Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RecTec Grills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RecTec Grills

They have a website price reduction on their grills.
    I have been looking to find info on their grills. As the price reductions are good for me to try a pellet grill.

Tried the AR site first which reviewed an older, now discontinued model.
    The Rec Tec website includes a redirect to AR about that discontinued model
    -been to some pellet forums and the manufacturer appears to be super sensitive to negative reviews. I understand why.: I.e. some scathing stuff by a product owner.

Does anyone have some current info or any info about Rec Tec?

Thanks

I've had a Rec Tec for almost five years now. The only problem I've had is an igniter plug failure, which was promptly replaced at no charge. The unit holds temperature solidly.

Comment

I don’t think those are true price reductions. That is just their price all time even though they have another price with a line through it.

They had an epic meltdown when AR gave one of their products a bad reviews.

I called them one day to ask some questions. I told them I was considering a pellet smoker and what ones I was looking at. I asked them about what was different about their unit etc... instead of talking to me about their Cooker they just started completely dogging the other companies I named.

That experience coupled with how they react to reviews and criticism as kept me away thus far.

That all being said.... the folks that own them for the most part seem to advocate for them and I think they do have a decent product.

For what it is worth I was/am still looking at Grillas and BlazN Grill Works and a couple others. Had to put my purchase on hold because of a surgery and needing a new roof.

Comment

I am pretty sure the slashed prices on the website are permanent, not a special sale. I purchased the RT-340 Trailblazer in May and paid the current price of $599.
        Overall, I like the grill and do not regret my purchase. It is my first pellet smoker, so I don't really have anything to compare it to.
        The first time I fired it up to smoke some meat, I couldn’t get the temperature below 260 degrees. It was a Saturday morning, but customer service answered the phone on the second ring and walked me through the process to lower the auger speed. That solved the problem.
        Also, check out the RecTec sub-forum for additional feedback. That includes my rust problem (now fixed with touchup paint) which has been my only gripe.

Comment

I don't have any experience with Rec-Tec ... but I did recently purchase a Grilla pellet pooper and, in addition to making a great product, their customer service is off the charts outstanding. Seriously worthy of consideration if you're thinking of looking at Rec-Tec alternative(s).

Comment

I bought the Stampede less than 2 months ago. WiFi is awesome and it’s very easy to use. The lid didn’t fit just right, they sent me a new one immediately. 2nd one didn’t fit perfect either, so I handled it myself by making an aluminum foil gasket.
            Holds temp well, food tastes pretty good even as I’m learning it’s sweet spots.
            Best thing is the stainless steel. Looks great will last forever

Comment

I have an older R-680 and a Bullseye, I like them both. The R-680 is a solid grill and a solid performer as I think all their offerings are except the bullseye, I put it in a different category. I purchased the bullseye almost on impulse, I can understand some of the negative feedback, My first impression was not good. I added a gasket to the hopper lid, adjusted my expectations a little and learned to use it and it is now one of my most used cookers for smaller cooks to add some smoke before searing/finishing on something else or cooking smaller batches of chicken.

Comment

• SMOG MAN
                SMOG MAN commented
                Editing a comment
                I did just upgrade the R-680 controller to add WiFi. Both old & new controllers work great but I do like the added WiFi, probes and the RecTec app also seems solid.

I have the Rec Tec Trailblazer since about March or April of this year. I'm really happy with the meals that have come out of it. You can look around the forum for some of the food pics I have posted. I think quality of the finished food is most important. The Trailblazer is well built, and I like the size for just my wife and I. I like the portable aspect of it, and have taken it with to the RV park. The WiFi works great. I got rid of all of my other grills and smokers and have not regretted it; this pellet cooker will cover all bases. Easy to use, convenient, and excellent results. This is the only pellet cooker I've ever owned, so so can't compare with others, but overall I'm satisfied with my choice.

Comment

• Mark E.
                Mark E. commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks. I'll look for your smoke as I pass thru going to/from Klamath.

Having window shopped Rectec smokers for a year or two, I can also state that these "slashed" prices are the normal prices. They just like to make it look like they've discounted it, but they've always been at those price points.

The RT-700 is basically the same as the RT-690 you read a review of, but with a color change up, and wifi added to the controller.

Comment

Thanks all. Anything more is welcome. I may take a chance on one as of today anyway, (price good-for an entry level) just to get my feet wet as they say. Buyer beware and you only get what you pay for, words from my parents echo in my brain. Hoping that Rec Tec has some improvements incorporated to protect their branding.

Comment

• Mark E.
                  Mark E. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Missed a video by the owners but after seeing that : indeed changes appear to have been made or were just no change to what was original.

I missed that sub forum. That was until a few minutes ago.... Lots of info. Thanks.

Comment

I've had the RT-680 for about 2.5 years and have zero complaints. I recently had to replace the igniter rod which is expected to last 12-18 months. Customer service is outstanding. As far as the price, the $1798 is probably the grill and the "kitchen sink". That's how my 680 was advertised. "The kitchen sink" included a whole bunch of accessories, rubs and pellets. I could have just gotten the grill for the about the same currently advertised price. I wish I would have just gotten the grill as a lot of the accessories and rubs I never used. The front shelf was really the only must have accessory. I too recently replaced the controller with the new standard wi fi controller and man, that thing is slick! Having the ability to turn on your grill remotely and monitor/adjust temps is super convenient. You may also want to compare warranties. I believe Rec Tec's 6yr warranty is better than anyone else's.

Comment

• Mark E.
                    Mark E. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good info, Ordered a Trailblazer today-no vibes to dissuade me.
                    Last edited by Mark E.; November 9, 2018, 02:28 PM.

• treesmacker
                    treesmacker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think you'll like your choice. For the accessories, I think the optional bottom shelf is the best - it really stabilizes the whole unit, and it looks nice and is useful as well. If you want a cover, the one they offer is high quality and perfect fit. Next, the Grill Grates are wonderful for searing. Being the Trailblazer is a small unit, I think you'll find you can get it very hot for pizza etc.

• Mark E.
                    Mark E. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The Youtube video Ron and Ray have up discusses a ceramic lighter/igniter rod, good for 100,000 cycles.

Got that Trailblazer. Assembly, directions, WiFi, app, and first cook-great.

I can say nothing but good things in contrast to some of the online reviewers.

I get the feeling that some of the reviewers out there in cyberland would have trouble with giving a teaspoon a decent look-i.e writing something like it doesn't stir well.

Thanks for the helpful stuff from all of us in the AR "clan". Definitely some solid people, helpful words.

Anything that comes up for awareness, I'll let yall know

M.

Last edited by Mark E.; November 14, 2018, 07:42 AM.

Comment

• SmokeyGator
                    SmokeyGator commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Enjoy it! That the most important thing. Rec-Tec has a good reputation. Almost got one of the older models myself, but went in a different direction.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here