet smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drip tray on a pellet smoker

Hi there,

Tomorrow I'm going to use Meathead's The Ultimate Grilled And Smoked Turkey Recipe and in it he calls to have a tray under the bird to catch the drippings and regulate the heat.

Does anyone here do that? If so any suggestions on where to do that? I have an Ironwood 650.

Thanks in advance.

I often use a pan (usually disposable, but not always) with one of several stand-alone grill grates from the kitchen set directly on top. Haven't done it with a turkey ... but if you have a sufficiently large pan, a grill grate to set on it that is strong enough to support your turkey, and enough vertical space in your pellet rig, then you should be good to go.

Comment

If your upper grate is large enough to hold your bird, you can cook on the upper and put a pan on the main grate.

Comment

I have done this in my Rec Tec for years. Only had to clean the grease bucket once in 7 years.Click image for larger version

Name:	20210919_143909.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	1131715

Comment

• Jfrosty27
          Jfrosty27 commented
          Editing a comment
          I have an RT-700. Why didn’t I think of that!! Thanks for the tip.

I don't, better gravy can be made without the Drippings. Although I truly enjoy giblet gravy made with the drippings.
        Got a spatchcocked turkey in my Traeger as I type. This is the first turkey on my pellet grill, no-drip pan for me.

Comment

• DrJimmy2112
          DrJimmy2112 commented
          Editing a comment
          I am doing my first spatchcocked turkey tomorrow on my Grilla. I'd be interested in how yours turns out.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here