Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First cook on the new RecTec Stampede.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First cook on the new RecTec Stampede.

I've had the Stampede for about a month now. As advertised by everyone here, the smoke profile is lighter, in a way I really enjoy. Here are some pics of the setup and first cook.

Click image for larger version

Name:	beer.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	733014

Name:	rec tec finished.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	733015

Started one evening after work. Decided to only have one beer while I was assembling, because I've been known to have 3 and inevitably scratch or dent something. Don't worry, I had many more beers (and bourbon) once I finished. That weekend, I decided to do a 3 pound pork shoulder on the Stampede (used Oakridge Secret Weapon pork and chicken rub). Also did a short rib comparison on the Stampede and my WSM (had a CyberQ for temp control). Used hickory/oak pellets on the Stampede and hickory and oak chunks on the WSM. Just salt and pepper on those. Don't remember the timing on everything anymore, but put the pork on first, then the short ribs a few hours later. Everyone went on at 250 degrees. Wrapped the pork in foil when the bark formed (don't remember what temp that was though).

Name:	WSM.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	733016

Name:	Almost finished.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	733017
    ​

Name:	pork.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	733018
    And here's the Stampede and WSM short rib. I actually don't remember which one is which (it was 3 weeks ago)

Name:	short ribs.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	733019

My wife and I both liked the short rib from the pellet a little better. There was much more smoke from the WSM, but the short rib from the pellet was a little moister, so we voted for that one. As many people from the Pit have said, the smoke from the pellet was subtle, but I thought it really complimented the beef, as opposed to defining it. Maybe I've just been using too many wood chunks in my WSM though. Anyway, it was all delicious. Thank you to everyone in the Pit for all the help and recommendations. On a different note (and probably worth starting a new post for it), my wife and I have a 4-month-old son (in addition to our 3-year-old). The infant has thrown our whole world into chaos, but going onto this forum and BBQing is the only thing that makes me feel like an actual adult. I can't tell you how many times I've read posts while rocking this kid to sleep. So, thank you all for keeping me sane.
    ​​​​​​​--eric

Congrats on the new cooker.

Comment

Congrats on the growing family and the rec-tec! Nice cooker!

Comment

Love it! Congrats on the new little one... and I definitely understand how chaotic a new little life in the family can be... but what a blessing they are! Oh yeah, and welcome to the wonderful world of pellet cooking... food looks great!

Comment

Congrats all the way around.

Comment

Solid showing. I've done both pork butts and short ribs on my pellet and although I prefer over charcoal/wood, the pellet version always taste great. Enjoy your new cooker !! Show us some of your recipes cooked on it !!!

Comment

Congrats on both additions!

Comment

Thanks everyone! Looking forward to posting more with the Stampede. Tonight are pork chops. Right now, they're sitting in a little AR's huli-huli teriyaki marinade. Already reduced a large amount for the sauce tonight. Going to reverse sear on the Stampede (while painting the pork with sauce), then finish on the gasser using Grill Grates.

Comment

I recently bought one of these. I threw out my weber propane which was finally rotting out. I use the grill grates on the stampede. Sears nicely as far as i am concerned.

Comment

The Wi Fi controller on the Rec Tec is awesome. Great for a busy guy like you...

Comment

RAGBBQ Yeah, that's one of the reasons I went with the RecTec over some others. The WiFi was important for me. I also have a CyberQ for my WSM and a Joule sous vide. Basically, my life now is doing all seasoning/prep cooking at 11 pm when everyone is finally asleep. Then for long cooks get everything on at 6:00 before anyone wakes up. Then I'm WiFi temp control all day.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here