Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

best method to calibrate temps in the bull?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best method to calibrate temps in the bull?

I got my RT-700 Bull last month, have cooked 5-6 times already - but I want to check the calibration, what thermometers work best and best placement in the smoker?

depends on how much money you want to spend, Fireboard works great

Comment

Originally posted by Brewmaster View Post
      depends on how much money you want to spend, Fireboard works great
      well it's just to test to be sure my temps are correct - dang those Fireboards look amazing, but not for a one-time test

Comment

The Thermworks Chefalarm will do the job, and you can calibrate your indoor oven too. You can also check your refrigerator, and it can also be used for cookin'.

Use the high/low feature to get the range, and your average temp will be in the middle.
        Last edited by RonB; January 25, 2019, 04:49 PM.

Comment

You can use any good thermo that ya trust. Smoke, FireBoard, anything good with a probe these days will work. And like RonB said, you will wind up using it on many different things.

As far as Rec Tec, I find their algorithms to be fantastic out of the box. If you are cooking good, and you like the cookin, then I would not bother. You may find that you are chasing something that don't need chasing.

But none the less, I too could not let it go. I did a first burn-in with my 590 and had the FireBoard just to see. But I have not used a thermo since. The dang thing just rocks every cook I throw at it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 4.45.32 PM.png
Views:	166
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	627623

Comment

This is how I did it with my RT-680. I should probably do it again now that I installed the new wi-fi controller. I moved the ambient probe around the grate for 30 minutes each location. "UL" means upper left etc.

Typically my grate runs 10-15 degrees hotter than the cooker probe reports unless the temps outside are below 75ish. Here in the desert, being below 75 degrees doesn't happen a lot throughout the year.

Click image for larger version

Name:	REC TEC AT 225.PNG
Views:	146
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	627707

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here