Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I put an aluminum container on the drip pan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I put an aluminum container on the drip pan?

I'm doing my first cook tomorrow on my Stampede, and I'm starting with a pork shoulder. I wanted to put an aluminum container underneath it to catch drippings to mix in with the pulled pork after the cook. Okay to put the container on the drip pan? Thanks

If it has room I don’t see why not. I usually smoke the piece at first without a pan and then place it in a pan to finish the rest of the cook and catch the drippings

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Donw Thanks. You do without at first to get smoke all around it?

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes.

I don’t know your cooker, but I line my drip pan with a double layer of aluminum foil. It makes clean up a lot easier.

Comment

I don’t know, can you?

Comment

• Smoking77
        Smoking77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Well put.

• Smoking77
        Smoking77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Turns out the answer is no. Not enough room.

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        I just ran into the same problem, go figure.

I also cover my DnG with foil, so you should be OK using an aluminum pan. I don't think there will be a problem placing the pan on the DnG at the start of the cook. I think Donw means actually placing the meat inside the pan. There should be no lack of smoke if you place the pan on the charcoal grate.

Comment

Why not make an drip pan with foil.

Comment

Can you use the upper rack w/ the drip pan on the main grate?

Comment

• Smoking77
            Smoking77 commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow, that's super inventive. Would never have thought to do that. Ended up just putting a baking grate over a casserole dish, and then putting the pork on the grate. That got it done.

Smoking77 Do you have a baking sheet pan?
          That should have enough of a low profile to fit where you need it.
          Wrap that in foil and you should be fine.

Comment

• Smoking77
            Smoking77 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, that could've worked, too Steve B. Thanks! Not a lot of space under there, but I think a shallow baking sheet would've done the trick.

Thanks all. Ended up cooking for the first few hours without a pan (although, I did put foil down on the drip pan for easy cleanup), then put the pork on a baking grate over a casserole dish pan for the rest of the cook. Got some great dripping to mix in with the pulled pork. Here is the end result. It was fantastic. Going to do a full writeup on my first Stampede cook when I have a chance. As always, thanks for all the help.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Pulled.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	722831

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here