Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting ready to buy a Rectec 700 - supplied pellet question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting ready to buy a Rectec 700 - supplied pellet question

I'm about to buy a Rectec 700 and had a question about the supplied pellets. I have read here, and elsewhere, that their pellet mix is a bit harsh or acrid. I'm leaning towards one of the packages for this grill, the accessories I would like make it a decent value but I will be stuck with 400# of their pellets vs 200# if I drop down a level. Has anyone got good results with the pellets they provide? On somewhat related note how useful has the sear kit been for those who have one? The sear kit being one of the drivers that has me looking at the top package. Thanks in advance for the help.

I have had no issues with the Rec Tec pellets. I believe they are a good deal when included in the bundle. I bought the Grill Grates with mine. They work pretty good, but if I want a great sear, I use my Weber Charcoal Grill Center. I like a direct, hot sear. The RT-700 is great for long cooks, but it takes a while to heat up for high heat cooks.

Comment

The biggest problem with answering your two primary questions is that both are subjective in nature as to the response. That being said I'll try to answer in a way that might work to round out for you to maybe be able to apply your tastes.

On the pellets it's not quite a simple "this brand does such and such" answer. Their house branded stuff tends more toward nearly all hardwood, oak, hickory. Those woods will give a more pronounced smoke flavor to most peoples tastes, but even that is relative. If you talk to other smokers who don't believe that a pellet grill imparts enough smoke flavor then it would be unlikely that the RT blend would be all that offensive. Unless, like my bride, you don't care all that much for most "heavy" smoke flavors. The acrid thing is often more a matter of smoldering, "unclean" smoke, but again, it's a personal taste thing. One persons awful is another's "just right". Ya gotta experiment to find what you prefer. The other kicker is that when they run out of their house brand they sent Cookinpellets brand "Perfect Mix", which is hickory, maple, cherry and apple. That's what I got last year around this time when I received my 590 package. It, to my nose and pallet, is slightly sweeter than the heavier hardwood blends, and is perfectly acceptable to the bride. Don't know if you can request that sub when you order if that sounds like something you'd maybe prefer. If you live in an area that has an abundance of retailers that offer a wide spectrum of pellet brands and blends it might pay to order a smaller amount in the package you choose and then experiment with others over time. There is no perfect answer, it's live and learn.

Somewhat similar on the grillin grates. Some rave about them, others say, yeah, they're okay I guess, and then nuance in between. They will usually put nice grill marks on the meat if the temps are high enough (which the 700 will do), and if you flip them over they act somewhat like a griddle with a more solid appearing sear. Hardcore sear folks find them lacking, newbs and the less devoted to char are happy with the results. I think they are helpful in controlling flare ups to a degee, but that's not usually an issue on a pellet grill. Again, it's an experience/experimental thing. No silver bullet answers in the real world...…….
      Last edited by Uncle Bob; November 19, 2019, 07:19 PM.

Comment

I've used the Rectec pellets before and they aren't bad, there's just better stuff out there for a better price.

Comment

Thanks all for the help. I may skip the sear grates for now and save some $$'s I have a DCS grill that gets to nuclear temperatures in minutes. It's what I use for searing my sousvide goodies right now. It is due for a rebuild so it will be out of action for a few weeks depending on how much I procrastinate but I can make do. Maybe I can talk them into swapping out some of the perfect mix pellets so I have some variety.

Comment

I did not buy their pellets. I use B&B pellets. I did buy the grill grates - best thing ever. I sear on them.

Comment

I encourage everyone to at least try a bag of CookinPellets Hickory and a bag of their perfect mix after they’ve tried some others. They are definitely a premium pellet. Not saying there’s not others as good, but I haven’t found them yet in what I’ve tried.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here