Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rec Tec RT 590 or Treager Pro 780?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rec Tec RT 590 or Treager Pro 780?

Im looking to buy myself a new smoker to replace the Weber Kettle / SNS set up that i have been using for a few years.

Iv settled on a pellet smoker but im having a litte trouble deciding between models. Iv narrowed it down to the Rec Tec RT 590 and the Treager Pro 780. Both are about $900 (Treager is usually $100 more but its on sale right now), both have similar features, similar cooking area..

I pretty sure i cant go wrong either way.. but does anyone have any good reasons why i should pick one over the other (or even a third option i should be considering)?

Thx,
    Dan

Yoder YS640 more $ but it's a tank. Love mine.

Comment

Weber SmokeFire

The RecTec is probably a little better built, but the Traeger you can likely get locally. Both should cook food about the same with Traegers D2 controllers. If going Traeger, you might want to consider the Ironwood. I think it's the sweet spot in their lineup. More shelf space, Double walled, no smoke stack, etc. But going to cost you $300 more.

Comment

• treesmacker
        treesmacker commented
        Editing a comment
        After seeing the videos last night on the Weber SmokeFire, I would definitely consider it as glitchy suggested. I'm Rec Tec Trailblazer owner for 1.5 years now and I love it, but that Weber looks awesome.

Warning!!! Warning!!! Do not
      replace the Weber Kettle / SNS
      . Don't do it!!! Just add on.

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Fortin21 I guess you had to do it. Good luck in the new digs. Whatever you decide to get I am sure you will turn out some good stuff.

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        Stinks you have to act fast or cook indoors. When it comes to smoking on a pellet grill, all mine have produced similar results. Grilling is where the differences lie, more so with other brands than Traeger and RecTec. Even then it’s about your tastes. Reverse sear using a skillet works well too. If you can hold out a while though, that Weber sure looks like a different beast to me.

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        I should have read the rest of the comments on later posts, good luck with your decision Fortin21! I plan on preordering myself.

I agree totally with klflowers . I have a Weber 22 w/ SNS and now a Treager Timberline 850. The Traeger does well but even with the Super Smoke function the Weber gives more smoke flavor. You can not sear on the Traeger. What they call sear @500°F is more of a roast than anything. You will seariously miss the Weber.

Comment

• Fortin21
        Fortin21 commented
        Editing a comment
        I miss the Weber kettle already.. i just moved from Boston down to Austin Texas and had the leave the it behind (its in good hands). Il probably end up getting myself a new one at some point because i love cooking with charcoal but im looking for something that takes a less babysitting so that i can do overnight cooks and still get some sleep. I bought a Weber spirit for searing and doing quick cooks so now i just need something for low and slow

So I always cringe when someone recommends something else outside of what the OP specifically asked about.... but I’ve got to bend my own rule for a minute.

No doubt you have done a lot of research to get to where you are at on your decision and you will probably be happy either way.

However if I was looking for a new cooker right now I’m that price range I would definitely add the new Weber pellet cooker to my list of possibilities if I hadn’t already. If it doesn’t check the boxes for you then move on but definitely warrants a look imho.

Full disclosure: I own a Grilla OG and really like and would recommend Grilla to anyone. I owned a traeger jr some years back and was disappointed in it. I also have a bad taste in my mouth for rectec’s sales department based off an interaction I had with them when I was getting ready to purchase a while back.

Comment

• Fortin21
        Fortin21 commented
        Editing a comment
        I just saw the Weber pellet cooker in the newsletter and will definitely have to give that a closer look. Looks like it does everything the Rectec and Treagers will do with a few new tricks.

590 replaced my Weber gas grill. I dont miss it. I may buy a portable gas grill thing like a camp chef in the future though. I still have a weber 22, PBC, and a Kamodo Joe. Lol. I dont think there is anything wrong with the traeger either.

Comment

You mentioned price, the RecTec will likely be a better price, for a short time probably, next week when they do their Black Friday thing. Unfortunately as far as your question goes, you'll almost always get the well intentioned, though distracting, "you should get what I think is best...…" reply. We each have our priorities, but they might not apply to you.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here