Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RecTec bull horn handles on the lid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RecTec bull horn handles on the lid?

I have a friend who is studying pellet grills.

He is leaning toward RecTec but he dislikes the bull horn handles on the lid.

Has anyone changed them out to something different?

Huh.... most people buy them just because of the horns...

Comment

• Ricardo
      Ricardo commented
      Editing a comment
      .🤣

I believe you can replace the handles with easy. I don’t have one, but a video posted on their website shows assembly instructions, and the unit shown, ships without the handles installed.
    Here is the link to the website: https://www.rectecgrills.com/rt-700-support
    BTW: They seem like a pretty well put together system.
    Last edited by Ricardo; April 23, 2020, 08:01 PM.

Comment

I have one - didn't like the idea of the bullhorns either, but hardly notice them now and they function fine. I think they could be easily swapped with something else.

Comment

I have the RT700. The bull horns are kind of corny but work fine. I suppose you could change them easy enough if you have the skills and resources to make something to match up to the bolt holes. But why waste the time and resources. The RT700 is a winner as it is.

Comment

• Alphonse
          Alphonse commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree that their pits seem to be well made and I am always impressed that the owners are such huge advocates. I hesitated to ask the question about removing the handles for fear I would rub someone the wrong way. BTW, my young friend is looking at the RT590 since that is within his budget.

It's kinda hard to answer this one without sounding snarky, but...……………………..in all the cooks I've done on my RT I never once chose the look of the handles over the quality of the outcome of the cook/food. There might be a priorities issue in play here..

Comment

Sure. They bolt on. As long as the holes line up, won't be a problem.

Comment

I have one, love it, just wait the lady's will be impressed with those big horns.

Comment

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              Does that make you...horney?

I like the horns on mine - they are high quality and super slick finish - easy to clean. I have the RT-340 and I don't see any nuts or bolts on the inside of my lid, so I wonder how you would replace them. In looking on the RT website, you can see in the lid open version that the RT-340 doesn't have any access to get to the bolts holding the handles - it looks like they glued the insulating layer over the bolts restricting access. In fact, my handles are a little loose and I've been wondering how to tighten them. Hope they don't get any looser.

In contrast, looking at the lid open view of the RT-590 I can see the bolts. Looks like the RT-590 doesn't have the insulated lid.

Those bull horns are signature Rec-Tec. It wouldn't be genuine without them .

The other day I noticed on my RT-340, after 2 years of use, the high temp caulking that holds the inside sheet metal insulating layer to the lid has disintegrated and there is a crack exposing the inside between the lid and the insulating piece. So, after further study, I think this inside piece of sheet metal is held on by two bolts that also hold the Bull Logo plaque to the outside of the lid. My plan is to remove those two bolts, remove the caulking all around the inside of the insulating sheet metal and remove that piece. This will allow access to tighten up my Bull Horn handles. Then I'll re-assemble and re-caulk. Does anyone have suggestions for high temp caulk? I'm considering this one... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...Q5CHTKLZ&psc=1

The first pic below shows the insulating sheet metal layer inside the lid of my RT-340. The second pic shows the seam where the caulking has disintegrated leaving an open crack.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_114200.jpg
Views:	1669
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	838076Click image for larger version

Name:	image_114201.jpg
Views:	1587
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	838077
            Last edited by treesmacker; April 26, 2020, 02:23 PM.

Comment

• Alphonse
              Alphonse commented
              Editing a comment
              I looked that caulk over and it appears that should work. Many pellet grills use HT silicone caulk, so this is not an unusual application.

Yoder uses Surebond SB-188. You can find it in black and clear. Lavalock makes a version as well.

Thanks folks for the feedback. If my friend dislikes them so bad when he gets the pit, he can weld some up out of rebar on a flange that fits the hole pattern and bolt them on.

He can sell the original factory ones here for at least $100 'cause someone will want to put them on the hood of their truck.

Comment

• treesmacker
              treesmacker commented
              Editing a comment
              Good idea!

What's wrong with horns on the front of your truck, or Caddi?

Comment

• Blues1
              Blues1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, right?!?!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here