Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Smoke

I get along pretty well with my Traeger Timberline 1300, but there are times that it just doesn't give me heavy enough smoke. I presume that this is true with all pellet smokers. Does anyone have any experience with using a Smoke Daddy Heavy D: Pellet Grill Stick Burning Heat Diffuser with this grill?

Welcome to the pit per say, See you’ve been a member for a long time but making your first posts tonight. I’ve looked at the Timberline in the past, but I don’t recall the standard diffuser to know if the heavy D will fit. You want to be careful how much you stray from the standard design as you may cause things like temp issues.

In my experience both temps and the pellets you use make a huge difference. CookinPellets and Lumberjack both make pellets that are 100% hickory and not 70-80% oak or alder like many ‘hickory’ pellets sold. Traeger’s pellets are definitely 70-80 oak/alder on their single species pellets - they’ve admitted it repeatedly. It’s oak if they come from their eastern plants, alder from the western plants. If I want more smoke I run for a couple hours at really low temps 180-225 before going above that.

I don’t use them myself, but you can also get smoke tube you fill with pellets, light the open end with a torch and throw in the grill to add more smoke.

Comment

• willxfmr
      willxfmr commented
      Editing a comment
      If anyone is curious, glitchy types faster than I do.

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      willxfmr Nice try, I’m on an iPad where I two finger it and have to correct the auto-correct numerous times per sentence.

I don't have the Heavy D, so can't comment on how well they work. For a less expensive alternative you might want to try a smoke tube like this one. I use mine on 99% of my cooks on the pellet pooper and like that I can control heat and smoke as separate components.
    My go to method is to jam a piece of charcoal into the tube first, then wood chips on top of that. Light up the charcoal with a plumbers torch, and then stand the tube up vertically away from the vent/chimney so that as the wood chips burn they keep falling to the bottom.
    I find that if I pack and light the tube, then start the pooper, the tube will be well lit, and putting out smoke right about the same time the pooper is done warming up. The other advantage with the tube is that you can run hotter and still get a good smoke profile.
    Last edited by willxfmr; March 7, 2021, 09:52 PM.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s a great idea. I’m going to try it next cook.

Here you go.

Well maybe not, but I did find an accessory for my pellet cooker that has dramatically increased the smoke levels during a long cook. First, I'm running a Pitts & Spitts custom rig. It's a P&S stick burner that was converted into a pellet cooker using the Smoke Daddy Pellet Pro hopper, burn pot and PID controller. I

Comment

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep

• lostclusters
      lostclusters commented
      Editing a comment
      I tried that. I found the smoke was too sootie probably because there isn't enough room for the wood to burn well.

I purchased a couple of A-Maze-N tubes for my father’s Traeger for exactly that reason. Huge improvement. My brother later picked some up for himself.

I have a couple for cold smoking cheese.

Comment

I have the smoke daddy diffuser on my smoke daddy 1190. It sits over your firepot and on each side of the diffuser you add the wood of choice. Definitely gives more of a smoke flavor to your cooks. I wouldn't go without it now

Comment

I use a small, narrow charcoal basket wrapped in tin foil to control the ash. In the basket I put lit charcoal and a few pieces of wood chunks. I'll burn that for the first couple hours of the cook in my Mak and I never miss any smoke flavor.
        Last edited by lostclusters; March 8, 2021, 07:19 PM.

Comment

I've been cooking on pellet grills for several years, both Traeger and RecTec. From a pretty basic level, they need low temps to put on decent smoke, pretty much 250 and under. When doing a low slow butt at 240 for example, they will usually get some good smoke on there. When you are working with anything at higher cooking temps., first running the cook down under 250 for even 20 to 30 minutes then kick up and finish often times will give you a nice smoke flavor base.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I have the Timberline 850. The Super Smoke doesn't really add that much. I looked into the Heavy D. I talked with the owner and he said that it wouldn't fit. However, he did say if I gave him the dimensions he would build me a custom Heavy D. I can't remember why I didn't do it but it had something to do with the small size of the wood chamber and possibly the distance to the heat shield. Now thinking about it, maybe it could replace the heat shield. I have the A-Maze-N tube and just now thought about putting some chunks in it instead of pellets (or with to take up the spaces) to see if that would work.

Comment

Hey Everyone... just purchased a Timberline 1300 and am psyched to have this beast in my backyard. Put it together, did the season... all good,. First cook is happening now and pretty bold: 12 racks of babybacks. I do the 3-2-1 method so need a few minutes to offload after three hours, close the hatch, then re-load once wrapped and ready. I've twice gotten "Low Temperature" flameouts while having the lid open open for just a minute or two and can't get the grill to re-ignite unless I shut it down and restart. Help... anyone have a tip for me or two? I'm halfway through this f'in cook as I type!

Comment

At a recent BBQ gathering some regular pellet smoker guys were praising a brand of pellets called Jealous Devil. They were saying that they liked the smoke profile of this product.

Comment

Originally posted by lostclusters View Post
                  I use a small, narrow charcoal basket wrapped in tin foil to control the ash. In the basket I put lit charcoal and a few pieces of wood chunks. I'll burn that for the first couple hours of the cook in my Mak and I never miss any smoke flavor.
                  Do you have a pic of this?

Also, is the smoke nice and thin&blue?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here