Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Perfect grill marks & reverse sear on the Rec Tec.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perfect grill marks & reverse sear on the Rec Tec.

I set the Rec Tec at 375, put the rib eye on until it had an internal temp of 120 degrees on the stainless rack. Then I moved it over to the grill grates with no changes, left it on the GG's until it came back up to temp, then turned it 90 degrees. Brought it back up to temp then flipped it and repeat the process. Just salt & pepper seasoning and it was superb. So next time someone says you can't sear on a pellet cooker, show them this, or better yet, cook one up for yourself.

Very nice, I will have to do some on my Rec Tec. Thanks for sharing

Comment

Be sure to get grill grates from Rec tec. They are the key to success.

Comment

The Grill Grates came with mine and I also have them on the Weber gasser. They do a great job.

Comment

Veerrrrrrrrrrrrrry Nice! Can't wait to get my GG's!

--Ed

Comment

Now flip them grill grates over and get a perfect sear across the entire surface.

Comment

Ill give that a try soon, thanks for thetip

Comment

Jeesh that looks great! Didn't know you could do that on a pellet burner. .. good job!

Comment

Grill grates are the trick. I don't think my other grills are going to be getting much love.

Comment

bbq Bill Wyko... Great cook. I agree with Dr ROK. Flip those GG's over and put a proper all over crust on those beautiful steaks. Meathead has taught us all that defined grill marks that cover a low percentage of the surface of the steak... Is leaving flavor behind.

Comment

That's a great looking rib eye! I ordered a Rec Tec a few days ago, but didn't order the grill grates. I think I'm gonna have to correct that

Comment

Don't miss the Amazing Ribs tips for cooking a thin steak! And Secretariat Horsey Sauce. Just plain YUM!

Comment

Hello - This is my first post/question in the pit... I have Rec-Tec and Grill Grates and love both. I feel when slow cooking/hot smoking on the stainless grates the temperature and convection is different at grate surface vs higher in the cooker. The heat comes from the front and back gaps between the drip pan and the barrel, and meat close to this flow cooks and dries faster. If I replace all the SS grates w/ GG, and cut off this air flow gap, how will the effect hot smoking and grease draining? I'm curious how having more heat under the meat and less airflow on edges would change the cooking dynamics of this machine. Thanks for your thoughts!

Comment

• _John_
                            _John_ commented
                            Editing a comment
                            This thread is pretty old, I suggest posting a new one so more folks will see it!

• OyinboSteve
                            OyinboSteve commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks John.

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here